Wheels and Tires

Ordered Winter Tires from Canadian Tire and they mounted them on rims without permission?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 11:09 am
[OP]
Jan 9, 2011
21 posts
12 upvotes
Tri-City Area

Ordered Winter Tires from Canadian Tire and they mounted them on rims without permission?

Hi,

I'm a first time car owner, and I was wondering if I could get some advice. Here's basically the timeline:
  • I just bought a set of winter tires from Canadian Tire a few days ago, and they came in yesterday.
  • I don't have a set of rims, so o get them installed, I called a few places, including Canadian Tire, to get a quote for rims as well as the installation and I ultimately decided to go to a local garage nearby. I am scheduled to get them mounted and installed tomorrow.
  • Approximately an hour ago, I received a call from Canadian Tire asking when I want to come in to get them installed, and I told them that I will only be picking up the winter tires.
  • A few minutes ago, the Canadian Tire guy just called me and said the tires are already mounted on to the rims, and that if I want to get it done at Canadian Tire, it will be half off. I told him I wasn't interested.

However, I'm worried that since they mounted the tire onto the rim already, there may be possibility that it will get damaged. I heard that mounting and unmounting tires onto rims will affect their lifespan.

Should I be worried at all?
Last edited by Craznn on Mar 1st, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8530 posts
2748 upvotes
Toronto
Installed by Canadian Tire is a no no, be for warned for future/existing problems
Koodo $40/8GB
[OP]
Jan 9, 2011
21 posts
12 upvotes
Tri-City Area
If there anything I can do, since they mounted them on the rims without my permission? All I wanted to do was pick up the tires from them and take them to another place to get them installed.
Jul 27, 2006
889 posts
486 upvotes
Moncton
The tires will be fine if you choose to remove them, but you might be able to get them to waive the installation fee all together if you just buy the wheels at CT. Another thing to consider is CT will not honor the road hazard warranty if you get them mounted elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1770 posts
389 upvotes
Maple
I would just try to get the install fee waved 100%

look, we all know Canadian tire is garbage. You wouldn't take your care there for any real work but I am willing to bet they can install tires without issue. Dont worry about it but make sure you dont pay for it.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2011
21 posts
12 upvotes
Tri-City Area
oIIIIIo wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 2:24 pm
The tires will be fine if you choose to remove them
corcoran_chris wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 2:27 pm
I would just try to get the install fee waved 100%

look, we all know Canadian tire is garbage. You wouldn't take your care there for any real work but I am willing to bet they can install tires without issue. Dont worry about it but make sure you dont pay for it.
That's good, I was just worried about the tires being damaged somehow.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1878 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Craznn wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 2:32 pm
That's good, I was just worried about the tires being damaged somehow.
If it was installed by Canadian Tire, then it is already damaged.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27107 posts
13106 upvotes
Ottawa
Shouldn't your title be "Ordered Winter tires and rims..."?
Jan 17, 2009
788 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'd get them re-balanced.

Just try to get it waived 100% and then take it to an independent shop to basically re-do the work and make sure it's done properly. But i also distrust Canadian Tire 10x worse than the dealerships.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3093 posts
2349 upvotes
The NORTH
If you didn't buy rims, what did canadian tire mount them on? Unless the rims are free have them remove YOUR tires from THEIR rims!
[OP]
Jan 9, 2011
21 posts
12 upvotes
Tri-City Area
I didn't order rims from Canadian Tire. I only ordered the tires.

I'm assuming they may have gotten the idea when I called them to ask them what the price was to get them installed on rims.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9791 posts
2220 upvotes
Markham
I wouldn't worry too much. A lot of people swap their tires every spring/winter. Your tire wouldn't die quicker by mounted on the rims one more time.

CT just made a mistakes by mounting it on rims, they waste time and effort to mount and unmount it for you, but that's their business.
You go get your tires, inspect it, and takes them home.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27107 posts
13106 upvotes
Ottawa
Craznn wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:43 pm
I didn't order rims from Canadian Tire. I only ordered the tires.

I'm assuming they may have gotten the idea when I called them to ask them what the price was to get them installed on rims.
So they picked out some random set of rims and mounted the tires on them?
I'm assuming they bill includes cost of rims?
Nov 16, 2011
771 posts
472 upvotes
HAMILTON
You did not ask for the wheels and did not ask for them to be installed.

Either they give you the wheels at cost, as you are doing them a favor , and waive any and all other fees including installation fees or they should take the tires off the wheels and have the tires readily available for you to inspect and pick up.

You should also advise them that if tires do not meet your inspection, then you want your money back.

Be firm, do not lose your temper and escalate to the store manager. Do not leave the store unless you either get what you want or are refunded the price of the tires.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2011
21 posts
12 upvotes
Tri-City Area
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:49 pm
So they picked out some random set of rims and mounted the tires on them?
I'm assuming they bill includes cost of rims?
When I asked for the quotation for getting rims + installation from Canadian Tire, they also spec'd out the appropriate rims for my vehicle. The reason why I asked for a quotation was because I wanted to find the best prices in the area first, before choosing a specific place to purchase rims + get my tires mounted + installed. Yes, the total estimate was 800 for rims + installation, so I decided on another location that was cheaper and had better reviews.
luckystrike1 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:49 pm
You did not ask for the wheels and did not ask for them to be installed.

Either they give you the wheels at cost, as you are doing them a favor , and waive any and all other fees including installation fees or they should take the tires off the wheels and have the tires readily available for you to inspect and pick up.

You should also advise them that if tires do not meet your inspection, then you want your money back.

Be firm, do not lose your temper and escalate to the store manager. Do not leave the store unless you either get what you want or are refunded the price of the tires.
Thank you for the advice! I'll do some Google searches to see what I should be inspecting for when I pick up the tires, to make sure everything is up to par