Food & Drink

Ordering (Iced) Espresso at Starbucks - frowned upon? Also tipping at SB.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2017 4:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes

Ordering (Iced) Espresso at Starbucks - frowned upon? Also tipping at SB.

I read that ordering an iced espresso is frowned upon by some Starbucks employees. I would like to know your guy's opinion. Sometimes I order an iced dopio espresso and just drink it plain with ice, I don't add anything. Some employees can judge you because you could go to the bar and fill it up with milk and sugar and essentially make yourself a cheap iced latte for $2.57 instead of the usual $4 or so. Today I had some tonic water in the car and added it to my espresso and it was quite delicious!
What do you guys think, is it rude to order iced espresso, considering it is a regular item on their menu (on the app)?

EDIT: Do you guys usually tip at Starbucks? Does anyone know if the tip from the app goes to the barrista that made your drink or it is divided among the staff?
Last edited by Thrasher on Jul 14th, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9634 posts
801 upvotes
Why would Starbucks employees care? They aren't profit sharing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes
One of the reasons might be that they need to refill the milk canister more often, I guess.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6060 posts
1041 upvotes
I order iced Americano with extra shots and a couple of special instructions on a daily basis in the summer. Never had any attitude. In fact the baristas seem to take pride in making it perfect.

Always great service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:06 am
I order iced Americano with extra shots and a couple of special instructions on a daily basis in the summer. Never had any attitude. In fact the baristas seem to take pride in making it perfect.

Always great service.
Iced Americano is slightly different, as they add water to the shots. But one could argue that's why iced espresso is cheaper, since there barrista does not need to add water (one less step).
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1390 posts
468 upvotes
no they don't care, if you are really curious just ask the cashier.

I think they are more annoyed by the people that get 15 substitutions and then complains it wasn't made right because they put a little bit too much of one thing

being as you're paying so much for coffee there, I think part of the price is being able to customize anything
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7358 posts
2318 upvotes
Toronto
Let them frown all they want, who cares, big whooopie, life goes on.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 12:16 pm
no they don't care, if you are really curious just ask the cashier.

I think they are more annoyed by the people that get 15 substitutions and then complains it wasn't made right because they put a little bit too much of one thing

being as you're paying so much for coffee there, I think part of the price is being able to customize anything
Good point. Making an iced espresso must be super easy for them compared to some other orders they receive. But even then I find I get inconsistent results. I usually ask for blonde espresso beans and I find they usually give me regular espresso, which tastes a lot more burnt than the blonde one.
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 12:22 pm
Let them frown all they want, who cares, big whooopie, life goes on.
True. But the same could be said about other things as well, for example when not tipping at a restaurant.

BTW: Guys, do you usually tip at Starbucks or no? When they had half price frappuccinos I often tipped 50c or so through the app since these guys were so busy but I find I usually don't tip at SB. What is the usual "expected" practice?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7358 posts
2318 upvotes
Toronto
Good service, I tip usually under 1 buck.
Thrasher wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 1:10 pm
Good point. Making an iced espresso must be super easy for them compared to some other orders they receive. But even then I find I get inconsistent results. I usually ask for blonde espresso beans and I find they usually give me regular espresso, which tastes a lot more burnt than the blonde one.

True. But the same could be said about other things as well, for example when not tipping at a restaurant.

BTW: Guys, do you usually tip at Starbucks or no? When they had half price frappuccinos I often tipped 50c or so through the app since these guys were so busy but I find I usually don't tip at SB. What is the usual "expected" practice?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3634 posts
410 upvotes
Aurora
Whoa, I'm supposed to tip at Starbucks? I've never done that in my life. But then, I'm extremely easy as I only get a tall dark roast brewed coffee.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:34 pm
Whoa, I'm supposed to tip at Starbucks? I've never done that in my life. But then, I'm extremely easy as I only get a tall dark roast brewed coffee.
The only reason why I'm thinking about it is, because when I get coffee at one of the independent 3rd wave coffee shops, I almost always tip 50c-$1 since it comes up on the debit machine. Considering Starbucks is a similar service and there is this option in the app, I hesitate but I don't really feel obligated, since SB does their drinks in high volume and never with latte art. Also the quality of the drink and the drink itself varies from time to time. But I agree, when the service is top-notch and/or they go above and beyond their duties, I usually tip at SB.

Regarding only getting drip coffee at SB, I would not bother tipping unless they brew a new batch especially for you before closing or do a pour-over for the price of a drip.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1839 posts
312 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 4:38 pm
Its also frowned upon to order a medium coffee.

Its a grande. Hey you italian? No? Medium it is.
Funny, since there are no Starbucks in Italy. :-)
Apr 12, 2005
690 posts
31 upvotes
DiceMan wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 3:34 pm
If I use the app and order reg coffee . NO

If no app and reg coffee, usually throw the extra change in the tip bucket.

Other more involved drinks, kinda depends
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10237 posts
1454 upvotes
Ottawa
Thrasher wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 6:09 pm
Funny, since there are no Starbucks in Italy. :-)
They are correcting that this year