• Jun 14th, 2015 9:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2494 posts
475 upvotes
Protection and cosmetic beauty are independent traits! Just because my paint isn't "perfect" doesn't meant I don't want it to last long and be easier to clean.
As I said before, you can't even see the swirls unless you look very close and in bright sunlight at an angle.
bbob3125 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 11:39 am
I think the two of you are having and argument over semantics. Technically, no a swirl mark wont make the opti coat any LESS DURABLE. But you will be able to see the swirl. This in turn kind of defeats the point of getting opti coat in the first place, given that the whole point of opticoat is to protect the paint and help PREVENT swirl marks.
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1458 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 11:31 am
Think again! How is a swirl mark considered embedded debris? Debris can come loose and thus expose parts of the sealant.
A swirl isn't coming off! You're doing more "damage" to the paint by buffing out the swirl with a polisher.
I guess you don't have common sense.
There are embedded debris within swirls and scratches that clay bars and APC's cannot get to.

By polishing
1. You are leveling out the clear coat and exposing/clearing these debris
2. You are taking away thin thin thin thin layers of the CLEAR COAT, not paint. Polishing does NOT damage paint in modern cars (considering a competent Detailer)
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1458 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 11:52 am
Protection and cosmetic beauty are independent traits! Just because my paint isn't "perfect" doesn't meant I don't want it to last long and be easier to clean.
As I said before, you can't even see the swirls unless you look very close and in bright sunlight at an angle.
That's what swirls are. They shouldn't be easily seen without proper angle and light. If that's the case, it would be a scratch not a swirl.

You tend to get easily offended and uptight about facts that differ from your personal opinion. What you need is life lessons, not detailing lessons.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2494 posts
475 upvotes
Clearly you're the one lacking in common sense. I'm not going to strip away ANY amount of factory clear coat if I don't need to.
Once again just because the clear coat is not level isn't going to affect the OptiCoat's durability whatsoever. In fact it will fill
in those microscopic channels. I don't care how it LOOKS!
reyoasian wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 11:57 am
I guess you don't have common sense.
There are embedded debris within swirls and scratches that clay bars and APC's cannot get to.

By polishing
1. You are leveling out the clear coat and exposing/clearing these debris
2. You are taking away thin thin thin thin layers of the CLEAR COAT, not paint. Polishing does NOT damage paint in modern cars (considering a competent Detailer)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1492 upvotes
Montreal
shutterbug wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 10:36 am
You want to rethink what you just said?? How does a coating sitting on top of the swirl marks become less durable?? The swirl marks are cosmetic, they become the paint's "texture".
The Opticoat sits between the paint the environment. Does paint degrade faster because you put it on wood instead of a drywall?? The paint may not be visually perfect but it's not
any less durable.
When you put anything over a swirl mark you are no longer applying to a flat surface. Those little scratches get somewhat filled or missed. In the end you end up with either an uneven application or pockets that can collect dirt and wear down the material faster over time. Think about what happens to a leather seat with dirt in a crack. It wears the material FAST.

Now, this is not to say you should not apply the opti coat over swirls but you should have the paint perfect anyways. If you wish to remove the swirls later you just wasted your opti coat as the opti coat needs to come off and then reapplied to fix the swirls.

Have you ever painted anything? Prep is the #1 key. The more time you spend doing prep, the better the results. You would not paint your wall if there were chips in it, would you? If you paint over a defect, usually they come out over time (the paint were the chip was comes loose over time, cracks, falls off, etc).

shutterbug wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 12:02 pm
Clearly you're the one lacking in common sense. I'm not going to strip away ANY amount of factory clear coat if I don't need to.
Once again just because the clear coat is not level isn't going to affect the OptiCoat's durability whatsoever. In fact it will fill

This is wrong. Ever notice a freshly waxed vehicle hides scratches and swirls? Now, over time you start noticing them again. The wax is wearing out. Compare this to a car with no swirls. The wax stays strong for much longer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2494 posts
475 upvotes
Yes that's true with physical abrasion but you can't even feel swirls. They're microscopic! Unlike wax OptiCoat is permanent. It's not going to wear away any faster just because the surface underneath is microscopically uneven.
I had mine done professionally by Bryan and my car came fresh off the lot from the dealer straight to him. There was no point getting a polish done at that time. It's now 3 years later and my car still beads water just like the first
day.
neverhaveiever wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 12:03 pm
When you put anything over a swirl mark you are no longer applying to a flat surface. Those little scratches get somewhat filled or missed. In the end you end up with either an uneven application or pockets that can collect dirt and wear down the material faster over time. Think about what happens to a leather seat with dirt in a crack. It wears the material FAST.

Now, this is not to say you should not apply the opti coat over swirls but you should have the paint perfect anyways. If you wish to remove the swirls later you just wasted your opti coat as the opti coat needs to come off and then reapplied to fix the swirls.

Have you ever painted anything? Prep is the #1 key. The more time you spend doing prep, the better the results. You would not paint your wall if there were chips in it, would you? If you paint over a defect, usually they come out over time (the paint were the chip was comes loose over time, cracks, falls off, etc).

This is wrong. Ever notice a freshly waxed vehicle hides scratches and swirls? Now, over time you start noticing them again. The wax is wearing out. Compare this to a car with no swirls. The wax stays strong for much longer.
Sep 10, 2009
304 posts
21 upvotes
bbob3125 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 11:39 am
I think the two of you are having and argument over semantics. Technically, no a swirl mark wont make the opti coat any LESS DURABLE. But you will be able to see the swirl. This in turn kind of defeats the point of getting opti coat in the first place, given that the whole point of opticoat is to protect the paint and help PREVENT swirl marks.
Well that's to some people. I have serviced people where I had opti coated on top of swirls. These people neither care for swirls or maximum gloss but want opti coat to protect the paint from fading faster (uv protection) and because their lazy so paint is waxed every time they wash and touchless washes are more effective (up to 3 times)
Signature removed by MOD. No advertising and no external links are allowed in signatures
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1458 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
shutterbug wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 12:02 pm
Then don't do anything. Why you even bother getting OC in the first place? The whole point of OC is to preserve how the paint looks. Everything from swirls to scratches to UV to sheen, is all about how a car looks. Just get your car washed for free (under the occasional rain) and you're good to go.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2494 posts
475 upvotes
Exactly!!
hamza7 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 12:17 pm
well that's to some people. I have serviced people where i had opti coated on top of swirls. These people neither care for swirls or maximum gloss but want opti coat to protect the paint from fading faster (uv protection) and because their lazy so paint is waxed every time they wash and touchless washes are more effective (up to 3 times)
Penalty Box
Feb 7, 2010
1458 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
hamza7 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 12:17 pm
Well that's to some people. I have serviced people where I had opti coated on top of swirls. These people neither care for swirls or maximum gloss but want opti coat to protect the paint from fading faster (uv protection) and because their lazy so paint is waxed every time they wash and touchless washes are more effective (up to 3 times)
You have a business so of course you're gonna do it, as long as the customer pays you. Nobody says OC is 0% effective when a vehicle isn't polished, but 70% is about as good as it gets. If a vehicle is properly prepped and polished then that 70 can be upped to 90% (nothing is 100%)

Would you do that to your own car? (apply OC on top of swirls).
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1572 posts
292 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
Opti coat isnt bullet proof u may still get scratches and swirls if you dont take care of it. Beauty is that it can be polished off and new layer can be put on

Just to add opticoat by it self feels little grippy so its good idea to clay once in a while and put a top coat. From my research reload by cquart and aquawax by autoglym seem to stay on forlonger time
Sep 10, 2009
304 posts
21 upvotes
reyoasian wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 12:36 pm
You have a business so of course you're gonna do it, as long as the customer pays you. Nobody says OC is 0% effective when a vehicle isn't polished, but 70% is about as good as it gets. If a vehicle is properly prepped and polished then that 70 can be upped to 90% (nothing is 100%)

Would you do that to your own car? (apply OC on top of swirls).
No I agree with you, I polished my own car because I care about that stuff so you're right.
Signature removed by MOD. No advertising and no external links are allowed in signatures
Oct 25, 2014
126 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto, ON
what advantage does these coatings offer over the factory clear coat...? seems awfully expensive to put this coating on top of the factory clear coat designed to do the same thing (protect the paint)

I had some 5-10 years old vehicles before, and the clear coat all looks okay even after all those years. Granted you get swirl and stuffs after 3-4 years, but nothing a few hours polish and wax can't get rid off. (And I park my car outside and don't wash it often)
On the other hand, people who had the opti-coat done still seem like they need to reapply something after every 1-2 years to keep the coat smooth..?
Sep 10, 2009
304 posts
21 upvotes
stanleyt wrote:
Aug 6th, 2014 1:02 pm
what advantage does these coatings offer over the factory clear coat...? seems awfully expensive to put this coating on top of the factory clear coat designed to do the same thing (protect the paint)

I had some 5-10 years old vehicles before, and the clear coat all looks okay even after all those years. Granted you get swirl and stuffs after 3-4 years, but nothing a few hours polish and wax can't get rid off. (And I park my car outside and don't wash it often)
On the other hand, people who had the opti-coat done still seem like they need to reapply something after every 1-2 years to keep the coat smooth..?
Convenience: No need to wax while these coats are still present, makes the paint easier to wash, wash less because dirt doesn't stick as much.

Protection: Up to 100 times thicker than some waxes, protects against acids, fallout (bird droppings tree sap) and makes the paint more scratch resistant and it creates a small sacrificial layer.

Aesthetics and Investment: Your will probably be the 2nd biggest investment (yes a deprecating investment) you'll ever make. Invest in this protection, to protect your investment. You think a blown engine is expensive, OEM style paint jobs costs $10K (engine rebuilds around $3K so make sure you think carefully about this) plus you bought your car to enjoy. Enjoy the new look longer with Opti Coat.
Jan 18, 2010
380 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
As you can see with @shutterbug car properly prepped and maintained should last years. Until the details are finalized I can't say where opticoat pro is going. When that time comes I will post it for everyone's information. It hasn't been finalized so the would be some guessing involved and wouldn't be 100% correct.

The key to any coating is a properly prepped surface with the coating being properly applied. Opticoat pro has changed slightly in formula and has a bonding agent in its primer polish.

After its applied correctly the durability is improved if the customer looks after it properly.

If anyone is looking for opticoat I would suggest you get it done soon.