• Apr 22nd, 2016 2:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes

Options for temporary health insurance while travelling for seniors

Wondering if any RFDers have encountered basic emergency travel insurance for healthy seniors over 70 years old. Credit cards don't cover it if you're over 65.

Looking for options for some family members going on a 3-week trip to Europe.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1047 posts
490 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
Have you tried Kanetix (the insurance quote website)?
They might have a product for travellers above 70.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5755 posts
7939 upvotes
Ontario
The issue might be getting all healthcare providers to list anything prescribed (in past two years; expect this service to be a billable to patient fee by a doctor or healthcare provider) to those seniors for the insurance forms, regardless of whether the prescriptions were filled or not. Also the seniors would have to get signed off on having been stable for any preexisting conditions for say 6 months prior to travel. So you need to consider a lot of lead time to apply for any insurance with those stipulations.

Have the seniors look into any existing group health benefits through former workplaces (plans do change when companies switch providers every so often) for travel coverage.
Don't know what province you are in. Is Liberty Health one of the providers? RBC's plans are through Manulife Assurance. Check the major automotive clubs for any travel insurance plans besides credit card companies, banks, loyalty programs...
Have new cookbooks but am not cooking anything new yet.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
Ciel wrote: The issue might be getting all healthcare providers to list anything prescribed (in past two years; expect this service to be a billable to patient fee by a doctor or healthcare provider) to those seniors for the insurance forms, regardless of whether the prescriptions were filled or not. Also the seniors would have to get signed off on having been stable for any preexisting conditions for say 6 months prior to travel. So you need to consider a lot of lead time to apply for any insurance with those stipulations.

Have the seniors look into any existing group health benefits through former workplaces (plans do change when companies switch providers every so often) for travel coverage.
Don't know what province you are in. Is Liberty Health one of the providers? RBC's plans are through Manulife Assurance. Check the major automotive clubs for any travel insurance plans besides credit card companies, banks, loyalty programs...
Thanks, Ciel. I'll look into that. We're in BC... does that make a difference?

Looks like BCAA offers 3 weeks coverage for about $190... just have to check if there's been high blood pressure or cholesterol diagnosed recently.
Jan 12, 2009
386 posts
434 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
atomiton wrote: Thanks, Ciel. I'll look into that. We're in BC... does that make a difference?

Looks like BCAA offers 3 weeks coverage for about $190... just have to check if there's been high blood pressure or cholesterol diagnosed recently.
For some credit cards, over 70 pers are covered (Capital One WE (8 days), Scotiabank Amex Gold (10 days), Desjardins/National Bank (15 days) if under 75). Several Visa Infinites will cover approx days. In any case, maybe a top up of existing insurance might end up being cheaper over the three weeks?

I do recall a snowbird association offering discounted travel insurance, the other posters are right, there are a wide variety of providers, but you need to read their conditions very carefully.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
csp wrote: For some credit cards, over 70 pers are covered (Capital One WE (8 days), Scotiabank Amex Gold (10 days), Desjardins/National Bank (15 days) if under 75). Several Visa Infinites will cover approx days. In any case, maybe a top up of existing insurance might end up being cheaper over the three weeks?

I do recall a snowbird association offering discounted travel insurance, the other posters are right, there are a wide variety of providers, but you need to read their conditions very carefully.
Thanks for the tips on those CCs. I figure we'll see more of these cards as Boomers age. I have a few Visa Infinites. Time to check the policies!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)