Personal Finance

Ordering new cheques from the bank, what to expect?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2018 12:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1782 posts
304 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

Ordering new cheques from the bank, what to expect?

I had my chequing account for some time now. When I opened it, I had ordered a booklet of cheques. After all the years past, I am coming to the end of my cheque book, down to the last 4 or 5 cheques before it's gone. I am in the process of ordering a NEW booklet from my bank. You know how the cheques are numbered 01, 02, 03, etc and you can see on your statement which cheque number was cashed and when? well when I get the new booklet, can I have it continue at 101, 102, 103, etc, or will it start over at 01, 02, 03, 04, etc? The reason I ask is I use the number to track payments I made to certain people, I do not want to have a cheque number show up twice in my statement that came from different cheque books for example. anything I can do about that? or is it beyond my control?
Hi
10 replies
Jul 28, 2012
901 posts
287 upvotes
Montreal
From experience with a Big 5 bank that processed cheque orders through D+H: yes, you can choose the starting number for your cheque order. In some cases, and if your previous cheque order was made only a couple of years ago, the default starting number will be the continuation of your previous order.

In case you missed it, and if cheque orders aren't free with your bank account, you can also order cheques from another company called ASAP Cheques: https://www.asap-cheques.com/
I tried them and not only they are much cheaper than the ones offered by the banks, but the quality is comparable. (And again, you can choose the starting number.)
Last edited by airodyssey on Sep 13th, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4139 posts
989 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:11 pm
I had my chequing account for some time now. When I opened it, I had ordered a booklet of cheques. After all the years past, I am coming to the end of my cheque book, down to the last 4 or 5 cheques before it's gone. I am in the process of ordering a NEW booklet from my bank. You know how the cheques are numbered 01, 02, 03, etc and you can see on your statement which cheque number was cashed and when? well when I get the new booklet, can I have it continue at 101, 102, 103, etc, or will it start over at 01, 02, 03, 04, etc? The reason I ask is I use the number to track payments I made to certain people, I do not want to have a cheque number show up twice in my statement that came from different cheque books for example. anything I can do about that? or is it beyond my control?
With TD at least, you can tell them what number you want them to start.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1782 posts
304 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Ok that is good. Yeah I would like to start at the number I left off at.
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
1393 posts
522 upvotes
Raincouver
By the way why would you order cheque through bank? if it's free through your bank ok, if not free then asap cheques ya know.

back to your original question, it'd continue in sequence by default. A big reason for me to use Simplii Financial is for their free cheque, I barely write cheque but I don't wanna pay. For the next 10 years I don't even know if my cheques still valid hahaha
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1782 posts
304 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I dunno, I always thought that was the place to get them cus you know, they're the BANK and they have the account info. I did not know you could get cheques from a third party, and thought that because of fraud it was not allowed? so whats to stop me from making a cheque with my employers account number to pay me over and over? who knows
Hi
Feb 8, 2018
76 posts
21 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 2:53 pm
I dunno, I always thought that was the place to get them cus you know, they're the BANK and they have the account info. I did not know you could get cheques from a third party, and thought that because of fraud it was not allowed? so whats to stop me from making a cheque with my employers account number to pay me over and over? who knows
you can write cheque with your employers account number, you will not get money, thats it.

Strictly speaking you can write cheque on a toilet paper with your account number, routing and institutional info and this still will be considering as a valid cheque. You can print your own cheque, if memory serves me right, MS Money has this feature.
Cheque itself is not protected in any way, its just a funny looking piece of paper.
Jul 28, 2012
901 posts
287 upvotes
Montreal
GoodFellaz wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 2:53 pm
Companies like ASAP Cheques use several ways to verify your identity and ensure that your order is legit. For example they may ask you to email or fax a copy of one of your void cheques.
Jan 31, 2008
129 posts
1 upvote
Barrie
I have ordered business cheques from ASAP. 200 + binder was the cost of 100 personal cheques from D+H if I recall correctly. (Prices have likely gone up since then.) I think I had to send them our version of the void cheque form that I got from Meridian Credit Union when we opened our account. We've never ordered cheques through the credit union.
Feb 1, 2012
858 posts
835 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
+1 for ASAP Cheques. I have used them on two different accounts with no problems.
Invest your time actively and your money passively.
Nov 8, 2017
634 posts
262 upvotes
Order your own cheque, then that way you can have an image you like put on each cheque
Images
  • Goatse-2-450x270.jpg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)