• Dec 25th, 2013 10:24 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 11, 2007
336 posts
32 upvotes

Ordering from Amazon.co.uk - risky?

After much research it's not very clear what shipping company does Amazon UK uses to deliveres to Canada.

Has anyone recently ordered from Amazon.co.uk? Did your order arrvive by Canada Post? Or does it arrive by FedEx, UPS, DHL with the usual set of Brokerage fees?
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
263 upvotes
Kingston
I haven't ordered through amazon, but I found Royal Mail for me cheaper, and faster than Usps from the usa to Canada.

Brokers charges still applies to ups, etc.
Aug 5, 2012
211 posts
34 upvotes
condor11 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 2:38 pm
Seems like it's still not clear how Amazon UK deliveres to Canada.

Has anyone recently ordered from Amazon.co.uk? Did your order arrvive by Canada Post? Or does it arrive by FedEx, UPS, DHL with the usual set of Brokerage fees?
My order from Amazon.co.uk was delivered by Canada Post. The order was less than $20 and there was no brokerage fees.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6188 posts
822 upvotes
I used to buy the occasional book from Amazon.UK and it was always delivered by Canada Post and I never paid anything even though the value of the books could range from $15 to $45. This was a few years ago and I have no recent experiences.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14223 posts
1086 upvotes
As per amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... =201337730
[QUOTE]The Amazon Global Programme offers customers a unique service: duty and tax estimation during checkout and customs clearance on your behalf for certain eligible countries.

When products are sent to the eligible countries using eligible delivery options included in the Amazon Global Programme, an Import Fees Deposit will be estimated and collected for the delivery. With your authorisation, these funds will be used by the carrier or another agent to pay the Import Fees on your behalf (or the recipient's behalf) to the appropriate authorities of the destination country.[/QUOTE]

Just like Amazon.com they calculate the duty, taxes, and brokerage during checkout.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
[OP]
Oct 11, 2007
336 posts
32 upvotes
woof wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 7:14 pm
I used to buy the occasional book from Amazon.UK and it was always delivered by Canada Post and I never paid anything even though the value of the books could range from $15 to $45. This was a few years ago and I have no recent experiences.
I would be curious about recent experience, just in case it changed since then...
[OP]
Oct 11, 2007
336 posts
32 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Dec 25th, 2013 10:10 pm
As per amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome ... =201337730

Just like Amazon.com they calculate the duty, taxes, and brokerage during checkout.
Thanks! The problem is that this "Amazon Global" shipping option itself costs 4 times more than their "Standard" shipping option. The "Standard" option doesn't include Import Fee Deposit.
I am fine if they send the order that arrives by Canada Post and I am charged usual CRA taxes. I just don't want to get a parcel from FedEx or UPS and have to pay their insane brokerage fees, on top of normal CRA taxes.