Tags:
None
Feb 19, 2011
125 posts
10 upvotes
Depends on if your seller marked the item as a gift or not:

Gifts under $60 are exempt
Products/Items under $20 are exempt

^ the first one is whether Customs will open your package or not. I had an order mailed from the US marked as $60 and a gift but was opened by them --> evaluated a price --> I had to pay customs which was 18% + any additional postage fees ($5?)

Although my packages don't tend to be open coming from Asia (Korea/Hong Kong- Japan is a different story) or if it's shipped with EMS.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1980 posts
143 upvotes
theguru wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 8:51 pm
Many US states don't have State taxes and have very low sales taxes. In this pathetic country, we have oppressive sales taxes AND Federal Taxes. Canadian taxpayer sheep love to relinquish their wallets just so they can run to the doctor with a runny nose 10X/week.

You are right ON!!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2164 posts
1174 upvotes
Prince George
theguru wrote:
Feb 21st, 2011 8:51 pm
Many US states don't have State taxes and have very low sales taxes. In this pathetic country, we have oppressive sales taxes AND Federal Taxes. Canadian taxpayer sheep love to relinquish their wallets just so they can run to the doctor with a runny nose 10X/week.

P.S. I get tons of things shipped here as "gifts"... if in doubt, have it sent to a place like US ADDRESS in Niagara Falls and then drive it over.. Practice this.. "Anything to declare?"... "Just $20 in groceries"... Only sheep pay HST.
1. The US is bankrupt. I sure wouldn't want to be living there right now. The future looks truly bleak. They may have been better off with a few more taxes and a little less deficit, but it's too late now.

2. I hope you get caught and body cavity searched at the border. Your abuse of the system makes it that much harder for the rest of us. It's much better to just declare everything honestly. In my experience if it's under $100 they just wave you through anyway.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
So Cheaper than Cheap.. my actions to keep my hard-earned $ out of the hands of the greedy Cdn givernment are "hurting you"? Perhaps you should look to the BILLIONS of $ wasted via healthcare abuse, welfare abuse and immigration fraud before you chase people like me down for the $10 I saved by being creative.

Good ole Canadians..chasing pinhole leaks while the ship is hemorrhaging water.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16232 posts
8565 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
theguru wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 6:18 am
Perhaps you should look to the BILLIONS of $ wasted via healthcare abuse, welfare abuse and immigration fraud
Maybe you should pass your profound insights to Steve and Dimitri :idea:

If the solution is so simple then if they hurry up and do it now, we should all see the results by the next election, and your boy Steve can have that majority he so desperately craves :rolleyes:

P.S. Steve could save us even more by not pissing away $20B+ on F-35s, $10B on refurbishing the Parliament buildings, and speaking of welfare abuse, $6B+ in corporate welfare tax cuts, who knows how many $billions to build prisons to house perpetrators of Stock's "unreported crimes", etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 8:28 am
Maybe you should pass your profound insights to Steve and Dimitri :idea:

If the solution is so simple then if they hurry up and do it now, we should all see the results by the next election, and your boy Steve can have that majority he so desperately craves :rolleyes:

P.S. Steve could save us even more by not pissing away $20B+ on F-35s, $10B on refurbishing the Parliament buildings, and speaking of welfare abuse, $6B+ in corporate welfare tax cuts, who knows how many $billions to build prisons to house perpetrators of Stock's "unreported crimes", etc.

Lol. Don't worry Iggy will lead you well from his office at Harvard. Just keep surrendering your wallet and your rights to the red plague.
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
cheaper_than_cheap wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2011 3:53 pm
1. The US is bankrupt. I sure wouldn't want to be living there right now. The future looks truly bleak. They may have been better off with a few more taxes and a little less deficit, but it's too late now.

You think Canda wouldn't go down with them? The Countries are so intertwined that it would be impossible to not pulling the others "down" with them.
They were bankrupt more than 10years ago already... logically a reform should've happened and it did! Now you just have to learn how the System works to figure that the "bankrupt" comes when it is needed not when it should come. Money or better legal tender is made on a promise to deliver whatever type of value and as long as the majority "trusts" the system it will work. Once people start to get into a barter system it will collapse but there is no necessity for that, so that won't happen anytime soon.

Taxes are funny to GST Goods and Services Tax: for Goods and Services not used or aquired in Canada = Highway robery
PST Provincial Sales Tax for Sales not done in Province or country = Highway robbery
HST = double that since it does both holdups at once ...
Duty understandable for a product manufactured in Canada as well to protect domestic manufacturers but for items not produced in Canada? what's there to "protect"?

Economics such a fun field :)
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16232 posts
8565 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pompoco wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 8:48 am
Taxes are funny to GST Goods and Services Tax: for Goods and Services not used or aquired in Canada = Highway robery
PST Provincial Sales Tax for Sales not done in Province or country = Highway robbery
HST = double that since it does both holdups at once ...
Duty understandable for a product manufactured in Canada as well to protect domestic manufacturers but for items not produced in Canada? what's there to "protect"?
So duty is understandable because it protects Canadian companies from foreign competition, but charging HST on cross-province transactions isn't understandable even though it protects companies in the buyer's province from being undercut by companies in another?

Perhaps it's understandable why your argument isn't so understandable ;)
Economics such a fun field :)
Especially when you put politicians in charge of economy-related portfolios who think they can repeal economic laws the way they can with the criminal code.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
bylo wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 9:17 am
So duty is understandable because it protects Canadian companies from foreign competition, but charging HST on cross-province transactions isn't understandable even though it protects companies in the buyer's province from being undercut by companies in another? ...
Since when is HST applied Cross-Province?
HST is applied in the province of purchase if HST is applicable there and the retailer has a presence in that province. Stupid but that's how the moneygrab works....
IE: You live in ON order something from FS which is sent and sold in ON you pay HST. You order something from a retailer in AB which is present in ON also, you pay HST. You order something from a retailer in AB, which has only a presence in AB, you pay GST only.
I live in MB buy something from a retailer in ON which has a presence in MB or from a local retailer, I pay GST+PST. I order something from a retailer in ON which has no presence in MB I pay GST only.

Some people think you're supposed to remit the "PST" part yourself if you don't get charged but that is not true, since there is no base on which the PST part would be charged...
Think about it.

Another part on Duty... Duty is only supposed to be applied on Items which are manufactured/produced in canada as well but not all items on which duties apply are also produced in canada... first thing that comes to mind are TVs (5% methinks) does anybody know of a canadian tv manufacturer?
Disclaimer: I could be totally wrong on the TV manufacturing part since I didn't search much but that's only an example anyways... ;)

Yes, it is a fun field! Not logical, not (really) legal, not just and the worst; not really much you can do about it. ;)
--- <3

:cry: Personally, I am just scared of Idiocracy turning from a funny movie into a prophecy. :confused:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16232 posts
8565 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pompoco wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 1:16 pm
Since when is HST applied Cross-Province?
It happens when both provinces participate in the HST. A year ago I could buy stuff online from someone in BC and pay only GST because I'm in ON. Now they charge the full HST.

(Actually I always owed PST in ON on out-of-province purchases even before the HST but in practice ON had no way to collect it from me. Now they do, via HST. The same applied with importing goods from outside Canada. You'd pay Canada Customs any duty plus GST. The onus was then on you to send PST to ON. Of course, few people did.)
Duty is only supposed to be applied on Items which are manufactured/produced in canada as well but not all items on which duties apply are also produced in canada... first thing that comes to mind are TVs (5% methinks) does anybody know of a canadian tv manufacturer?
Correct, both about the original purpose of duties and the lack of TV manufacturers in Canada. (There may still be someone in Canada that makes TVs for specialized markets, but the days of mass-production in Canada of TVs for consumers is long gone.)

Of course the rationale for duties no longer applies to a lot of goods on which it continues to be applied and a lot of stuff that competes with Canadian manufacturers enters Canada duty-free under tax treaties like NAFTA. But I was trying to show the inconsistency in another poster's argument, not claim that the duty system is right or fair.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 21, 2009
949 posts
109 upvotes
Winnipeg
bylo wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 1:53 pm
It happens when both provinces participate in the HST. A year ago I could buy stuff online from someone in BC and pay only GST because I'm in ON. Now they charge the full HST.

(Actually I always owed PST in ON on out-of-province purchases even before the HST but in practice ON had no way to collect it from me. Now they do, via HST. The same applied with importing goods from outside Canada. You'd pay Canada Customs any duty plus GST. The onus was then on you to send PST to ON. Of course, few people did.)

I thought they kicked HST in BC shortly after "release", hmm that sucks. Unrightful since there was no sale in ON which would require the PST part of the HST but understandable since HST is handled federaly. Another way to "suck the buck" (out of you pocket).

You never owned any PST in ON for out of province purchases since this is the part where the provincial sales come into play, which obviously never happened...

The circumvent is now that they (have to) charge HST if there is a presence of the retailer in the destination province, even if it's only an office.
Again unjust and kind of illegal but who's gonna challenge the federal government on this?
--- <3