Travel

Options for our summer trip....which one ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2018 7:35 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
625 posts
77 upvotes

Options for our summer trip....which one ?

Hi !

we are thorn between two options for our 2019 summer vacations. You have to know that:

We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids of 7 and 11)

we are school teacher and school psychologist so we dont have a choice, we have to travel in July-August

We are french speaking (we can speak and understand english very well but not our kids)

In last years we have been in Germany, Austria, Portugal, catalonia and Italy

we love good food, history, craft beer, and kids activities (beach, playgrounds)

We have budget for 23-27 days.

So, for now, we have three ideas:

1) England-Scotland.

- Fly to Glasgow, stay ther for 2 nights.

- Train To edinburgh (3 nights)

- rent a car for the rest of the trip

- Aberdeen ? Inverness? Skye ? Mull ? Still have to decide we will have 6-9 nights for that part

- drive to northern england (Adrian wall )

- cotswold ? Bath ? Liverpool ?

- finish to London, let the car there, stay 4-5 nights and fly back home

2) France

- Fly To Lyon (2-3 nights)

- Rent a car, drive to Annecy (2 nights)

- Go in vaucluse region (5-6 nights)

- Marseilles ? Toulouse ? Carcassonne ?

- Dordogne (5-6 nights)

- Bordeau (2-3 nights) and fly back home

Option 3) SW France + Northern Spain

1) Fly to Toulouse (2-3 nights)

2) rent a car after Toulouse. Stop In Carcasonne (1 night)

3) Pyrennes (Pau ? Biarritz ?) (2-3 nighst)

4) Northern Spain Coast ( San Sebastian ) Bilbao ? Llanes ?) (4-5 nights)

5) St Jacques Compostelle region (2 nights)

6 Leon region (2 nights)

7) Head to Bordeaux (one night stop on route)

8) Dordogne region (4-5 nights)

9) drop car Bordeaux (2-3 nights)

10) Fly back home

Any ideas/thoughts about this ?

Thanks !
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
2732 posts
940 upvotes
tostaky wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 11:03 am
Hi !

we are thorn between two options for our 2019 summer vacations. You have to know that:

We are a family of four (2 adults and 2 kids of 7 and 11)

we are school teacher and school psychologist so we dont have a choice, we have to travel in July-August

We are french speaking (we can speak and understand english very well but not our kids)

In last years we have been in Germany, Austria, Portugal, catalonia and Italy

we love good food, history, craft beer, and kids activities (beach, playgrounds)

We have budget for 23-27 days.

So, for now, we have three ideas:

1) England-Scotland.

- Fly to Glasgow, stay ther for 2 nights.

- Train To edinburgh (3 nights)

- rent a car for the rest of the trip

- Aberdeen ? Inverness? Skye ? Mull ? Still have to decide we will have 6-9 nights for that part

- drive to northern england (Adrian wall )

- cotswold ? Bath ? Liverpool ?

- finish to London, let the car there, stay 4-5 nights and fly back home

2) France

- Fly To Lyon (2-3 nights)

- Rent a car, drive to Annecy (2 nights)

- Go in vaucluse region (5-6 nights)

- Marseilles ? Toulouse ? Carcassonne ?

- Dordogne (5-6 nights)

- Bordeau (2-3 nights) and fly back home

Option 3) SW France + Northern Spain

1) Fly to Toulouse (2-3 nights)

2) rent a car after Toulouse. Stop In Carcasonne (1 night)

3) Pyrennes (Pau ? Biarritz ?) (2-3 nighst)

4) Northern Spain Coast ( San Sebastian ) Bilbao ? Llanes ?) (4-5 nights)

5) St Jacques Compostelle region (2 nights)

6 Leon region (2 nights)

7) Head to Bordeaux (one night stop on route)

8) Dordogne region (4-5 nights)

9) drop car Bordeaux (2-3 nights)

10) Fly back home

Any ideas/thoughts about this ?

Thanks !
Sorry, I will not help you that much, but this question is so personnal… I wonder why you ask here, on a public forum…. If I get your question, you are not looking for advices, but you really asking wich of those options to choose from because you are thorn? Just my opinion, but instead of asking on a public forum, maybe you should talk about it with your partner, and, maybe you can involve your kids in the decision by exploring internet with them to see what they will have to do / see at each places? ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7042 posts
1367 upvotes
Mississauga
Personally, I would do option 3. Northern Spain is known for its Michelin quality food. It will be very hot in July/August.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3876 posts
1091 upvotes
Moncton
Since you have more time than money, I'd suggest eastern Europe, even Turkey. Exploring the Greek Islands is also time consuming but relatively affordable. An other cheap but rewarding place is Morocco (although speaking French is a mixed blessing with all the touts).

Now that Ryanair is unionized they are in France. You can go seriously nuts exploring all the relatively cheap air options with that company. google.ca/flights

The UK is jammed packed with things to visit and very easy to get around. But sticker shock on everything can get annoying. Best to visit it in a hurry. The kids can get working holiday permits for the UK after they turn 18, so you might be spoiling it for them by visiting now.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Dec 26, 2008
356 posts
88 upvotes
I recommend my old favorite, Amsterdam/Brussels and I am a kid at heart.

Let's run down your checklist.

a) Good food. Yes there's lots of good food in Amsterdam. It's not France or Spain, which is better known for food. But there is a ton of diversity in Amsterdam. Just get out of the touristy areas and do your research. The whole city is so small that you can walk or take a short taxi ride.

b) Good beer. Bingo - Amsterdam has tons of craft beer and if you are really into beer, take a trip south to Belgium and enjoy some of the finest beer on the planet. The beer in this part of the world is always so fresh.

c) Things to do for kids. Amsterdam is very child friendly. There's a nearby zoo, a science centre,some important museums like Anne Frank. Some of the candy and chocolates there are amazing. Plus Netherlands never gets too hot.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2753 posts
360 upvotes
Vaughan
Anyone reason why you're only sticking with Europe? Nothing wrong with Europe, but imo, there are lots of other great places to visit, besides Europe. Life is too short just to limit yourself to certain parts of the world.

Seems like you have a few trips are already planned. So might as well just roll some dice and pick one, and do the other one the year after.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
625 posts
77 upvotes
everylittlecent wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 4:26 pm
if you doing option 2 or 3 it will be cheaper to lease a vehicle than renting.
I'll check into that, but maybe we wont have the car for the whole trip...it worth it if it's for 21 days or more.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
625 posts
77 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:38 am
Since you have more time than money, I'd suggest eastern Europe, even Turkey. Exploring the Greek Islands is also time consuming but relatively affordable. An other cheap but rewarding place is Morocco (although speaking French is a mixed blessing with all the touts).

Now that Ryanair is unionized they are in France. You can go seriously nuts exploring all the relatively cheap air options with that company. google.ca/flights

The UK is jammed packed with things to visit and very easy to get around. But sticker shock on everything can get annoying. Best to visit it in a hurry. The kids can get working holiday permits for the UK after they turn 18, so you might be spoiling it for them by visiting now.
I didn't know the meaning of sticker shock, I know Uk can be expensive. We will put that in the minus column ! We wont avoid some place just in case our kids want's to go there when they turn 18 !
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
625 posts
77 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 2:37 am
Anyone reason why you're only sticking with Europe? Nothing wrong with Europe, but imo, there are lots of other great places to visit, besides Europe. Life is too short just to limit yourself to certain parts of the world.
We love Europe, but we are not against goins anywhere else...but where ?
Asia is miserably hot in summer,
Africa ? Not of cup of tea.
South America ? Well....which country ?
Australia ? Too far.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
625 posts
77 upvotes
Shoppersbeermart wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:59 am
I recommend my old favorite, Amsterdam/Brussels and I am a kid at heart.
I'eb already gone to Amsterdam and Belgium when i was 22....that was 20 years ago ! I can put it in the mix but I dont feel the urge/need to go back.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
625 posts
77 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 7:24 pm
If I get your question, you are not looking for advices, but you really asking wich of those options to choose from because you are thorn?
Of course i'm looking for advices or suggestions. We are thorn between those places (and yes we have discuss about it) but are very open minded about others destinations.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2001
4790 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
OP, have you thinking about cruising to Western and Eastern Europe?

It will be a lot less expensive and headache. You don't need to worry about lodging, meals and lugging those heavy luggages around.

Cruising is no longer for the newly married or retiree.
Mark77 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2011 9:37 pm
That's not very nice....and you're missing out on a lot of valuable knowledge if you ignore me. Your loss.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1414 posts
255 upvotes
Ontario
Stay away from France. Some poor RFDer was sucker punched there. There is a RFD boycott of France until the incident is resolved.
[OP]
Jul 23, 2008
625 posts
77 upvotes
whampoa wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 4:13 pm
OP, have you thinking about cruising to Western and Eastern Europe?

It will be a lot less expensive and headache. You don't need to worry about lodging, meals and lugging those heavy luggages around.
No thanks, What youy call Headache is fun for me. FInd a nice airbnb, feel the vibe of a city by staying there, f looking a good restaurant it's all travel fun to us. And we dont have heavy luggage, We are smart travelers et we travel lightly
!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)