Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2014
1160 posts
726 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cayouche wrote: +1
Or worst case, I'm sure you'll be able to find it at the airport.
not really, xiaomi doesn't have retail store, yet you probably will find knockoff at the airport.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
bylo wrote: Mi Bands have only a few LEDs. They don't have a screen or other way to display numbers.....

When my Mi 1S band arrives I intend to use it with an older smartphone that runs Android 4.4 and has only BT 3.0. This will serve as a dedicated display on my treadmill. I'll let you know how that works.
No, you absolutely need bt4.0 to talk to the miband. I tried using my old Y300(plan was to use it with sideloaded apps as a running companion) with the original band and the app outright tells you it will not work without bt 4.0 that also has LE(low energy. I think thats part of the 4.0 spec, but it specifically mentions it in the error, so maybe not). You can try it now without the band if youd like... Before it even lets you try to find the band, the app stops you to say your phone is not compatible.
Mar 29, 2004
178 posts
13 upvotes
EZSAVE wrote: not really, xiaomi doesn't have retail store, yet you probably will find knockoff at the airport.
I spent few days in SH going around the electronics areas but wasn't able to find a piston 3s. Doesn't seem this brand is very popular in SH, most people just buy Apple stuff it seems like...i know there is retail store in HK though.

I ended up ordering the piston 3 from one of these sites and ship back to Canada...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
LetsGoBJs wrote: i'm having the exact same issue... never had a problem in the last year but my most recent order never arrived. Not a big deal since it was $5USD worth of stuff... wonder if its just a coincidence
Had the exact same problem -- dozens of orders over the years from ******** arrived without issue but 3 from early august have never arrived. Orders from September onwards are already here.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4927 posts
17525 upvotes
TORONTO
tkl wrote: Go to official Mi store. It's quite busy there. I had friends there a few weeks ago.
Most official Mi stores didn't carry this.

He can also try to get his hotel reception to order it online at jd.com and it gets delivered to him for the official SRP.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Scott86 wrote: No, you absolutely need bt4.0 to talk to the miband.
OK thanks. So I won't be able to use the old Nexus phone I have sitting on the shelf.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Found a hands-on video for the 1s:

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wearysky wrote: Found a hands-on video for the 1s
Thanks. And the price at GeekBuying is now US$29.99, which is twice the price of the non-HR version.

Added: Another video with more info, features, screens, etc:

It didn't take long for someone to do a tear down:

veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
bylo wrote: Thanks. And the price at GeekBuying is now US$29.99, which is twice the price of the non-HR version.
I'm wondering if some of the Chinese sites are upping their prices in anticipation of a Black Friday sale, the way that AliExpress sellers did before 11.11?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
cayouche wrote: Anyone got theirs yet?
The only way anybody is going to get one this fast is if they ship via DHL (and risk brokerage+HST charges, which will likely be damn near the cost of the band in the first place, when it arrives). I went surface shipping, mine is coming via PostNL. Just checked the tracking now, and here's the latest status (presumably time is in NL time):
2015-11-19 15:36
The item is at the handover point from freight carrier to PostNL
That's actually pretty damn quick, as it was only picked up by PostNL on the 16th. Now it's just waiting for clearance in NL, and then shipping to Canada, and then clearance in Canada. If I'm lucky, I might even get it next week.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wearysky wrote: That's actually pretty damn quick, as it was only picked up by PostNL on the 16th. Now it's just waiting for clearance in NL, and then shipping to Canada, and then clearance in Canada. If I'm lucky, I might even get it next week.
Who did you order from? The new 1S model still shows "pre-sale" or "pre-order" on the sites I've checked. I ordered from ******** well over a week ago. My status still shows "Payment Authorized."

From the GB QA, "This is a pre-sale item which will be shipped after Dec 8. Ships within 4-10 business days [after Dec. 8]."
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 15, 2009
201 posts
51 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Last time i bought Mi Band without heart monitor, i left it on desk without charging, as the silicone wrist strap broke after 4 months of use.
When the new wrist strap arrived (thanks to long wait for ship it from hongkong) and tried to charge the Mi band i did not charged and thats the end of my Mi band.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
bylo wrote: Who did you order from? The new 1S model still shows "pre-sale" or "pre-order" on the sites I've checked. I ordered from ******** well over a week ago. My status still shows "Payment Authorized."
One of the benefits of being a reviewer... I sometimes get early access to devices before they actually offer them for sale to the general public :)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wearysky wrote: One of the benefits of being a reviewer.
Cool! I look forward (and with envy) to your review.
veni, vidi, Visa
Nov 21, 2012
712 posts
591 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: I'm wondering if some of the Chinese sites are upping their prices in anticipation of a Black Friday sale, the way that AliExpress sellers did before 11.11?
You are probably right about them doing this. I expect the price to drop to $24.99 range next week.

I cancelled my pre-order with Everbuying even though I got a good price because I heard so many RFDers complain about ********/Everbuying as of late. Also, they were supposed to ship around 11/30, but now it's pushed back to 12/8 with most of these Chinese online stores.

I'm just going to wait and see as the 12/8 date approaches.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I don't know how this compares to the Xiaomi in quality, but it's more sophisticated, still a decent price compared to other watch alternatives and seems to be available now: Makibes F68 Smart Sports Watch IP67 Waterproof Healthy Bracelet Parameter Heart Rate Sleep Monitor IOS Android Smart Wristband - Black for US$33.21 from GeekBuying.

[Added: Slightly cheaper F68 Smart Sports Watch-BLACK for US$32.21 from ******** and "Ships within 3-5 business days" (if you can believe them.) And slightly cheaper still F68 Heart Rate Track Smart Bluetooth Watch for Sports for US$31.99 from EverBuying.]

My main interest is the HR monitor. It seems similar (at least in technology) to the Xiaomi and even the Apple Watch. CA$44 seems reasonable compared to something like Polar or Garmin. Tempting. And with any luck it might get here for Christmas.

Anyone have comments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2HdFR0XPrM
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
bylo wrote: Makibes F68...

My main interest is the HR monitor. It seems similar (at least in technology) to the Xiaomi and even the Apple Watch. CA$44 seems reasonable compared to something like Polar or Garmin. Tempting. And with any luck it might get here for Christmas.

Anyone have comments?
I think you're probably unlikely to get the same battery life on this as you will with the Xiaomi. And the phone app to go with it will likely be pretty crap as well. But I guess it depends what you need - if you want to be able to see your HR realtime on the watchface while you work out, and don't care about 24/7 monitoring to your phone, it's probably a better option... But I don't know your situation.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1753 posts
1902 upvotes
bylo wrote:
My main interest is the HR monitor.
If that's true, I'd recommend looking up the technology behind how these gadgets do HR. It's supposed to be fairly unaccurate(most things i read say plus or minus 10%) Just as long as you know it's not super accurate. Nothing like polar watches/straps.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10174 posts
8301 upvotes
Toronto
bhush_18 wrote: Last time i bought Mi Band without heart monitor, i left it on desk without charging, as the silicone wrist strap broke after 4 months of use.
When the new wrist strap arrived (thanks to long wait for ship it from hongkong) and tried to charge the Mi band i did not charged and thats the end of my Mi band.
My strap also broke - after 6 months use. When I saw the crack in rubber, I charged it up, placed it into the band, put paper on both sides to cover the device, then wrapped it tightly with electrical tape. This allowed me to keep wearing it while I waited the month or so for a replacement band (+ an extra one) to arrive that I bought on eBay.

Last week, the bands were finally delivered. Removed the electrical tape (paper was used to keep sticky tape off device itself), charged, and deployed new band. No problems syncing whilst wrapped in electrical tape. During this time, I did not use it for extra features, such as alarms or calls,mostly because I did not want to UN wrap and rewrap the electrical tape (for recharging)

MacGyver would be proud....

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)