Locked: The option to downvote replies has been removed

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 1:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario

I think it's completely relevant when applied to deals to judge its popularity without entering the thread, but if someone is going to downvote your reply, they need to quote and explain now.
Awesome, thanks Tom and RFD admins!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4656 posts
1579 upvotes
I never did figure out why anybody gave two shits about getting down votes because they were never net against the number of up votes nor did they cause any negative side effects other than a lot of hurt feelings. It was though people around here thought they should care what other users around here think of them. I don't.

It did seem to become a microcosm of the world today where people are so thin-skinned and offended at every little thing that it boggles the mind. Grow up or at least grow a thicker skin. The world is an ugly place. Not everybody is going to like you so stop trying so hard.

I got around 90 or 100 before this change to wipe them out and I always chalked them up to "Meh, people just can't handle the truth or are just stupid." My down votes "given" at the end of this were 0 as it just struck me as childish from start to finish.

I am amused by some people in this thread that campaigned against the system but had chalked up hundreds of down votes given out; strange (and contradictory) behaviour indeed.

Am I sad to see it go? Did you just read the foregoing? I don't care either way.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
It's a simple business decision, downvoting has a net negative effect on traffic.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Pete_Coach wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:46 am
Great step.
Now, if you disagree with the post, you will have to identify yourself with a retort. Thank you very much Tom.
Agreed. If you disagree, stating your opposition is much more useful than (sometimes trollfully) smashing a downvote button.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:01 am
Agreed. If you disagree, stating your opposition is much more useful than (sometimes trollfully) smashing a downvote button.
+1; this will force people that disagree to come out and say why, or simply to remain silent. No more hiding behind the downvote button.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
11160 posts
873 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thank you. It was childish and do not believe it served any purpose. It seems sarcasm was punishable by too many downvotes.
Dec 13, 2012
551 posts
128 upvotes
TORONTO
Thank you for this. It felt like RDF was becoming a more and more hostile place with those often childish/trolling downvotes.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Yup. Wonder what the downvote trolls are going to do now to pass the time.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25391 posts
2750 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
T3rry wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:47 pm
Actually, i am sure the downvote button prevents a lot of negative posts, which would spiral the thread out of control, i think it was a beneficial outlet for people who disagreed so it didn't have to plug up the post with banter.
Isn't that the reason why we have moderators?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
There's a thread on this under Site Comments
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2298 posts
143 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 2:02 pm
Yup. Wonder what the downvote trolls are going to do now to pass the time.
I’ll miss smashing down-votes. ;(
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:02 am
+1; this will force people that disagree to come out and say why, or simply to remain silent. No more hiding behind the downvote button.
Great point WorldIRC - I don't care too much either way, but I think this is a relevant point.
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
Seeing who downvotes threads is also fine - if people want to downvote, then own it. For consideration ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7492 posts
1277 upvotes
The huuuurts! hahahaha. This thread gave me a good laugh, thank you Tom.

Having said that, I DO agree with the removal of downvotes. It didn't added anything positive to the discussions.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2889 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:02 am
But why wouldn't the same logic apply to upvotes? Shouldn't mindless agreement with an opinion also be forced out with an explanation?