Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 22, 2010
881 posts
74 upvotes

Ordering from Alibaba

Question about ordering from Alibaba...

Let's say I'm ordering small stuff like pens, do I have to pay tariffs on the products if I intend to sell them? Does someone need to clear them through customs or something? Is it only if they decide to flag my shipment?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3772 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Anything from China will require you to pay duties. Duties depend on the cost of the goods. Just an off topic headsuup, Alibaba mainly does bulk orders. You can clear the shipment yourself or have a broker or the shipping company clear it for you.
Aug 19, 2006
980 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
I had to pay duties to UPS. Be carful with Alibaba, make sure you find a reputable seller. I had bad experience with Alibaba and it's almost impossible to do a chargeback
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3772 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
If it's a small package, have them send it through china or hong long post. Dhl charges an arm and a leg to clear your parcel through customs, even if it means sending multiple packages. If this is not an option, consider hiring a customs broker. They charge more reasonable fees to clear the package.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2010
881 posts
74 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2013 5:17 pm
Anything from China will require you to pay duties. Duties depend on the cost of the goods. Just an off topic headsuup, Alibaba mainly does bulk orders. You can clear the shipment yourself or have a broker or the shipping company clear it for you.
How can I order from sites like DealExtreme and get away without paying duties though?
krypton wrote:
Apr 1st, 2013 10:28 pm
I had to pay duties to UPS. Be carful with Alibaba, make sure you find a reputable seller. I had bad experience with Alibaba and it's almost impossible to do a chargeback
Why is it hard to do a chargeback? Is it hard to prove your case given the geographic discrepancy?
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2013 11:15 pm
If it's a small package, have them send it through china or hong long post. Dhl charges an arm and a leg to clear your parcel through customs, even if it means sending multiple packages. If this is not an option, consider hiring a customs broker. They charge more reasonable fees to clear the package.
How can I determine customs charges through DHL? Any idea what it costs through a customs broker?
Apr 5, 2013
6 posts
Be careful with Alibaba. Not only is their email contact system cracked, meaning you will be spammed with a thousand scam offers from bots after contacting a merchant, but they have no consumer protection for foreigners unless you pay for escrow. When I order from there I directly contact the company which usually lists it's outside website and phone number, or I use a throwaway Gmail account and pay through site escrow. As for customs charges you'll have to either contact a customs broker in Canada and ask them or figure it out yourself from the Canada Border Services/Tax website. Fedex, DHL/Loomis and UPS all use in house brokers to clear your stuff at gigantic fees. Google any China->Canada customs broker like clearit.ca or livingston brokers and just ask for a quote, it's free.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3772 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
Crossover wrote:
Apr 1st, 2013 11:18 pm
How can I order from sites like DealExtreme and get away without paying duties though?

In my experience, small items worth a couple of bucks sent by regular air mail, I was never charged for duties. If they ship by courier, most definitely you will be charged duties.

Why is it hard to do a chargeback? Is it hard to prove your case given the geographic discrepancy?

Never had issues before with Alibaba so I can't answer this for you. Best safe bet if you are doing large transactions is to go through escrow service.

How can I determine customs charges through DHL? Any idea what it costs through a customs broker?
Cost is based on value of the goods entering canada and brokers fees. Every broker is different. I highly suggest you clear it yourself. It is easier said then done, but that depends on which entry point your package arrives at. Some of my packages arrived in Windsor so I was not in the mood to drive all the way down there so I hired a broker instead. Hiring your own broker is the way to go if you cannot clear it yourself due to distance issues. In one situation where I ordered a huge amount of uniforms, ups wanted to charge me almost $400 to clear the item. I called a broker near the border and they did the paper work for me for $100 + hst.
× < >