• Nov 15th, 2017 1:36 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11199 posts
1467 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:19 am
Just report them. We encourage this behavior when we downvote or reply.
Reporting does nothing. No action is taken and so they just continue to troll, posting those stupid comments. It's like they're trying to accumulate as many downvotes as possible.

For example: Raptors forum. maximdude will just post the same thing over and over again where half of us don't bother reading his posts anymore.
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1586 upvotes
Newmarket
geokilla wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:32 am
Reporting does nothing. No action is taken and so they just continue to troll, posting those stupid comments. It's like they're trying to accumulate as many downvotes as possible.

For example: Raptors forum. maximdude will just post the same thing over and over again where half of us don't bother reading his posts anymore.
We will take action if a user's posts break the forum rules. If you feel your reports are not being actioned, you can PM TomRFD and he would be happy to review and provide an explanation for you.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2301 posts
144 upvotes
gontori wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:48 am
Why aren't there thumbsup for the Off-Topic forum?
There are very good opinions of people who deserve an upvote.
It didn't make sense to introduce up/down-vote before but now with only up-vote being part of the forum, it's easier for the off topic place to not freak out. That section can be divisive as hell sometimes so having a thumbs up feature wouldn't be huge problem.
Last edited by Dumbbelldore on Nov 13th, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9843 posts
4228 upvotes
Southern Ontario
geokilla wrote:

I'm not emotionally tied to those debates, when I read his posts, they don't seem to cross any rules. It's not Hot Deals, in a sub forum, this kind of banter goes on unless it gets personally inflammatory. I suggest do what WorldIRC said, mods don't see everything.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15786 posts
4688 upvotes
Ottawa
geokilla wrote:

Really, I've received many warnings and had posts deleted because it "offended" one person!
Sep 27, 2003
8220 posts
1586 upvotes
Newmarket
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:52 am
Really, I've received many warnings and had posts deleted because it "offended" one person!
Did your post violate the rules?
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28233 posts
4203 upvotes
Ottawa
Little Tim wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:12 pm
So it's ok to hide behind an upvote button, but not ok to hide behind a downvote button - yeah, that makes perfect sense. ......
Never was any "hiding behind upvotes". It was always visible to see who gave you an upvote (formerly a Thanks button).
The discussion started by requesting downvotes to be as visible as upvotes.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 6:28 am
Every downvote I gave (like all 20 of them) I followed up with a post saying that I downvoted and the reason for said downvote. At least then the person knows why they received it.

Like you said, if you’re going to downvote at least own it.
Salute !!! :)
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:21 pm
I believe this was an option being reviewed by the admins, but a decision was made to scrap the program as allowing visibility would likely have also created other issues.
'Thank you for the update, WorldIRC :) I do prefer people owning their stuff, but understand why the decision was made to forgo it - cheers :)
"Obama is the quintessence of all that is wrong with America today.. people looking at the superficial which is skin color and ignoring idiotic behavior." - the poster AndySixx 😲 :facepalm:
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2016
753 posts
199 upvotes
ottofly wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:50 am
This place also didn't have an upvote button either and it was doing fine without it too so not sure what your point is. If everyone has to reply to an opinion they don't agree with you are asking for clutter and bickering. Am I the only one who noticed a massive decline in locked threads with downvoting introduced? Trolling declined and your time spent moderating the bickering will increase. If someone posts nonsense one should expect to be called out and downvoted (what colour duvet should I buy, the blue or the beige? Do I look good in these Levis jean? do these glasses look good on me? my oven is smoking what do I do?? yes these are REAL threads) but the mods will come out with the broad term of 'personal attack' as soon as you get a report. For example, I'm quoting your post which I think is rubbish, so if I'm quoting you and directed to you it's personal. Tom RFD will soon come and use the broad term of 'rude' or 'personal attack' to delete posts just to appease thin skinned overly sensitive posters, why not let the community hammer it with downvotes? I stand by what I said, it's just another example of this forum trying to appease a couple dozen butthurt posters.
haha These are real threads? lol

By the way I also vote on the latter part - sometimes disagreements happen & I also do not like over moderation (depends on mod), at the same time I empathize that this is a commercial site & it needs to be managed - also AncasterRFD makes an excellent point. Ack!

PS Another one of my posts got deleted. Grr.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4404 posts
2748 upvotes
Montreal
WorldIRC wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:02 pm
Did your post violate the rules?
lol...what are these 'rules'? A 'personal attack' and being 'rude' can be viewed as subjective and very blanket excuse to remove posts or give out infractions, like a carte blanche. I've got lots of posts also deleted because one poster gets butthurt and of course Tom RFD and the mods must appease everyone who reports you. This very post can be viewed as 'rude' correct? Seriously, it's all getting to be a little ridiculous.
springdays wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 3:35 pm
haha These are real threads? lol
Yes sir they are. All allowed by the mods. lol Talk about low content. Check your PM
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1467 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
T3rry wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 5:47 pm
Actually, i am sure the downvote button prevents a lot of negative posts, which would spiral the thread out of control, i think it was a beneficial outlet for people who disagreed so it didn't have to plug up the post with banter.
A lot of negative post are either edited or deleted by the mods here. I found the up and down votes very childish but love getting down voted for going against the grain in most topics. It's even more childish now that you can only do up votes. Might as well just have both for topics only and remove entirely for replies.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3215 posts
570 upvotes
London
some1not wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 11:25 pm
. Might as well just have both for topics only and remove entirely for replies.
100%
Dec 14, 2011
824 posts
233 upvotes
London
I'll just add my name to the list that thinks this is a bad change to the system.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2006
4622 posts
445 upvotes
Calgary
I love how all people defending this say the mods will take care of negative comments... as if they have unlimited resources to police the forums.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)