[OP]
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
8483 posts
12856 upvotes
Scarborough
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:17 am
Maybe Tom could add a feature where you can filter posts in a thread to see above a certain threshold of upvotes or something.
We do want a better way to highlight the more useful posts within a thread. A few ideas tossed around so far are having the top X posts automatically added to the thread summary. Another idea is being able to sort by votes within a thread (like how you can filter threads by score).
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Nov 26, 2003
574 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:17 am
How are things going to be that much more of a mess? You can still go the lazy route and skim for posts with the most upvotes in HD forum. Finding things isn't any less easy. Maybe Tom could add a feature where you can filter posts in a thread to see above a certain threshold of upvotes or something.

This is simply removal of a feature that was abused and created more headaches for the moderators and community than was worth keeping.

And it's still kept where it can be relevant, in the HD section for example. Don't really see why keeping this system justifies all the work for those who run the forum.
listen to yourself. Who wants to skim for posts through a 10 page thread of ignorant people asking stupid questions... gg

Your last 2 points doesn't even make sense. If they are lazy and feel frustrated doing their everyday job, then maybe they should be looking for a career change. it's their job to monitor the forums, and not power trip and remove posts/features.

So what if something gets mass downvoted? it's obviously because it's not a popular opinion, how does that hurt the community? Don't want to get downvoted? come up with a better explanation of what you're trying to say.

I've never seen more thin skinned people that can't take a downvote, it's just an opinion from someone. You get people that disagree with you in life all the time, if you can't take criticism then maybe you shouldn't have posted in the first place.
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15800 posts
4698 upvotes
Ottawa
eternity525 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:15 am
listen to yourself. Who wants to skim for posts through a 10 page thread of ignorant people asking stupid questions... gg

Your last 2 points doesn't even make sense. If they are lazy and feel frustrated doing their everyday job, then maybe they should be looking for a career change. it's their job to monitor the forums, and not power trip and remove posts/features.

So what if something gets mass downvoted? it's obviously because it's not a popular opinion, how does that hurt the community? Don't want to get downvoted? come up with a better explanation of what you're trying to say.

I've never seen more thin skinned people that can't take a downvote, it's just an opinion from someone. You get people that disagree with you in life all the time, if you can't take criticism then maybe you shouldn't have posted in the first place.
+1000
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 4:23 pm
The mods are generally helpful, responsive, and kind, and the people running this place have shown that they truly care about how RFD members feel about what goes on here.
I have to agree that the moderators are good - although any time I say that things turn south. Oh well, kudos again to Titan, Mars etc anyway
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15800 posts
4698 upvotes
Ottawa
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:19 pm
I have to agree that the moderators are good - although any time I say that things turn south. Oh well, kudos again to Titan, Mars etc anyway
Other than Tom and Shaner; we need to change up our Mods...seriously!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:19 pm
It's great. Bad mods can really ruin a forum. I have seen it happen before. We are very lucky here.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
eternity525 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:15 am

The problem is, people were using the downvote system as a means of trolling. One guy in particular on here (I won't mention the name although I've got a right mind to) gave me about 500 downvotes, it was over half his total. He was going through my post history and downvoting *everything* I posted, day in and day out, probably for months. I didn't notice it until I enabled downvote notifications in the system. One of the mods here noticed it right away and fixed it. Unfortunately I had a few people on here pull that nonsense on me. If you guys have seen me around on here I typically share decent deals and I help people out when I can. It was totally undeserved.

So while yes, there was some merit to the downvote system, overall it was a major negative for the forum here. It enabled the trolls. It emboldened them. The anonymity of the feature just fed right into their negative desires.

I'm personally extremely happy to see the feature go.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15800 posts
4698 upvotes
Ottawa
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:32 pm
The problem is, people were using the downvote system as a means of trolling. One guy in particular on here (I won't mention the name although I've got a right mind to) gave me about 500 downvotes, it was over half his total. He was going through my post history and downvoting *everything* I posted, day in and day out, probably for months. I didn't notice it until I enabled downvote notifications in the system. One of the mods here noticed it right away and fixed it. Unfortunately I had a few people on here pull that nonsense on me. If you guys have seen me around on here I typically share decent deals and I help people out when I can. It was totally undeserved.

So while yes, there was some merit to the downvote system, overall it was a major negative for the forum here. It enabled the trolls. It emboldened them. The anonymity of the feature just fed right into their negative desires.

You had a fan.
Nov 26, 2003
574 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:

You're always going to get trolls tho... with or without the downvoting system. The feature is now removed because people don't know how to deal with criticism.

So what if you were getting 500 downvotes by 1 person, that would only mean 1 vote per post... Why would that cause you grieve if what you're saying is truthful and are willing to take constructive feedback?

Now I'm more interested to know how the mods "FIXED" this issue? did he remove all his votes or ban him? why would they have the power to change what people think should be up or down voted?

There's obviously no anonymity because you were eventually able to find out who he is... so what you're saying about feeding their negative desires is... kinda made up to justify your desire to not receive criticism...
If you're replying to people without quoting them, it's no different than talking to yourself...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15800 posts
4698 upvotes
Ottawa
eternity525 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:42 pm
You're always going to get trolls tho... with or without the downvoting system. The feature is now removed because people don't know how to deal with criticism.

So what if you were getting 500 downvotes by 1 person, that would only mean 1 vote per post... Why would that cause you grieve if what you're saying is truthful and are willing to take constructive feedback?

Now I'm more interested to know how the mods "FIXED" this issue? did he remove all his votes or ban him? why would they have the power to change what people think should be up or down voted?

There's obviously no anonymity because you were eventually able to find out who he is... so what you're saying about feeding their negative desires is... kinda made up to justify your desire to not receive criticism...
I was given a warning for preceived abuse of downvoting and was nowhere close in the hundreds!
Some mods are more "trigger" happy than others as the two gents I mentioned would never have seen it that way.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28240 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
SickBeast wrote:

Exactly the reason the downvote went away.Yes, there could have had merit to it but it became abused and some RFD "gangs" used it to punish or rage on others.
It is interesting to note the people who are upset about it and even calling the ones that like the idea of it being gone "thin skinned". Perhaps they were the ones abusing it? I have had people search my posts and given downvotes for posts that were up to 7 years old. You gotta wonder about those kinds of folks (yes I reported them).
I too am glad it is gone.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
eternity525 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I consider you one of "them" for wanting the downvote feature back. I could ask you the same question, why do you have to be so critical? If you have an issue with someone's post, why can't you just quote them and explain your reasoning? The reason why you can't is probably because your arguments are baseless. Or, you can't hold a candle to others in an intellectual discussion. So I will ask you then, why should the rest of us have to suffer because you're either:

- too lazy to respond properly to posts you don't like
- incapable of having a proper discussion
- holding on to viewpoints that make no sense and don't stand up when challenged

It would be like your boss constantly telling you "you suck" but never explaining why. Please tell me how well you think that would go and how useful that would be.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Nov 26, 2003
574 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:46 pm
I was given a warning for preceived abuse of downvoting and was nowhere close in the hundreds!
Some mods are more "trigger" happy than others as the two gents I mentioned would never have seen it that way.
should someone be reported for upvoting too much as well? this needs to be a 2 way street...
Nov 26, 2003
574 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:50 pm
I'm sorry to tell you this, but I consider you one of "them" for wanting the downvote feature back. I could ask you the same question, why do you have to be so critical? If you have an issue with someone's post, why can't you just quote them and explain your reasoning? The reason why you can't is probably because your arguments are baseless. Or, you can't hold a candle to others in an intellectual discussion. So I will ask you then, why should the rest of us have to suffer because you're either:

- holding on to viewpoints that make no sense and don't stand up when challenged

It would be like your boss constantly telling you "you suck" but never explaining why. Please tell me how well you think that would go and how useful that would be.
now I see why you were downvoted by many others on here.
Nov 26, 2003
574 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:50 pm

This will probably get deleted because you have no argument but to result to reporting...

You can label me whatever you want, but I've never had any interaction with you.

In respond to you saying that I do the following:

- too lazy to respond properly to posts you don't like -> I guess I'm not to lazy to respond here eh?
- incapable of having a proper discussion -> that sounds more like you having to see people discredit you wherever you post
- holding on to viewpoints that make no sense and don't stand up when challenged -> I'm here posting am I not? how am I not standing up?

that up there is the reason why you can't take criticism, you want to dish it but you can't take it. You start making up false claims and character assassinations to put me down but yet it's absolutely the opposite of what you've stated.

If you can't take it, don't post.