Site Comments & Suggestions

Locked: The option to downvote replies has been removed

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 1:36 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 4:19 pm
But why wouldn't the same logic apply to upvotes? Shouldn't mindless agreement with an opinion also be forced out with an explanation?
Because upvotes promote a positive culture and improve business. Why do think fb and gram don't have down buttons?
It's all about the traffic and keeping people here.

Or simply positive reinforcement has a stronger effect than negative. Social psychology to sell trumps unbiased logic.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
springdays wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 3:27 pm
Seeing who downvotes threads is also fine - if people want to downvote, then own it. For consideration ;)
I believe this was an option being reviewed by the admins, but a decision was made to scrap the program as allowing visibility would likely have also created other issues.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 4:19 pm
But why wouldn't the same logic apply to upvotes? Shouldn't mindless agreement with an opinion also be forced out with an explanation?
I'm not sure they're the same. Up-voting a post or thread has never really caused animosity or repelled someone from contributing to the site.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 24, 2008
2889 posts
768 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:22 pm
I'm not sure they're the same. Up-voting a post or thread has never really caused animosity or repelled someone from contributing to the site.
So it's ok to hide behind an upvote button, but not ok to hide behind a downvote button - yeah, that makes perfect sense. Because nobody ever made a negative post which then got upvotes. But, I suppose that's when we're supposed to come running to the mods instead. This is so messed up.

Now, the argument about driving business I get. You want to create a quasi Disney world where everyone puts on their fake smiles and pretend to be happy. But it would be nice if that was actually given as the official reason rather than all the other nonsense arguments.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:12 pm
So it's ok to hide behind an upvote button, but not ok to hide behind a downvote button - yeah, that makes perfect sense. Because nobody ever made a negative post which then got upvotes. But, I suppose that's when we're supposed to come running to the mods instead. This is so messed up.

Now, the argument about driving business I get. You want to create a quasi Disney world where everyone puts on their fake smiles and pretend to be happy. But it would be nice if that was actually given as the official reason rather than all the other nonsense arguments.
There was almost a year worth of extensive community discussion on what to do with the feature due to the abuse. Most of what the community predicted would happen, did happen, hence why the majority overwhelmingly asked for the functionality to be removed. The admins listened. If you want an "official reason", then I'm sure @TomRFD would be happy to provide one. There's no sense beating the discussion though as the decision has been made, resources were assigned to removing it, and I doubt the decision will be reversed or revisited anytime soon.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4401 posts
2737 upvotes
Montreal
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:17 pm
There was almost a year worth of extensive community discussion on what to do with the feature due to the abuse. Most of what the community predicted would happen, did happen, hence why the majority overwhelmingly asked for the functionality to be removed. The admins listened. If you want an "official reason", then I'm sure @TomRFD would be happy to provide one. There's no sense beating the discussion though as the decision has been made, resources were assigned to removing it, and I doubt the decision will be reversed or revisited anytime soon.
Oh please, you have hundreds of thousands of members and maybe 2-3 dozen who were butthurt because of downvotes and constantly posting non stop propaganda on why it was a terrible idea. Getting rid of downvotes is another step in sterilizing this place into the admins/mods kindergarten. You can no longer disagree with anyone here, your post gets reported and you get penalized under the complete and broad term 'rude' or 'personal attack' .

Here's a suggestion, why the need to act every time someone reports? You can reply with the suggestion to use the 'ignore' feature instead of trying to appease overly sensitive thin skinned posters. Downvotes were a way to show your disagreement, I would get tons just by daring to say anything negative against an EV, Tesla or Elon the Conman :D but I didn't care at all cause some things are more important in life as has been already posted. You'll have more clutter and need more moderation from the ensuing bickering...
Moderator
User avatar
May 8, 2009
1716 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
ottofly wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 9:12 pm
Oh please, you have hundreds of thousands of members and maybe 2-3 dozen who were butthurt because of downvotes and constantly posting non stop propaganda on why it was a terrible idea. Getting rid of downvotes is another step in sterilizing this place into the admins/mods kindergarten. You can no longer disagree with anyone here, your post gets reported and you get penalized under the complete and broad term 'rude' or 'personal attack' .

Here's a suggestion, why the need to act every time someone reports? You can reply with the suggestion to use the 'ignore' feature instead of trying to appease overly sensitive thin skinned posters. Downvotes were a way to show your disagreement, I would get tons just by daring to say anything negative against an EV, Tesla or Elon the Conman :D but I didn't care at all cause some things are more important in life as has been already posted. You'll have more clutter and need more moderation from the ensuing bickering...
Most social platforms don't have a dislike button and are doing fine without it. If you feel that strongly about a post being unhelpful or you disagree with it, then best to reply to the post and express that. And you can certainly express your opinion without resorting to a personal attack or trolling.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
springdays wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 3:27 pm
Seeing who downvotes threads is also fine - if people want to downvote, then own it. For consideration ;)
Every downvote I gave (like all 20 of them) I followed up with a post saying that I downvoted and the reason for said downvote. At least then the person knows why they received it.

Like you said, if you’re going to downvote at least own it.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
15620 posts
4376 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 4:19 pm
But why wouldn't the same logic apply to upvotes? Shouldn't mindless agreement with an opinion also be forced out with an explanation?
What am I supposed to say?

‘I concur’ after every upvote given?

Sometimes I give them to make a fellow rfder aware that I’ve read the post that theyve quoted me in.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4401 posts
2737 upvotes
Montreal
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 3:00 am
Most social platforms don't have a dislike button and are doing fine without it. If you feel that strongly about a post being unhelpful or you disagree with it, then best to reply to the post and express that. And you can certainly express your opinion without resorting to a personal attack or trolling.
This place also didn't have an upvote button either and it was doing fine without it too so not sure what your point is. If everyone has to reply to an opinion they don't agree with you are asking for clutter and bickering. Am I the only one who noticed a massive decline in locked threads with downvoting introduced? Trolling declined and your time spent moderating the bickering will increase. If someone posts nonsense one should expect to be called out and downvoted (what colour duvet should I buy, the blue or the beige? Do I look good in these Levis jean? do these glasses look good on me? my oven is smoking what do I do?? yes these are REAL threads) but the mods will come out with the broad term of 'personal attack' as soon as you get a report. For example, I'm quoting your post which I think is rubbish, so if I'm quoting you and directed to you it's personal. Tom RFD will soon come and use the broad term of 'rude' or 'personal attack' to delete posts just to appease thin skinned overly sensitive posters, why not let the community hammer it with downvotes? I stand by what I said, it's just another example of this forum trying to appease a couple dozen butthurt posters.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
1822 posts
220 upvotes
In another world
Why aren't there thumbsup for the Off-Topic forum?
There are very good opinions of people who deserve an upvote.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
11197 posts
1464 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The downvote button was very useful. There are some known trolls on this forum and all they do is troll the forums.
Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1585 upvotes
Newmarket
gontori wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:48 am
Why aren't there thumbsup for the Off-Topic forum?
There are very good opinions of people who deserve an upvote.
With downvotes now removed, perhaps this something @TomRFD can review.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
To those who think an instant anonymous downvote button should still exist, we all come from different backgrounds, varying in age, intelligence, social IQ, experience, etc. Do you think the person receiving even understands?

Have some empathy for others instead of being egocentric. You’re sitting behind a screen replying to a real person. If you feel that strongly about a comment, own up and say something. If others agree, your post will be upvoted.

There’s also a way to say things, constructive vs destructive criticism. It all contributes to a more thoughtful public decorum.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 15, 2012
9840 posts
4222 upvotes
Southern Ontario
geokilla wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:58 am
The downvote button was very useful. There are some known trolls on this forum and all they do is troll the forums.
Just report them. We encourage this behavior when we downvote or reply.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)