• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 1:36 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3790 upvotes
eternity525 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:52 pm
now I see why you were downvoted by many others on here.
I remind myself every day why I have 3,775 upvotes. I am helpful. I am kind. I am knowledgeable. I learned a long time ago not to listen to people like you. Please take your negativity somewhere else.
Last edited by SickBeast on Nov 10th, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3790 upvotes
eternity525 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:00 pm
This will probably get deleted because you have no argument but to result to reporting...

You can label me whatever you want, but I've never had any interaction with you.

In respond to you saying that I do the following:

- too lazy to respond properly to posts you don't like -> I guess I'm not to lazy to respond here eh?
- incapable of having a proper discussion -> that sounds more like you having to see people discredit you wherever you post
- holding on to viewpoints that make no sense and don't stand up when challenged -> I'm here posting am I not? how am I not standing up?

that up there is the reason why you can't take criticism, you want to dish it but you can't take it. You start making up false claims and character assassinations to put me down but yet it's absolutely the opposite of what you've stated.

If you can't take it, don't post.
I can say two things to that:

- look at your initial response - you wrote one insulting sentence without justification or reasoning
- now you have come back and posted a long winded post that makes absolutely no sense

So I stand by my initial comment. I can see why you like the downvote feature so much. You clearly have a lot of negativity and you're looking for an outlet. It must eat at you that you can no longer do it in anonymity.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2889 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:48 pm
Because downvoting was being used as an extremely lazy way of disagreeing with people without having to explain the reason for disagreeing and furthering the discussion in an engaging way.
Downvoting should be used in cases where someone isn't contributing anything worthwhile to the discussion but many people on RFD were using it on actually worthwhile comments they simply didn't agree with which makes for dead end crappy discussions. Upvoting is fine because it's just saying you agree with a person and have nothing further to add.
Actually, upvoting is exactly the same - just a lazy way of agreeing with someone without explaining. I can't understand how it's possible to argue that downvoting is lazy and upvoting is fine. That makes absolutely no sense.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28227 posts
4202 upvotes
Ottawa
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:24 pm
Actually, upvoting is exactly the same - just a lazy way of agreeing with someone without explaining. I can't understand how it's possible to argue that downvoting is lazy and upvoting is fine. That makes absolutely no sense.
Perhaps if it was just named Thanks, like it was before that would help you understand? It is a thank you for the information or post as opposed to upvote?
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7189 posts
981 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:32 pm
The problem is, people were using the downvote system as a means of trolling. One guy in particular on here (I won't mention the name although I've got a right mind to) gave me about 500 downvotes, it was over half his total. He was going through my post history and downvoting *everything* I posted, day in and day out, probably for months. I didn't notice it until I enabled downvote notifications in the system. One of the mods here noticed it right away and fixed it. Unfortunately I had a few people on here pull that nonsense on me. If you guys have seen me around on here I typically share decent deals and I help people out when I can. It was totally undeserved.

So while yes, there was some merit to the downvote system, overall it was a major negative for the forum here. It enabled the trolls. It emboldened them. The anonymity of the feature just fed right into their negative desires.

I'm personally extremely happy to see the feature go.
That is a little crazy. Somebody obviously liked you!

I guess if someone wanted to search all my posts just to down vote them, I'd think the guy had a few screws loose. But in the end, who cares? Not like he was hurting anyone. And as you mentioned, the mods noticed and fixed it. The system appeared to have worked.

It was not like it was completely anonymous anyway. You could always check the person's history to see what posts they downvoted if it really bothered you that much.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10471 posts
3790 upvotes
don242 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:34 pm
That is a little crazy. Somebody obviously liked you!

I guess if someone wanted to search all my posts just to down vote them, I'd think the guy had a few screws loose. But in the end, who cares? Not like he was hurting anyone. And as you mentioned, the mods noticed and fixed it. The system appeared to have worked.

It was not like it was completely anonymous anyway. You could always check the person's history to see what posts they downvoted if it really bothered you that much.
Perhaps I didn't explain that properly. One of the mods noticed it right away *after* I brought it to their attention. There was nothing automatic about it. I would say this probably happened to more people than we realize. Like I said, I had to enable the downvote notifications or else I never would have known, and the mods wouldn't have either.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7189 posts
981 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:37 pm
Perhaps I didn't explain that properly. One of the mods noticed it right away *after* I brought it to their attention. There was nothing automatic about it. I would say this probably happened to more people than we realize. Like I said, I had to enable the downvote notifications or else I never would have known, and the mods wouldn't have either.
Either way, the system worked. You noticed and reported it, and action was taken.
Mar 19, 2006
84 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
But'd you also attract the trolls, or self appointed forum police, who are happy to give 1000 downvotes in 90 days, and think their opinion are better than everyone else's without stating the reasons.
Viperoni wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 3:24 pm
I think that downvotes were especially useful in threads where folks asked for advice.... bad advice was pretty quickly downvoted in such threads in the Automotive subforum.
Mar 19, 2006
84 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver
Probably both SickBeast and myself would have gotten downvotes in this thread just for expressing our opinions, because some of the community takes a different position on the issue.

The point is that it really discourages discussions. Many posters have expressed frustration when they get downvotes for a sound post and said they will never post again on rfd.

don242 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:53 pm
Either way, the system worked. You noticed and reported it, and action was taken.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Nov 10th, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected name mentioned in post
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
Hey guys - whatever - it's over. RFD changed the system back (partially) for better or worse. Let's get on with it :)
And SickBeast, yeah don't worry about the arguments. It doesn't matter.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2889 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:37 pm
warmwolfy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:19 pm
Probably both SickBeast and myself would have gotten downvotes in this thread just for expressing our opinions, because some of the community takes a different position on the issue.

The point is that it really discourages discussions. Many posters have expressed frustration when they get downvotes for a sound post and said they will never post again on rfd.
I've said this before and I'll say it again, people like you just need to develop thicker skin. Going whining to the kids over downvotes? You guys are worse than my kids! Quitting RFD over downvotes? Seriously??? You guys definitely need some lessons on what truly matters in life, because trust me, downvotes are pretty far down the list.

I will keep arguing that just keeping upvotes makes no sense. An upvote needs its counterpart the downvote to exist in harmony. That's how Reddit works, and I don't really see people complaining about the downvote system over there.

I could support going back to the old thanks system, because at least that makes sense on its own and is a nice gesture which really can't be misunderstood. It is designed as a method of appreciation for help given, and not as a system for assessing the content value of a post (which I would argue is a much wider definition than just a simple thanks).
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2937 posts
2106 upvotes
Burnaby
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:49 pm
I've said this before and I'll say it again, people like you just need to develop thicker skin. Going whining to the kids over downvotes? You guys are worse than my kids! Quitting RFD over downvotes? Seriously??? You guys definitely need some lessons on what truly matters in life, because trust me, downvotes are pretty far down the list.

I will keep arguing that just keeping upvotes makes no sense. An upvote needs its counterpart the downvote to exist in harmony. That's how Reddit works, and I don't really see people complaining about the downvote system over there.

I could support going back to the old thanks system, because at least that makes sense on its own and is a nice gesture which really can't be misunderstood. It is designed as a method of appreciation for help given, and not as a system for assessing the content value of a post (which I would argue is a much wider definition than just a simple thanks).
Fantastic post!
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7189 posts
981 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
warmwolfy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:19 pm

Same. Probably would have received some as well. Opinion is fairly mixed on the subject. But the point is, who cares if you get a downvote? People are welcome to disagree with me.

That said, I do agree that if someone disagrees, I would rather get the reason. I don't mind hearing other viewpoints because sometimes it is something I never considered. But sometimes a simple up vote or downvote is good enough. Too bad there are people out there who take it so personal.

As mentioned, I rarely downvoted so not a big deal. Just seems odd that now you can only agree (upvote).
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:28 pm
Other than Tom and Shaner; we need to change up our Mods...seriously!
Yes I forgot Shaner (hardly interact with Tom) - some are more trigger happy that is true also but overall I think they are quite decent..

+ WorldIRC, MrDisco.

PS I figure the less interaction also the better :D
Last edited by springdays on Nov 10th, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
PS It would be good to see who downvoters are please - why the need to hide?