None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2004
1251 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa

Organic Foods

First off, I'm not knocking organic foods in this posting, just wanted people to start thinking a little.

I've recently been exposed to more and more people who are on the Organic foods wagon. I would ask them why and they answer that they didn't want chemicals in their food.

I would laugh because just by that answer, I know they have no idea what Organic foods mean.

First: In Canada, there are no regulations or laws stating what is and what is not organic. Organic foods are determined by Associations groups who have their own standards. It doesn't take much for one to figure out how these associations keep in business... they are paid or supported by the same companies that they deem is producing "organic" foods.

Check the Canada Food and Drugs Act and Regulations and you will see that there are no laws governing this.

Second: Organic does not mean "0" pesticides. The practice of producing organic foods is to minimize the use of pesticides through other self-sustaining/env friendly practices. But this doesn't mean that animals don't get antibiotics and produce don't get sprayed.

Third: trying to be environmentally friendly, they re-use or recycle everything possible. So to promote healthy growth, lots of recycled manure is used to enrich the soil..... this will expose you to a greater chance of e. coli poisoning. This will kill you faster than any cancer which will be discovered many years later.

Just something to think about...

I'll rant about my other beef, bottled water later. ;)
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9359 posts
511 upvotes
Markham
I also agree with you about organic food.

The fact that we have no regulation may lead to organic food that isn't exactly "organic". But on the other hand, just because there is no regulation doesn't mean that companies could set their own standards, to meet the needs of their customers.

If I have my facts correct, Canada is also one of the leaders in genetically-modified/engineered food, putting us right on the opposite of the European Union. The government even openly supports it.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4486 posts
159 upvotes
GTA
this is driven by consumer demands.. you should all know.. customers want the best value/price combo. Producers/Corporations are doing that by creating GMO veggies/Meat. When was the last time you saw an ugly carrot or apple in your grocery store? They are all uniform and selling for the low price of .99lb.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
ferkel wrote:When was the last time you saw an ugly carrot or apple in your grocery store?
Food Basics! :twisted:

I don't have problem with organic food, standard protocol or not. But the premium they charge is just insane! Yet people fall for it because "it sounds/looks good, and natural". My beef is that people joins the bandwagon without even knowing all the facts. They are in because "someone says its good, it's natural, it's healthy etc". Some say they taste better. Maybe so... I've had organic vegetables, eggs and milk before. I'm no expert so maybe it's just me. Tastes pretty much the same to me.

That said, I am not for buying organic food. I don't have anything against people buying it either as long as they know what they really are doing with the facts straight.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6273 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
Not sure if this is an European or Asian thing. But I have many new immigrant friends who like to grow their own vegetables/fruits in the backyard. From the simplest tomato plants to grapes to winter melons, the list goes on and on.

I know for sure that they don't use pesticides or even chemical fertilizers on these plants. They only use natural fertilizers. And the fruits/veggies do taste better. May be it's because the produce is picked when ripe instead picked way before ripening. May be it's because the produce is picked only hours before it being served. But these organic foods taste way better than the supermarket stuff.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4486 posts
159 upvotes
GTA
eelfliw wrote:I know for sure that they don't use pesticides or even chemical fertilizers on these plants. They only use natural fertilizers. And the fruits/veggies do taste better.
Are they using their own urine and feces as fertilizers? JK.. well... a lot of ppl actually do that..
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
5 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
ferkel wrote:Are they using their own urine and feces as fertilizers? JK.. well... a lot of ppl actually do that..
I don't think human urine and feces are that nutritious compared to cow/sheep manure. In doing so they are not helping the plants. :D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6273 posts
66 upvotes
Etobicoke
ferkel wrote:Are they using their own urine and feces as fertilizers? JK.. well... a lot of ppl actually do that..
I don't know if all of them use their own fecal matter. Not a good question to bring up at the dinner table.... :cheesygri Only one family I know for sure use their own because there's a washroom in the garden shed..... But they all tell me no chemical fertilizers or pesticides are added. One can easily see that some veg leafs have holes on it from the bugs.