Off Topic

**Option to Change Vote** - Will you wear a mask during the Coronavirus outbreak?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2020 2:07 pm

Poll: Will you wear a mask during the Coronavirus outbreak?

• Total votes: 547. You have voted on this poll.
Yes - i’m going to wear one - wear it everyday, every time I’m in public until this is over

12%
Yes - i’m going to wear one. However I’m going to wear it some days depending on where I go

10%
Yes - I want to wear one but I can’t find stock and price is ridiculously too high

5%
Maybe - i’m not going to wear one now, but I might if it continues on

11%
Maybe - I want to wear one but too embarassed to wear one - if more people wear it, I will follow

2%
No - I’m not going to wear one at all and not doing anything different

26%
No - I’m not going to wear one however I will do other things to protect myself (carry sanitizer, wipe down areas, avoid crowds...)

33%
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
758 posts
808 upvotes

**Option to Change Vote** - Will you wear a mask during the Coronavirus outbreak?

** OPTION now to Re-Vote if you have changed your mind **

Poll was done on January 27, 2020. Here are results (416 votes) after approximately 1 month.

11% - Yes - i’m going to wear one - wear it everyday, every time I’m in public until this is over
9% - Yes - i’m going to wear one. However I’m going to wear it some days depending on where I go
5% - Yes - I want to wear one but I can’t find stock and price is ridiculously too high
12% - Maybe - i’m not going to wear one now, but I might if it continues on
4% - Maybe - I want to wear one but too embarassed to wear one - if more people wear it, I will follow
32% - No - I’m not going to wear one at all and not doing anything different
27% - No - I’m not going to wear one however I will do other things to protect myself (carry sanitizer, wipe down areas, avoid crowds...)

** please Re-Vote if you have changed your mind **
Last edited by Bebo123 on Mar 8th, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 10 times in total.
379 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2004 posts
213 upvotes
I'm just going to avoid Chinese stores, restaurants and malls.
"I've been tearing money since my first Holy Communion."
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8612 posts
4120 upvotes
MVRD
pupazzo wrote: I'm just going to avoid Chinese stores, restaurants and malls.
So will they...and then they'll show up in other areas. i.e. You'll need to think 2 steps ahead of the population...not same step as the population.

Those that went through SARS knew to be 3 steps ahead of the situation: Don't trust the stats, don't trust the gov, go and grab your gear.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2017
758 posts
808 upvotes
chatbox wrote: So will they...and then they'll show up in other areas. i.e. You'll need to think 2 steps ahead of the population...not same step as the population.

Those that went through SARS knew to be 3 steps ahead of the situation: Don't trust the stats, don't trust the gov, go and grab your gear.
So the use reverse psychology then? In other words the safest place may ironically be a Chinese mall as there will no crowds and merchants there will be more diligent to clean up and be more hygienically safe there since they r under the microscope now.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8612 posts
4120 upvotes
MVRD
Bebo123 wrote: So the use reverse psychology then? In other words the safest place may ironically be a Chinese mall as there will no crowds and merchants there will be more diligent to clean up and be more hygienically safe there since they r under the microscope now.
Honestly, I don't know how to get ahead. However, I went to a local shopping centre at 3:30pm today...it's a lot quieter than usual. It seems like there's only about 40%-50% of the usual Monday load.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
9505 posts
85 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'm at Disney world. Too far from Markham to care. :lol:

Maybe in crowded places when I get back though.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1574 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto
I would if I could find a box to buy anywhere in this city and 3 cities over...
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18423 posts
1877 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
smacd wrote: The two cases in Canada right now (husband and wife) were wearing masks when it's thought they contracted it. https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/can-face- ... -1.4786014
I wore a mask and tried blowing through it with moderate force and you can definitely feel moisture through. It’s not effective unless you have one that’s heavy duty.

The couple likely got it through their eyes. Someone in this thread said you can absorb it but if that’s the case than washing hands however frequently is in vain. They are making it sound like it’s a superbug. We will see how those 19 cases awaiting test results say but when you speak out your hand in front of your mouth. That warm air is moisture is it not?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8640 posts
1075 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Masks are mostly effective if the people who are contagious are wearing them, not others. A few doctors have chimed in and given the airborn nature of coronavirus, if someone coughs in the air, the droplets can still enter your system via your eyes and other exposed parts of your body.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15194 posts
4825 upvotes
Here 'n There
Anyone who wears a mask that did not arrive from Wuhan in the last couple of weeks is an idiot. It protects those who have a respiratory infection not those who don't. In fact, it's worse to wear one for the latter for a variety of reasons as explained by doctors in the media all day long. I was at Costco yesterday and saw a couple of Asians with them on, but then I note that many Asiansy wear them for some bizarre reason well even when this mass hysteria is not prevalent.

Now people who really need the masks, as I do when I am doing some dusty home reno work or those who are sick, can't even get one. Sheesh!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4883 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
I wear it when i am on TTC for now since it gets crowded and you don't know where those ppl have been.

It's funny how the Canadian health experts are telling you not to wear mask because it is not effective. But the experts in Hong Kong are encouraging people to wear them when you are out in public or crowded places. They even held a fb live to show how to wear one properly.

Of course you need to wear them properly for it to be effective and most people don't.
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
8612 posts
4120 upvotes
MVRD
eonibm wrote: Anyone who wears a mask that did not arrive from Wuhan in the last couple of weeks is an idiot. It protects those who have a respiratory infection not those who don't. In fact, it's worse to wear one for the latter for a variety of reasons as explained by doctors in the media all day long. I was at Costco yesterday and saw a couple of Asians with them on, but then I note that many Asiansy wear them for some bizarre reason well even when this mass hysteria is not prevalent.

Now people who really need the masks, as I do when I am doing some dusty home reno work or those who are sick, can't even get one. Sheesh!
The issue is: No one knows who is carrying the virus and spreading it. Can't trust anyone. Trust no one...even if they personally haven't traveled to China (Germany and Japan have a case of person-to-person transmission).

i.e. You and me could be a carrier right now..and we wouldn't know. So, wear one (surgical mask) to at least prevent the potential spread of droplets.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4883 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: The issue is: No one knows who is carrying the virus and spreading it. Can't trust anyone. Trust no one...even if they personally haven't traveled to China (Germany and Japan have a case of person-to-person transmission).

i.e. You and me could be a carrier right now..and we wouldn't know. So, wear one (surgical mask) to at least prevent the potential spread of droplets.
Totally agree.

Professor Yuen who discovered and got rid of SARS said mask and personal hygiene is very important.

HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1948 posts
729 upvotes
Montreal
Bebo123 wrote: In other words the safest place may ironically be a Chinese mall as there will no crowds and merchants there will be more diligent to clean up and be more hygienically safe there since they r under the microscope now.
Honestly, when was the last time you see a clean Chinese malls?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

reefcove