Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2008
697 posts
97 upvotes
Markham
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2010 11:10 pm
Or be self-employed or start a business. But honestly, anyone who opts out of EI is short-sighted.
not for those of us who are ambitious, hire-able, have cash reserves, or a bank of mom & dad. I realize much of the population don't fall into any of the mentioned categories, but then at the very least, having the choice of opting out would be nice. Why not leave it to the people who opt out to 'regret' their decision, right?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3054 posts
1078 upvotes
Edmonton
If only high risk people were to opt in for the program and everyone else opted out, the rates would go through the roof. That's not the way social programs function.

C
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4159 posts
594 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
unowned wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 5:06 am
not for those of us who are ambitious, hire-able, have cash reserves, or a bank of mom & dad. I realize much of the population don't fall into any of the mentioned categories, but then at the very least, having the choice of opting out would be nice. Why not leave it to the people who opt out to 'regret' their decision, right?
That's my rationale as well. It's like me choosing not to put collision insurance on my older vehicles. Well if something happens and I'm at fault. Tough luck. But I saved money for that to happen.

I pay a pretty penny of EI but hardly ever draw from it. The longest period of consecutive unemployment in my entire working career has been 3 weeks. If by any unfortunate circumstance I'm out of work for 6+ months. I have savings for that.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
unowned wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 5:06 am
Why are people so ambitious and hireable so concerned about a $900/year safety net? Opting out isn't part of how group insurance policy works. I'd expect ambitious people that are so hireable to understand that basic principle.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1210 posts
330 upvotes
FirstGear wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 8:32 am
That's my rationale as well. It's like me choosing not to put collision insurance on my older vehicles. Well if something happens and I'm at fault. Tough luck. But I saved money for that to happen.

I pay a pretty penny of EI but hardly ever draw from it. The longest period of consecutive unemployment in my entire working career has been 3 weeks. If by any unfortunate circumstance I'm out of work for 6+ months. I have savings for that.
Two weeks of payment on EI is more than a whole year of contributions.

I would say it's a bargain if you ever need it and don't understand why people would want to drain all of their savings just in order to save peanuts on the premiums.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1841 posts
224 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't see why you guys are complaining. The max ei premium is only $836 and max insure earnings is 51k. So for you guys that apparently put "thousands" each year is bull.
So for a measly $836 you are guaranteed a steady income unless you lost your job and it's your fault.

Don't like it? Go self employed/sub contractor or move!
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9993 posts
518 upvotes
Does all of Canada allow you to collect EI for parental/maternity leave? Or is that just ontario?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7611 posts
1203 upvotes
Edmonton
slowtyper wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 1:59 pm
Does all of Canada allow you to collect EI for parental/maternity leave? Or is that just ontario?
EI is a federal program
Sep 13, 2016
304 posts
113 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 5:12 pm
I don't see why you guys are complaining. The max ei premium is only $836 and max insure earnings is 51k. So for you guys that apparently put "thousands" each year is bull.
So for a measly $836 you are guaranteed a steady income unless you lost your job and it's your fault.

Don't like it? Go self employed/sub contractor or move!
The current figure is 955.04$. But even then, if one is allowed to opt out, this 955$ will only translate to something around 600$ a year, post tax.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel