Options if kicked out

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2018 3:29 pm
[OP]
Aug 31, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote

Options if kicked out

Without getting into specifics since my case is still in the beginning stages right now and I don't know if I can share any information, if I were to get expelled (or suspended for 1 year) from one of the Ontario universities after my first year for non-academic reasons, can I still apply to other universities in Canada and be considered based on my high school grades or will this door have closed entirely for me?

I'm currently in clear academic standing. It's not probable that I'm going to be kicked out but I just want to plan ahead for anything.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1179 posts
769 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Colleges would probably take you for non-competitive programs, and smaller universities.
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4798 posts
850 upvotes
Toronto
as long as you get good grades, pay your tuition and abide by the rules/laws then you have nothing to worry about. Worrying will only affect your studies.
Jun 10, 2015
265 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I know someone who was kicked from York for physically assaulting York Staff.

He didn't get into anywhere.
Mar 6, 2015
330 posts
20 upvotes
howdydo wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 8:47 am
Details for this incident so people can learn from it?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9910 posts
1820 upvotes
Montréal
This is actually an interesting topic because I know somebody who was supposedly just 1 year away from graduating, but didn't. He's not the type to have invested all the time/$ into it and just to quit while being just 1 year away and so close, doesn't make sense. I guess the safe bet is to assume he was kicked out also? If that was indeed the case, are all his credits erased and he can't continue in another university?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jan 14, 2010
606 posts
156 upvotes
brucevayne wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 3:19 pm
...can I still apply to other universities in Canada and be considered based on my high school grades or will this door have closed entirely for me?
This is the only part of your question that matters, and the answer is no. Once you complete any post-secondary education, it's academic misconduct to portray yourself as post-secondary-naïve.
You might get away with it, but will always (as in forever) run the risk of having your degree withdrawn should something be found out.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
howdydo wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 8:47 am

Ontario or Canada-wide? I'm currently under investigation, don't know if I can share the details of my case but it's similar. I only acted out of self-defense though.

Also, York staff as in administration or security?
slash2345 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 1:14 pm
What the heck did you do?
I'd share all the details but I wanna wait until the end of the week when I have the school's decision. I'm probably gonna share my case later so people can learn from it.
Jun 10, 2015
265 posts
49 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
brucevayne wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 10:01 pm
Ontario or Canada-wide? I'm currently under investigation, don't know if I can share the details of my case but it's similar. I only acted out of self-defense though.

I'd share all the details but I wanna wait until the end of the week when I have the school's decision. I'm probably gonna share my case later so people can learn from it.
Security. If that is your situation I think your SOL. But share the results pls.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4815 posts
2216 upvotes
Toronto
brucevayne wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 10:01 pm

Are you able to share the details now?... it would be a good "lesson learned" case to other students out there
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Aug 31, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
roblombardi wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 9:58 am
Are you able to share the details now?... it would be a good "lesson learned" case to other students out there
Sadly I'm not as the case is still open.

I promise though, as soon as this is over I will share the full story here.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4815 posts
2216 upvotes
Toronto
brucevayne wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 1:07 pm
Sadly I'm not as the case is still open.

I promise though, as soon as this is over I will share the full story here.
Good luck in your case's resolution... and feel free to share as much as you are comfortable with when the time is right
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Jan 4, 2007
53 posts
11 upvotes
brucevayne wrote:
Sep 1st, 2018 3:19 pm
Without getting into specifics since my case is still in the beginning stages right now and I don't know if I can share any information, if I were to get expelled (or suspended for 1 year) from one of the Ontario universities after my first year for non-academic reasons, can I still apply to other universities in Canada and be considered based on my high school grades or will this door have closed entirely for me?

I'm currently in clear academic standing. It's not probable that I'm going to be kicked out but I just want to plan ahead for anything.
well the fact that you're asking about HS when you've done one year suggests that you're planning on applying and not informing the new school of your time at another university. That might be frowned upon perhaps in the area of fraud and when they find out any new school would likely be inclined to boot you for not disclosing full academic record.
If it's just the assault, the current school would likely just suspend you but even if they booted it shouldn't affect going to any other school.
You'd probably want to talk to a lawyer anyways for several reasons.