• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2015 9:57 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 8, 2014
18 posts
3 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
One of the pros can correct me if im wrong, but my understanding is that its a coating that goes over the existing paint / clear coat and acts as another layer of protection to the vehicle. The nice thing for me is that it lasts for years so you don't have to spend every weekend washing and waxing the car. Instead you can be driving it!

I thought of it as a permanent wax. Or rather more permanent than actual wax.
Oct 11, 2007
261 posts
32 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
Nov 15th, 2014 10:59 am
Is opti coat an alternative to redoing the entire clear coat?

I imagine to redo a clear coat one might have to strip all the paint and redo the paint as well as clear?

While with opticoat it's just a matter of polishing and cleaning the paint, then opticoating.

Just asking as at $700 to opticoat, and a new paint job with clear around a $1000 minimum?
Opti Coat is a coating that bonds to existing clearcoat. To redo the clearcoat, yes you'd have to essentially repaint the panel or car, depending on the pre-existing condition of your vehicle. A new paint job is well over $1000 though. A decent paint job is a minimum of $3000-4000 usually. Preservation and protection of your existing clearcoat is the intention behind Opti Coat Pro
vdemko wrote:
Nov 15th, 2014 11:48 am
Any dealers in YEG?
I'm not familiar with that area. Edmonton?

Here's a list of the authorized installers:

Autowerkes Exclusive- Attn: Ken Wilson
300-20170 Stewart Cres. Maple Ridge, BC
(604) 561-5121 , detailguy@shaw.ca
www.autowerksexclusive.ca

Detailing Bliss - Attn: Juan Carlos Baca
1530 Aviation Rd NE, Calgary, AB
(403) 614-5614, cbaca@shaw.ca
www.detailingbliss.ca

Mobile Reflections - Attn: Jed Bouscal
Kincora Dr, Calgary, AB
(403) 863 8019, jed@mobilereflections.ca
www.mobilereflections.ca

Scotty’s Shine Shop - Attn: Scott Perkin
210 York St. London, ON
(519) 434-2922, scott.perkin@shineshop.ca
www.shineshop.ca

GTA in Detail – Attn: Kevin Hamill
1075 Meyerside Dr. Mississauga, ON
(647 203 5164, kevin@gtaindetail.com
www.gtaindetail.com

Make It Shine - Attn: Kaval Vilkhu
Brampton, ON
(647) 241 6832, kaval@makeitshine.ca
www.makeitshine.ca

Orion Detailing Company - Attn: Wes Robles
Leaside Business Park, Toronto, ON
(647) 999-8499, info@oriondetailing.co
www.oriondetailing.co

Concours Touch – Attn: Bryan Walroth
8240 Enfield Rd, Hampton, ON
(905)999-5215, bryanwalroth@gmail.com
www.concourstouch.com

Upper Class Detailing – Attn: Vlad Cropacev
Ottawa, ON,
1 877 450 6419, vladc613@gmail.com
www.upperclassdetailing.com

MTL Auto Detail - Attn: Nico Riveros
Rue des Risseaux, L’île-Perrot, QC
(514) 573-6598, info@mtlautodetail.com
www.mtlautodetail.com

Swifty’s – Attn: Mathew Swift-Brennan
8665 Décarie, Montreal, QC
(514) 448-6266, matt@swiftys.ca
www.swiftys.ca

Répare-Brise- Attn: Yvan Lacroix
Various Locations throughout Quebec
Opti-Coat Pro Canadain Distributor
1 877 772 7774, yvan@repare-brise.net
www.repare-brise.net

Prestige Esthétique Automobile – Attn: Dany Tremblay
3222 Ave Du Pont N, Alma, QC
(418) 662 4572, danytremblay58@hotmail.com
www.facebook.com/almaautodetailing

House of Details Bedford – Attn: Dave Wilson
9 Symonds Rd. Bedford, NS
(902) 404 1500, info@houseofautodetails.ca
www.houseofautodetails.ca
No advertising in sigs - Mods
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1171 posts
179 upvotes
This past summer, I had my car opti-coated with OCP (will withhold by whom for now). Despite the car being brand new, quite a bit of paint correction was still required (which apparently from my readings, is not uncommon since dealers can mess the car up). The factory paint was a really nice black pearl and looked amazing when it is clean. However, after the opti coat, it still looked nice and shiny but something was bothering me. At the time, I didn't quite know whether it was in my head, but the paint no longer dazzled me like it did prior to the opti-coat. The reflection from the car seems distorted like I can almost see the extra layer of coating. Anyways, I thought it may be just me being anal (and my mind playing tricks) and didn't say anything.

Recently, I scraped the side of my car on a pillar :( After getting it repaired, I noticed the newly painted area's reflection is crisp and clear (like when it was prior to opti-coat). After further reading on forums on paint jobs, I think the opti-coat caused a strong orange peel effect (only heard about this terminology 2 weeks ago). The reflections are wavy and have that orange peel look.

Is above plausible and did anyone else experienced the same thing after the opti-coat? Was it a result of the person not applying the OCP properly? The person has good feedbacks and would surprise me if it was not applied properly. The orange peel is not even slight but very evident. I am considering re-applying OCP to the newly painted area to keep it consistent (i.e. orange peel) with the rest of the car.

*Edit.. obviously, the better solution would be to get rid of the orange peel but unsure if that is possible without removing the OCP.
Sep 10, 2009
304 posts
21 upvotes
Meridian wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 7:17 pm
This past summer, I had my car opti-coated with OCP (will withhold by whom for now). Despite the car being brand new, quite a bit of paint correction was still required (which apparently from my readings, is not uncommon since dealers can mess the car up). The factory paint was a really nice black pearl and looked amazing when it is clean. However, after the opti coat, it still looked nice and shiny but something was bothering me. At the time, I didn't quite know whether it was in my head, but the paint no longer dazzled me like it did prior to the opti-coat. The reflection from the car seems distorted like I can almost see the extra layer of coating. Anyways, I thought it may be just me being anal (and my mind playing tricks) and didn't say anything.

Recently, I scraped the side of my car on a pillar :( After getting it repaired, I noticed the newly painted area's reflection is crisp and clear (like when it was prior to opti-coat). After further reading on forums on paint jobs, I think the opti-coat caused a strong orange peel effect (only heard about this terminology 2 weeks ago). The reflections are wavy and have that orange peel look.

Is above plausible and did anyone else experienced the same thing after the opti-coat? Was it a result of the person not applying the OCP properly? The person has good feedbacks and would surprise me if it was not applied properly. The orange peel is not even slight but very evident. I am considering re-applying OCP to the newly painted area to keep it consistent (i.e. orange peel) with the rest of the car.
The repainted area most likely has a better paint job/finish than the original paint in terms of orange peel which is why you are seeing a reduction. Does opti coat pro add orange peel? No, it is not thick enough to do that, at it's thickest point it is 2 microns, an avg. human hair is 50 microns so you can't even see it.

Edit: The reason you may be seeing orange peel now is because there is no paint imperfections such as swirls and scratches distracting you from the OP. Test it, have the installer apply OCP on the repainted area and see if the Orange Peel returns.
Signature removed by MOD. No advertising and no external links are allowed in signatures
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1171 posts
179 upvotes
hamza7 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 7:22 pm
The repainted area most likely has a better paint job/finish than the original paint in terms of orange peel which is why you are seeing a reduction. Does opti coat pro add orange peel? No, it is not thick enough to do that, at it's thickest point it is 2 microns, an avg. human hair is 50 microns so you can't even see it.

Edit: The reason you may be seeing orange peel now is because there is no paint imperfections such as swirls and scratches distracting you from the OP. Test it, have the installer apply OCP on the repainted area and see if the Orange Peel returns.
Isn't the orange peel caused by the clear coat which is also super thin? I was actually really happy with the original factory paint (except for some minor scratches) and was surprised quite a bit of paint correction was required. As indicated, prior to OCP, I was really dazzled by the paint and its reflection (and never noticed the orange peel). If paint correction makes me see it, it seems to defeat its purpose. The newly painted area looked like it did prior to OCP (don't think it is a better paint job). My friend thinks exactly the same so it is not just me.
Sep 10, 2009
304 posts
21 upvotes
Meridian wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 7:53 pm
Isn't the orange peel caused by the clear coat which is also super thin? I was actually really happy with the original factory paint (except for some minor scratches) and was surprised quite a bit of paint correction was required. As indicated, prior to OCP, I was really dazzled by the paint and its reflection (and never noticed the orange peel). If paint correction makes me see it, it seems to defeat its purpose. The newly painted area looked like it did prior to OCP (don't think it is a better paint job). My friend thinks exactly the same so it is not just me.
Clear coat is more like 10-15 microns on newer, normal cars. Paint correct doesn't make you see more orange peel, I was just saying because maybe your paint had defects you didn't notice the existing orange peel. You may be correct, but I've never noticed added orange due to a paint coating, have your installer apply the Opti coat and see if it actually adds orange peel. One more thing I have to say is if the dealership detailed the vehicle prior to pick up, you may have had a glaze on the vehicle. A glaze can reduce things like orange peel. I'm just trying to bring in all the factors.
Signature removed by MOD. No advertising and no external links are allowed in signatures
Sep 10, 2009
304 posts
21 upvotes
Also there are details that can reduce or remove orange peel fyi but are usually very costly and not recommended for daily drivers(reducing the life of your clear coat), better to leave the clear coat on so accidental scratches or swirls can be removed safely.

Also that means removing and reapply your paint coating.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
Meridian wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 7:17 pm

*Edit.. obviously, the better solution would be to get rid of the orange peel but unsure if that is possible without removing the OCP.
Did the car look great after the opticoat was done??
Jan 18, 2010
380 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Opticoat doesn't add orange peel. What make and model vehicle do you have? Germans and some Japanese have the worst orange peel going.
Master of shine.....
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
1171 posts
179 upvotes
I appreciate the feedbacks. My knowledge on the subject is very limited and can only describe my experience. My friend's eye is very sharp and she did not noticed the orange peel prior to the opti-coat. When I went to pick up the car from the body shop today, I asked her to come to evaluate the job. The reason is she can immediately see imperfections that I can't see (even with a magnifying glass). Anyways, she really liked the paint job saying it is better than the original paint. As she is describing the difference, I realize she is referring to the orange peel effect. At that moment, I realized that is what I disliked about the car after the opti-coat.
neverhaveiever wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 10:01 pm
Did the car look great after the opticoat was done??
The car was spotless and fairly glossy. It looked good and in general was quite happy, especially if it keeps this look from a simple car wash. However, at the same time, I couldn't quite pin it but there was something I didn't like (didn't know about orange peel then). The car's reflection seem distorted and as I walk, I see wavy lines. I thought it was the lighting. Ever since after the opti coat, despite looking beautiful after a wash, it never made the same impression as before. As indicated, I thought the pearl black really stood out prior to the opti-coat and loved it. It wasn't until after the repaint, I realized what was bothering me is the heavy orange peel. The refection of the new paint is crisp and clear, where as rest of car, it is distorted. Neither me nor my friend noticed the orange peel when new.

Having said all that, I can't find anything on the net either about my claims. Everyone raves about the product. All I could do is share my experience. If it is not the opti-coat or improper applying, I wonder what are other possibilities. hamza7 mentioned a glaze and that is plausible (although it would be odd the dealership would detail my car on their own).

As hamza 7 mentioned and from my readings, it is not worth removing the orange peel and thinning out the coating on a daily driver. Besides, if it can keep the gloss for years to come, it may be a fair trade.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
It is common (to my knowledge and experience) for dealerships to "detail" a car before it leaves...aka scratch your car and apply wax.
Mar 31, 2010
154 posts
10 upvotes
How much is it to get opti coat on a brand new car?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1503 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
kci3 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2015 5:40 pm
How much is it to get opti coat on a brand new car?
I think it starts at 700 and up for brand new car. its opti pro if you have it done professionally.

I rather buy the tool and try to do it myself
Mar 19, 2012
92 posts
21 upvotes
Sherwood Park, AB
I detail vehicles part time and I usually start consumer level coatings at $150(for a small car) plus the required paint preparation.