Locked: The option to downvote replies has been removed

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 1:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7199 posts
982 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Seems weird to remove the downvotes, but I guess if people were going out of their way to find specific posts just to down vote then ok. Still, do people really care if they get downvotes?

I never really downvoted, only the odd time, so removing it makes little difference to me. I still found it useful though because it sometimes helped highlight misinformation. Oh well, seems like removing it is what the community wanted.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1491 posts
796 upvotes
don242 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:35 pm
Seems weird to remove the downvotes, but I guess if people were going out of their way to find specific posts just to down vote then ok. Still, do people really care if they get downvotes?

I never really downvoted, only the odd time, so removing it makes little difference to me. I still found it useful though because it sometimes helped highlight misinformation. Oh well, seems like removing it is what the community wanted.
This is exactly how I feel.

I thought they were generally useful, when used as intended.

I was unaware there were folks who misused them by intentionally seeking out other RFDers they did not like... That is sick (stalkerish behaviour)

So i can totally understand why TPTB made a point of removing this feature.

But as others have said, I think leaving just Thumbs Up info / stats now skews previous posts incorrectly. Guessing that it makes sense for that feature to go away too (cannot have one without the other)

A lot of times I tap the Thumbs Up cause the info / post is a good one... Would be nice to maybe get rid of the thumbs up, and just give us a button that says THANKS... I see that as being really useful

Downside of getting rid of Down Votes, means I think we'll see more crazy bickering posts... I said, you said, no your wrong... Back & forth, round & round.

Those exchanges are tiresome, and bring down the whole thread... And then like we see on the OFF TOPIC FORUM result in a thread closure (lot of them on that Forum) cause they make a topic pointless... Hope we aren't in for a long ride of that nonsense as a reult of this change
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2891 posts
769 upvotes
Toronto
I frankly think getting rid of the downvote system is just RFD giving in to a bunch of weak kneed people who are way oversensitive. If you get that upset about some downvote in an Internet forum you truly can't have much going on for you in real life.

As others have said, the downvotes were actually useful in some instances. If it was abused at other times with downvotes of older posts, who cares? What does it matter? It's the Internet for crying out loud! I think this is a silly move. Develop some thicker skin people and learn to take some negative feedback whether it's deserved or not. You don't have to get everything spelled out for you. Somebody didn't agree with you, move on with life and stop whining about it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
7636 posts
1450 upvotes
Trump University
The downvote was actually good manipulator.

You randomize downvotes and everyone will start fighting each other.

I would downvote 2 people that disagreed and they would both start fighting each other thinking that the other one had downvoted him :D
** Yes, I'm Italian! ** 😎
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2311 posts
149 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:19 pm
The downvote was actually good manipulator.

You randomize downvotes and everyone will start fighting each other.

I would downvote 2 people that disagreed and they would both start fighting each other thinking that the other one had downvoted him :D

Winking Face
Nov 26, 2003
593 posts
843 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 8:09 pm
I frankly think getting rid of the downvote system is just RFD giving in to a bunch of weak kneed people who are way oversensitive. If you get that upset about some downvote in an Internet forum you truly can't have much going on for you in real life.

As others have said, the downvotes were actually useful in some instances. If it was abused at other times with downvotes of older posts, who cares? What does it matter? It's the Internet for crying out loud! I think this is a silly move. Develop some thicker skin people and learn to take some negative feedback whether it's deserved or not. You don't have to get everything spelled out for you. Somebody didn't agree with you, move on with life and stop whining about it.
This is my sentiment exactly. If you're going to remove downvote, you might as well remove upvote. Why one and not the other? So that they can be motivated to post crap without any repercussions?

You've already had a system in place where votes don't show up unless 2 or more people voted for it. If 2 or more people felt that person wasn't being productive in the thread or is posting incorrect information, they should be able to quickly show readers that. and the more downvotes a person accumulates, they more you know they are BS-ing.

You mods already have the right to remove posts without reason (you tend to give one, but no one ever agrees with it). You guys are power-tripping by remove ways for the users to decide whether a post is uninformative or not.
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2946 posts
2106 upvotes
Burnaby
Little Tim wrote:

I concur, but I'd call them instead confrontational trolls who were voted into oblivion (and their complement vengeful trolls who went into downvoting sprees). Now, there's nothing preventing RFD from becoming again a toxic forum (all categories) pretty much like 4chan/pol (for example, just browse RFD Off Topic).

The problem was that the downvoting system was poorly designed and implemented. Welp, fortunately BF/CM is around the corner and there'll be topics actually worth chatting about.
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4623 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
Little Tim wrote:

thats what i said and then i was politely reminded that
Capture.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5276 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto
eternity525 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:12 pm
If you're going to remove downvote, you might as well remove upvote. Why one and not the other?
Because downvoting was being used as an extremely lazy way of disagreeing with people without having to explain the reason for disagreeing and furthering the discussion in an engaging way.
Downvoting should be used in cases where someone isn't contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion but many people on RFD were using it on actually worthwhile comments they simply didn't agree with which makes for dead end crappy discussions. Upvoting is fine because it's just saying you agree with a person and have nothing further to add.
Nov 26, 2003
593 posts
843 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:48 pm
Because downvoting was being used as an extremely lazy way of disagreeing with people without having to explain the reason for disagreeing and furthering the discussion in an engaging way.
Downvoting should be used in cases where someone isn't contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion but many people on RFD were using it on actually worthwhile comments they simply didn't agree with which makes for dead end crappy discussions. Upvoting is fine because it's just saying you agree with a person and have nothing further to add.
There are times when an explanation is not needed when it's obvious that someone is trolling or being obnoxious, there's no need to feed the trolls and that's where the downvoting system comes in. As I said before, no one would ever see a downvote if only ONE person downvoted, it just wouldn't show up.

RFD is a place for people to find quick deals (hot deals section at least) with the least amount of reading needed, it's going to be a mess now that everyone is "furthering the discussion in an engaging way"... important information will be buried within these useless discussions and people will start piling up questions in threads.

One of my post was removed by a mod in reply to a person asking if a phone purchased from Bell is unlocked, my reply was "you're the reason we need the downvote system to stay". Albeit a bit rude, but my post got upvoted by a few people before it was removed while his post would have obviously been downvoted (wouldn't have known since they removed the option). If questions like theses are continually asked then this forum will become nothing but stacked threads with redundant information and you will soon see a lot of "I didn't read through the last 10 pages, but can someone tell me if this deal is still on and where can I get it?"

If you think that replying to a troll or someone who is already wrong in hopes to change their mind in an engaging discussion then you're only going to create more clutter in the threads. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone here that will admit that they are wrong and take the time to read or learn from what you have to say.

In an engaging discussion, one would agree or disagree with everything that I've said previously. But yet even you, someone who wants to promote "an engaging discussion", choose to nit pick what I had to say and ignore everything else without acknowledging it... pretty much shows how much this is going to work.
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
4761 posts
2795 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
TomRFD wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 1:37 pm
We'll be selling framed prints soon. $9.99 each or refer 3 friends and get yours free!
I’ll take 8 copies.

Oh yeah in the past this would have gotten 6000 downvotes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9252 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
should have just identified who made the downvote, like the current upvote.

that would actually make the downvote feature useful

Now the usual trolls can post their crap without recourse other than calling them out on it....which will just create more confrontations
Feb 9, 2013
948 posts
491 upvotes
Ottawa
LOL, it seems like people were getting triggered by the downvotes. For trolls on the other hand, it's often like a badge of honour.
[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8499 posts
12858 upvotes
Scarborough
Swerny wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:08 am
Now the usual trolls can post their crap without recourse other than calling them out on it....which will just create more confrontations
We've always handled trolling through the reported post and infraction system. See someone breaking the rules? Report them.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].