• Nov 15th, 2017 1:36 pm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:43 pm
The first quoted post was actually a separate thread which was merged into this one.

IcyCold was referring to the topic list view not accounting for any downvotes which is a bug.
Ahh, he meant to say the topics list? Thanks for the clarification.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15842 posts
4730 upvotes
Ottawa
Can I have the total amount of downvotes against me show up in my profile?
I would like to keep it visible for memories!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2379 posts
849 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:09 pm
What, did you said bad thing in a Nintendo or Apple thread ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15842 posts
4730 upvotes
Ottawa
vonblock wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:20 pm
What, did you said bad thing in a Nintendo or Apple thread ?
Not in those particular threads, but I do make my opinion known.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8489 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:09 pm
We'll be selling framed prints soon. $9.99 each or refer 3 friends and get yours free!
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Nov 26, 2003
590 posts
842 upvotes
Toronto
This is going to be incredible hilarious as some people won't be able to differentiate sarcasm vs helpful replies. It'll be endless upvotes depicting that it's an actual advice. gg
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3946 posts
529 upvotes
Aurora
Yes! Thank you admins. This can only be a huge improvement for RFD.

Downvote abusers retreat back to the dark pit whence you came!
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8489 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 12:40 pm
This is actually a bug which we're going to fix today. It should be showing the cumulative total when browsing a forum.
Bug has been fixed. Thanks to @MarkRFD for the quick work. Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2124 posts
482 upvotes
Mississauga
I think that downvotes were especially useful in threads where folks asked for advice.... bad advice was pretty quickly downvoted in such threads in the Automotive subforum.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8489 posts
12857 upvotes
Scarborough
Viperoni wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:24 pm
I think that downvotes were especially useful in threads where folks asked for advice.... bad advice was pretty quickly downvoted in such threads in the Automotive subforum.
It definitely wasn’t without its uses. That being said a lot more time and development would’ve been necessary to bring it to a place where it would’ve created a lot more positives and negatives. Someday we may revisit it but for now it’s gone the way of the dinosaurs.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
13634 posts
1199 upvotes
Toronto
I like this change a lot.

I felt like the down vote information WAS attached to my profile.

The only way I'd like to see it come back is in the form of usefulness of the thread.

So for example, a post might receive down votes because it's a poor sale (in our opinion) but that information would stay on THAT post only.
2 UPS, 31 Downs.

Ups however could show on a user's profile as it also shows thread helpfulness and posting quality. Just don't show the negatives.

Just an idea.

Sorry for the duplicate thread, didn't see this one.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
This forum is great. The mods are generally helpful, responsive, and kind, and the people running this place have shown that they truly care about how RFD members feel about what goes on here. This is the best change I have seen on this forum, perhaps ever. Thanks @TomRFD for doing this!
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
Viperoni wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:24 pm
Actually, downvotes were not used wisely, in any thread especially the Automotive. if you didn't agree with or had alternative opinions, then the gang mentality took over. I have seen this mentality in many threads and have myself had some downvoters go back years and downvote posts that were up to 5 years old. Glad it is gone.
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 9th, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted post was deleted
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4622 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:32 pm
Exactly why the down vote disappeared...you sound very vindictive and may very well be the reason it is gone..
Actually, i am sure the downvote button prevents a lot of negative posts, which would spiral the thread out of control, i think it was a beneficial outlet for people who disagreed so it didn't have to plug up the post with banter.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28245 posts
4214 upvotes
Ottawa
T3rry wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:47 pm
Actually, i am sure the downvote button prevents a lot of negative posts, which would spiral the thread out of control, i think it was a beneficial outlet for people who disagreed so it didn't have to plug up the post with banter.
I disagree. One of the complaints of the downvote was that people were getting multiple downvotes even to posts not anything to do with the thread. Downvoters were searching out posts of individuals and downvoting them just to get them. Mods and Admins were aware of this and even mentioned that they were seeking these people and ot report incidents.
RFD could have just made downvoters visible just like they do for the thanks but, that would have led to revenge downvotes. So, now if you don't like or don't agree, you have to step up and identify yourself with a post. Everyone can see you now....you can't hide behind anonymous downvoting.
Good on RFD for doing the right thing.