• Feb 17th, 2005 1:11 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
6 upvotes

opionions on 2001-2002 Acura 1.7EL

My brother is looking for a car as his got totalled 2 weeks ago.

Insurance gave us back $6900 for our 1998/w 130000K Protege and my parents are willing to add another $7-8K on top of that.

He was thinking of jus getting a 2002 civic LX ($12000 or so) until a i saw a few ads for the 1.7EL in autotrader..

2002 1.7EL premium pkg /w51K for $14995
2001 1.7EL premium pkg /w 43K for $14995

in my opionion that is not bad considering the civic with same mileage and year wont be that much cheaper..and the 1.7 comes with sunroof, leather, heated seats, keyless. spoiler and more..

i've never driven a 1.7EL so cant tell whether it is good or not...the dealer is 30 mins away from my house so i would like some opionions before i head out for a test drive

anyone here care to share some experiences?

really apprecaite it
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1153 posts
2 upvotes
When I was looking at a new car a few years back I was looking at that car, the limited gold edition though. I took it for a drive and man was it nice. Reason I didn't buy it, it was an over priced Honda... That was new though. I think they are pretty nice cars myself.
They call me Monster.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14494 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
Bortman wrote:When I was looking at a new car a few years back I was looking at that car, the limited gold edition though. I took it for a drive and man was it nice. Reason I didn't buy it, it was an over priced Honda... That was new though. I think they are pretty nice cars myself.
Acura is Honda with a tuxedo on.
The materials are better. The fit and finish is a little better.
Its not over priced if you consider they are generally better equipped.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1746 posts
1055 upvotes
I have a 1.6el, and the 1.7 is the generation after that.

If your not looking for a fast car this is it, it has decent power to change lines, but dont expect to beat a ferrari.

I love all the features in the car, leather, heated seats and mirror, sunroof.

and the one thing that civics dont have, 4 disc brakes.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2004
4952 posts
1086 upvotes
the 1.7EL is a Honda Civic with an Acura badge....

same car.... actually... it's a sedan SI....

even with 4 disc brakes.... if you are running on stock rubber.... it HAS to be garbage... those stock tires give out so quickly during stops.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm not sure if the 2002 model had it, but current ELs have side airbags, which Civics don't offer. Other than that though, they're basically Civics in tuxedos, as stated earlier. Which is a good thing considering how popular and reliable the Civic is.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10409 posts
1123 upvotes
Toronto
ronny1980 wrote:My brother is looking for a car as his got totalled 2 weeks ago.

Insurance gave us back $6900 for our 1998/w 130000K Protege and my parents are willing to add another $7-8K on top of that.

He was thinking of jus getting a 2002 civic LX ($12000 or so) until a i saw a few ads for the 1.7EL in autotrader..

2002 1.7EL premium pkg /w51K for $14995
2001 1.7EL premium pkg /w 43K for $14995

in my opionion that is not bad considering the civic with same mileage and year wont be that much cheaper..and the 1.7 comes with sunroof, leather, heated seats, keyless. spoiler and more..

i've never driven a 1.7EL so cant tell whether it is good or not...the dealer is 30 mins away from my house so i would like some opionions before i head out for a test drive

anyone here care to share some experiences?

really apprecaite it

the car is a the same like a honda civic. just more luxery good in it..

look into its bigger brother... honda accord or look at the tsx.. or even a rsx..

www.torontoaccords.com

talk to people who drive that car..

or civic's 7thgen civic or honda or something along the like there.. serach it.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
[QUOTE]look into its bigger brother... honda accord or look at the tsx[/QUOTE]

Please tell me where I can get a TSX for $15K as I will be there asap to pick it up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
I say go for a used Protege ES.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2003
4466 posts
6 upvotes
frogger wrote:I say go for a used Protege ES.
the car he totalled is a protege.. so he would rather drive a different car..

this post is more about is it worth spending the extra $2-3K for the 1.7EL or just get the civic for around $12000...

we have a budget...my 19 yr old bro doesnt need a tsx..

thanks for all the input tho..
Why are hurricanes named after women? When they come they are wet and wild but when they leave they take your house AND your car.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7777 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
Used Focus SVT? Just trying to be devil's advocate/get him into something sportier than a Civic/EL (thus the SVT and Pro ES).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Its an embellished Civic but i like it all the same. More luxurious than civic with leather seats etc and looks better then the civic with Acura grill and lights etc.

IT is also reflective of a vehicle a more mature person might drive so not sure if it will help with insurance and the stigma associated with honda civics and young recklessness. :cheesygri If the price is right i say go for it.
Feb 5, 2005
649 posts
93 upvotes
A guy at my work has a 2004 el and loves it, Myslef id get the 2001 with less km's for less money, also honda lx isnt even the top model ? you be better of comparing the 1.7 el to a civic si .Acura !p.s. i own an rsx so im kinda biased
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2002
1608 posts
479 upvotes
Back on topic. For the 3 grand difference, go with the Acura with the extra features. Both the Civic and the 1.7 are good cars, you can't go wrong with either one.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2003
14494 posts
252 upvotes
Mississauga
frogger wrote:Used Focus SVT? Just trying to be devil's advocate/get him into something sportier than a Civic/EL (thus the SVT and Pro ES).
Are you serious? Do people like you still exist?

Please stop comparing domestic cars with imports.
It just doesn't hold water.
Heatware 47-0

"Giving money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
Apr 1, 2004
567 posts
41 upvotes
Vancouver
imo the 1.7 look too much like the civcs, they are really the same car with a few differneces. Is it worth the 2-3k diff? Personally i dont think so. You should get a quote on a comparable civic, real numbers will help you make the desicion.
Banned
Jul 6, 2004
110 posts
akito925 wrote:the car is a the same like a honda civic. just more luxery good in it..

look into its bigger brother... honda accord or look at the tsx.. or even a rsx..

www.torontoaccords.com

talk to people who drive that car..

or civic's 7thgen civic or honda or something along the like there.. serach it.
tsx? wow. while you're at it, why not mention the TL or even the RL.

If you read the post, he's looking for a car in the 15K range. Not a car that's double that.

:mad:
May 21, 2002
425 posts
124 upvotes
picked up a 2001 EL Premium this past August..

Power - decent, it'll get you around just fine. Lane changes on the highway are relatively painless and overtaking others is possible (hey, it wasn't possible in my '97 corolla)

Gas consumption - not bad at all; i can get from scarborough to waterloo on less than a quarter tank (sorry, never bothered recording for actual numbers). Takes regular 87.

Interior - I've always found it.. rather spartan. Don't get me wrong, the seats are good quality, its aesthetically pleasing, and all the dash controls are withing reach, but it just seems a bit bare. Thats expected though, its a glorified civic. Stock sound system isn't too great; as long as you change out the deck and throw in some components, you'll be good.

Looks - meh, its a civic (you'll hear this a LOT..) Only differences are the hood, front grill, and rear lights. Paint is pretty good quality.

other notes:
-stock tires really aren't too great, but then again, they never are
-brakes are pretty good
-sunroof is nice, decent size
-driverside armrest is too small
-chrome around the shiftknob scratches easily
-seats have tiny holes in them, don't bother using cream conditioner