Opportunities to make extra money as a Police Officer

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2017 7:40 am
[OP]
Oct 8, 2017
4 posts

Opportunities to make extra money as a Police Officer

Hello,

This question mainly is aimed towards Canadian (specifically Ontario) police officers but can be answered by anyone.
For police officers or someone who knows a police officer, what are the opportunities to increase one's income as a police officer in addition to their salary?

Are there a lot of paid duty opportunities? Ability to have a side job? I know someone who is studying to become a Chartered Accountant and tells me that going into the police force as a Chartered Accountant offers you the opportunity of having a good side job while potentially going into white-collar crime divisions. Is it possible to become a police officer and potentially have my own practice (example: doing people's taxes?) How about becoming a paralegal? Thanks in advance for any input!

Edit: I get that the main reason to becoming a police officer is not for the money. But when you can do something you like, help society, AND finds ways to make a lot of money it becomes a win-win haha
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1751 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
I remember in the news of one officer getting a quarter million a year by showing up at court for people fighting tickets that he gave. It seems that he gave out tons of questionable tickets and showed up for 10 minutes and got paid for 4 hours of work for it.

Also, police can provide private security to firms and people and charge like $68/ hour or higher.

It is very tough to become an officer. Your chances do go up a little if you are a minority women that work with trouble youth. There are 3 PhDs currently serving in the TPD.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15202 posts
4265 upvotes
Ottawa
Complete the following first; if you have any type of interest in becoming a police officer.

1. OACP Certificate
2. CPR Level C certification certificate
3. First Aid certification certificate
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14096 posts
1501 upvotes
Toronto
I've heard accepting bribes is fairly lucrative.

Joking aside, most police officers usually take up pay duty positions when they need extra money. They stand guard over construction sites, concerts, sports games, etc and get paid pretty well for it. Some of them also have side businesses like restaurants, personal training, firearms instruction, etc.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Nov 10, 2015
966 posts
244 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
A typical police shift is four days on and four days off. Those four days off give plenty of opportunity time pick up additional shifts at the same rate as the officer's normal pay. Any side jobs will likely pay a lot less. And those additional shifts give the choice of banking the hours or taking the pay.
This can easily push one's annual income to over $100,000.
Apr 5, 2017
115 posts
106 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
poleman wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:22 pm
A typical police shift is four days on and four days off. Those four days off give plenty of opportunity time pick up additional shifts at the same rate as the officer's normal pay. Any side jobs will likely pay a lot less. And those additional shifts give the choice of banking the hours or taking the pay.
This can easily push one's annual income to over $100,000.
But that's rotating days and nights, is it not? Say, 4 on (days) 4 off, and then, 4 on (nights), 4 off. I thought even the 80k+ = hell of a lot of overtime with no social life and 90%+ chance of divorce, closet alcohol/substance abuse, ... etc. at least from what I've heard (sources: a co-worker, who is the son of a cop, some cops currently in the/a force, ... ) start at 70k then get raises, OT, extra shifts, holiday shifts, event shifts, etc. so you can make what you're willing to put in.

100k+ is at least the base salary of the high up white collar inspectors/supervisors/detectives, for sure. Even 150k for detective I think it was.

Newly recruited RCMP being shipped off to different places must be hard on them as well. They start at 75k, I think.

It is something not a lot of people would want to do...although I could be wrong?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4697 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
Being from a cop family, I think it's better to look at those business opportunities using police experience after your service, i.e. retire after 25 years then focus on businesses.

It's doable to do things on the side during, but you need to experience the shift work first to know if you can do the side jobs on a consistent basis.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Feb 14, 2016
857 posts
262 upvotes
Why would you want an extra job?

Police is already an easiest and safest job with least amount of stress in Canada

Easily making 6 digits ; more than half of the police force make 6 digits and most of them make as much as Dentist and doctor
"A Toronto police constable who earned $244,000 in 2014";
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/ ... -year.html
Nov 10, 2015
966 posts
244 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
JIB9022 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:39 pm

Police is already an easiest and safest job with least amount of stress in Canada

Easily making 6 digits ; more than half of the police force make 6 digits and most of them make as much as Dentist and doctor
Easiest and safest job, little stress? You've got to be kidding. Where did you dig up that info from?
Shift work can be a killer. Two 12 hour day shifts, then two 12 hour graveyard shifts, with the last one ending at 7 am of your first day off.
People that could be HIV positive spitting on you, drivers fingering you as they drive by. Little kids being told to watch out for the policeman or he'll put you in jail, pulling dead bodies out of cars, telling spouses or parents that a close relative has been killed, having defence lawyers attempt to rip apart your statement while they defend a doucebag, half hour before your graveyard shift ends you get hit with a case that involves 2 to 3 hours of paperwork.
Do you want more examples of this easy, safe, stress-free job?
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4239 posts
1376 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 8:01 pm
Easiest and safest job, little stress? You've got to be kidding. Where did you dig up that info from?
Shift work can be a killer. Two 12 hour day shifts, then two 12 hour graveyard shifts, with the last one ending at 7 am of your first day off.
People that could be HIV positive spitting on you, drivers fingering you as they drive by. Little kids being told to watch out for the policeman or he'll put you in jail, pulling dead bodies out of cars, telling spouses or parents that a close relative has been killed, having defence lawyers attempt to rip apart your statement while they defend a doucebag, half hour before your graveyard shift ends you get hit with a case that involves 2 to 3 hours of paperwork.
Do you want more examples of this easy, safe, stress-free job?
You forgot:

All while being recorded by a cell phone and put on youtube for judge and jury.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2702 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa
JIB9022 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:39 pm

It's not one of the most dangerous jobs out there but is more dangerous than the "average" job, if for no other reason than the majority of jobs out there are really safe.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/life/t ... ndmail.com&
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1176 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
Jungle wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 8:50 pm
You forgot:

All while being recorded by a cell phone and put on youtube for judge and jury.
To keep them honest.

It may be a case of a small few ruining it for the majority but there has been a bit of awareness recently on a few cops power tripping and the only thing holding them accountable to the public and the justice system are these videos.

Cops should be respected, but they are not above the law. The forces have earned the public's distrust and trust isn't free. The cameras are that cost to rebuilding the trust.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5032 posts
580 upvotes
Don't know if it is still common these days but when my dad was still active duty it was fairly popular for off-duty cops to work at clubs as part of the security details.

They don't mix it up in fights, but it is helpful to have someone on the "inside" if you need to make a call for some police help, or best way to handle a situation from a legal POV.
May 8, 2007
945 posts
229 upvotes
Westside
Sell off everything in the evidence room.