Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8221 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto

Opinions on Subnautica - Xbone

Thinking about getting the game preview of $20 from MS, wondering if anyone has been playing it and if it will roll over into the full game? Surprised it already hasn't since the game is out.
3 replies
Jan 10, 2009
519 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure how that preview rolls over, surprised it's still available. However Subnautica is a fabulous game. Been playing it on the PC for about a year and a half. I hate water and the game is just creepy enough to be nightmare fuel but not enough to stop me playing it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8221 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, was reading on the subnautica website about v1.0 and all the patches to the game. They have a dashboard to where all the issues are logged. After reading some of the forums on the game, I've decided to hold out for now until the roll up, v1, is completed and submitted to xbl. I need achievements!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8221 posts
2339 upvotes
Toronto
Ok guys, just to update this thread.

I did indeed buy the preview version. From my understanding of the forums, it will be rolled into v1, update yet to be pushed to the XBL marketplace. First impression is awesome. It took me a few minutes to get the controls down, bashing with the trigger, trying to navigate and pickup an item at once is a little challenging. I can see the benefit of a kbrd/mouse, so PC should be better controls.
Atmosphere is fantastic. There was little information on 'how to', basically I spent the first 2-3hrs just swimming around, trying to get as much items as possible to build whatever I could before dying. I didn't realise there were aquatic life that could do this or that (no spoilers). Generally in this time, I completely forgot that you can swim behind you, normally in games, I find that you always move forward, so getting the simplistic down, IE; turn around and swim a different way, yielded better results. Crafting is fun, but material gathering can be a pain.

While I did do a game save, I think that I'll start off a new game, requiring the use of food/water, this weekend. I'm really enjoying this game so far. While I would appreciate better controls from a 1st person (there is no layout config from what I can tell, so button mash until you figure them out) the game is quite fun. The graphics are beautiful, and I look forward to getting the xbox version to where the PC version is today. Preview is pretty dang good and for $20, why not?