• Dec 5th, 2017 6:19 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 21, 2005
479 posts
5 upvotes

Opt out of EI

Every paycheque, a portion goes towards EI. Can I opt out of paying it somehow? I am fine with NOT having any employment insurance (and signing any waivers or whatever).
I'm not looking for opinions on whether this is a wise move or not...I simple want to know if it's possible.

thanks
68 replies
Sep 29, 2007
473 posts
82 upvotes
Port Colborne
guy312 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2010 10:53 pm
Every paycheque, a portion goes towards EI. Can I opt out of paying it somehow? I am fine with NOT having any employment insurance (and signing any waivers or whatever).
I'm not looking for opinions on whether this is a wise move or not...I simple want to know if it's possible.

thanks

Absolutely! simply stop working.

Merry Christmas!
Sep 21, 2004
8864 posts
2398 upvotes
Calgary
Millstone wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2010 10:57 pm
Absolutely! simply stop working.

Merry Christmas!

Or be self-employed or start a business. But honestly, anyone who opts out of EI is short-sighted.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
58 upvotes
Burlington
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2010 11:10 pm
Or be self-employed or start a business. But honestly, anyone who opts out of EI is short-sighted.

Don't hire any employees though, since you have to match their contributions at a 1.4:1 basis.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1921 posts
99 upvotes
You can't opt out of paying EI or CPP
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2792 posts
324 upvotes
Alberta
Wilmega wrote:
Dec 24th, 2010 8:37 am
You can't opt out of paying EI or CPP

Which is a damn good thing, or every tard like this guy would opt out then cry when they lost their jobs.
Jan 7, 2015
1 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
scouzer wrote:
Dec 24th, 2010 9:03 am
Which is a damn good thing, or every tard like this guy would opt out then cry when they lost their jobs.
not every works a normal 9 to 5. im a freelancer, and E.I. for people like me is pointless, i pay thousands into it and never see that much back. it also takes forever to go through the process and can take up to two months to receive anything, and that's if there are no snags in the paper work, which as a freelancer i have several companies worth of paper work, not just one or two. it can be a head ache and when i needed it i lost my apartment cause they took so long to get me money, three and a half months before my first payment and when i did get it the work picked back up and a year and a bit later they contacted me demanding money back because i got a job again and they said i was trying to fraudulently collect money, when i used that money to pay all the way past due bills i had. wanting to opt. out isn't foolish for everyone.

get your self a GST number and charge you clients as a sub contractor. be smart with your money and you can get out of it that way. dont spend it on stupid stuff. when you decide to do this you should do so at your busiest time of the year and stash three months of bills money rent and food/ transport money.
Feb 20, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
It's not shortsighted I've beven in need of ei and twice denied. And my fiance was a great employear work lots of extra hours just to be fired then denied also. I would opt out if I could too
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1460 posts
448 upvotes
User013501 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 7:10 pm
It's not shortsighted I've beven in need of ei and twice denied. And my fiance was a great employear work lots of extra hours just to be fired then denied also. I would opt out if I could too
It is short sighted. I don't see how you would be denied twice but unless you either quit from both positions or you were terminated with cause which in both cases you wouldn't be entitled to benefits.
Mar 12, 2017
1 posts
It depends on your circumstances. My siblings and I work for my father and when my sister stopped working for the company she attempted to apply for EI. She was told that since her father (my dad) is her boss that she would never be illegible to receive EI. There have been several cases where people have had to sue to get back what they have put in over the years after being told that they would never be illegible due to working with family.
Apr 16, 2017
1 posts
5 upvotes
No, actually. Some of us have savings and emergency find to weather us through layoffs and short-term unemployment. For us, the EI is basically giving money away for absolutely nothing. EI is definitely a good thing for someone just starting a career, or in debt, but there should be an option to opt-out for us who dont need it. Not a single situation I could think of where it would help me or others in my situation
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2792 posts
324 upvotes
Alberta
fistofrage wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:05 am
No, actually. Some of us have savings and emergency find to weather us through layoffs and short-term unemployment. For us, the EI is basically giving money away for absolutely nothing. EI is definitely a good thing for someone just starting a career, or in debt, but there should be an option to opt-out for us who dont need it. Not a single situation I could think of where it would help me or others in my situation
Well, you'd be able to claim EI regardless of your financial planning. So this argument is pretty moot.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7818 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
fistofrage wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 2:05 am
Totally. I've never been in an accident, why am I paying insurance? Even if I get in an accident I've saved up enough to pay off whatever. I'm such a baller like that.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10165 posts
589 upvotes
Have some kids and get some of that money back.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4863 posts
937 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
In short, you can't unless you become self-employed. Goverment's economic theory is it stabilizes national consumption, as when people lose their jobs they can still spend a little and won't go completely into financial turmoil.