• Jun 26th, 2016 7:34 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 18, 2006
249 posts
47 upvotes

Organizing / Storing Photo Gear

Hi Guys,

As my passion and collection of gear grows, I am running into issues in properly storing and organizing all my gear (Lenses, stands, tripods, modifiers...etc)

Any ideas or approaches people would like to share on how they are managing?

Thanks!
P.
Competition should only be used to help pull yourself up, not to push others down.

Flickr Stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37742548@N02/
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
One of the best things I purchase was a mechanics tool chest with the sliding drawers and the casters. The smaller accessories go into the smaller top drawers and the lenses and such go into the larger bottom drawers. The only thing that won't go into those drawers are the really BIG lenses like my 300 f/2.8 and the 400 f/3.5.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
I have a bookshelf cabinet with a set of doors to keep the dust away. The top half of the doors is glass to display or for easier localing the bodies and lens. The bottom half is paneled so good for hidding the rest of the gears.

Not my photo but to give you and idea, it is nice to have everything in one place.

The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Apr 18, 2006
249 posts
47 upvotes
I like the Costco shelving idea, but I know with big shelving like that my wife would be tempted to store her own stuff on there too...

I may need to make some signs stating 'Photo Gear Only" :)
Competition should only be used to help pull yourself up, not to push others down.

Flickr Stream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/37742548@N02/
Aug 12, 2012
878 posts
437 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pulse24 wrote: I like the Costco shelving idea, but I know with big shelving like that my wife would be tempted to store her own stuff on there too...

I may need to make some signs stating 'Photo Gear Only" :)
Beware the shelves! I have 2 of the Costco shelves that I put up to hold my photo gear. Within a couple of days the arts & craft supplies, gift bags, and tissue paper started moving in. I’d go out for a photo gig and come back to find other new things had moved in to the gaps left by the gear I was using. Now I’m down to 1 shelf for photo gear.

If you need 2 shelves for your gear, buy 4.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
You can get the metal mastercraft shelves from CT.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2087 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
Saw this on another forum, thought it is a neat DIY idea: