• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2014 6:26 am
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2009
466 posts
115 upvotes

Options to sync google calendar with outlook after Aug 1st

I just got an email from google telling me the following.

Important Announcement about Google Calendar Sync
Almost two years ago, we announced that we had ended support for Google Calendar Sync. Starting on 1 August 2014, this app will no longer sync events between your Google Calendar and Microsoft Outlook Calendar.
You can continue to access all of your Google Calendar events at calendar.google.com or on your mobile devices. Follow these instructions to uninstall Google Calendar Sync from your computer.

What are my options if I want my outlook calendar and the the one on my phone to link automatically?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Stop using Google calendar as your primary and syncing it to your desktop. Use your Outlook calendar as your primary and sync it to your phone.
Jul 7, 2014
1 posts
Baigle wrote: I just got an email from google telling me the following.

Important Announcement about Google Calendar Sync
Almost two years ago, we announced that we had ended support for Google Calendar Sync. Starting on 1 August 2014, this app will no longer sync events between your Google Calendar and Microsoft Outlook Calendar.
You can continue to access all of your Google Calendar events at calendar.google.com or on your mobile devices. Follow these instructions to uninstall Google Calendar Sync from your computer.

What are my options if I want my outlook calendar and the the one on my phone to link automatically?
Google is becoming more and more like Apple. They want to control everything so that they can make more money. When I chose Android, syncing was a great option. Now they are ending it, trying to force me to use Google apps, which will cost me $5/month, which translates to about $50 in my country because of our currency.

Calender sync is such a simple and small software, yet they want so much money for it. I do not need the other services.

Google, I have lost trust in you. You are now just like Apple. First you stole my 32G SD card with Kit Kat, now calender sync, what next. Now that you have grown up, you are becoming a bully. Well, you are losing me as a customer.

There are other 3rd parties, but how long before Google puts an end to that? I am angry!!!!
Apr 12, 2009
466 posts
115 upvotes
What is the difference? If I am using my desktop I add it to my outlook but if I am away from the computer I just add it to my phone. I want the calendar to sync both ways and have the same schedule so I don't double book myself.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2569 posts
751 upvotes
Ottawa
Bobberts wrote: Have you used this program? Is it any good?
No, haven't used it myself. Just found it by googling
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2001
1205 posts
37 upvotes
Burnaby
This also pissed me off. Will try to avoid Google as much as possible. Simple tool, without it my calendar falls apart. Tablet, Phone, Outlook on desktop, Outlook on Laptop, want all of those to be in sync.

I am now trying gSyncit. Seems to work well. I had one problem where appointments would double up. I think it was because Google Calendar Sync auto-started in the background and I had two sync programs running simultaneously. Uninstalled Google Calendar Sync and so far so good.

hades
Dec 1, 2012
320 posts
114 upvotes
Victoria
This is actually easier than it sounds.

Set up a Microsoft account (if you don't already have one).

Add your Gmail account into your MS account, it will sync all your calendar, contacts, email etc.

Change your Gmail account to a "Send Only Account". Make your Gmail address the default account to send from.

Set Gmail up to auto-forward everything to your Outlook account. This includes creating a filter that reads: "is:spam" (without the quotes) This is so even your spam get's forwarded so you don't miss anything that ends up in Gmails spam folder. Outlook.com does a fine job filtering spam. By doing it this way you get "push" email because Gmail kicks it out the door immediately, and Outlook.com uses EAS.

Install the Outlook app on your Android phone from the Play Store

Add the Outlook.com account to your desktop Outlook.

You now have full EAS for your Gmail, and for all intensive purposes you are sending from your Gmail account.

Cost: $0

P.S. Install the OneDrive app on your phone while you're at it, it'll give you 18GB of free storage, and that syncs very nicely with your desktop PC as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2569 posts
751 upvotes
Ottawa
so, what you are guys using now?
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Sep 26, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
golden_m wrote: so, what you are guys using now?
I use evo collaborator for outlook: it synchronizes google calendar and contacts with outlook, if you have other accounts like icloud, yahoo or fruux, it can sync with them too.

I'd like to recommend this all in one add-in to synchronize all of your cloud contacts and calendars to outlook. (see above link for a how-to tutorial)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)