Pets

Orijen might end up being one of the worst pet food makers!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2017 9:54 am
11 replies
Apr 25, 2011
608 posts
207 upvotes
British Columbia
"Animals can be more tolerant to many contaminants"

"Contaminates vary because there's different ingredients"

"These substances can be naturally occuring and may be found in human foods, and each brand had products with much better results"

"The FDA said relying on the acceptable levels of a substance in drinking water for humans is not a sound approach to determining acceptable levels of that substance in foods for dogs and cats, noting the size difference, lifespans and physiology of pets and that humans drink more water"

Also the company is looking to get something out of this by making a randomized fee based testing "seal of approval" for pet foods...

I haven't overly looked into this but brands like Orijen and their flavor "Six Fish" have more fish in them than most pet foods. That's why you pay more for them, they aren't made up with a bunch of filler items like peas. Naturally this means they also have higher values. This is one reason why I would try to avoid feeding a solid diet of fish based protein to pets. I notice the high end foods with 5 stars on this site are mostly chicken and turkey based.

Basically I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, which is a rotation of several brands and flavors manufacted from different processing plants. Very little of what I feed is fish based. I will continue to feed Orijen, but I do not feed their fish version.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2013
11 posts
6 upvotes
Suit yourself but knowing they have such a high rate of toxins in their food, sure it might be the fish brands but that doesnt make me feel much better abotu the rest of their offerings, that said, I didnt post it to play games, as long as people have the info, thats whats important
Apr 25, 2011
608 posts
207 upvotes
British Columbia
Did you look at other brands? Most brands with high ratings had food with low ratings. No need to single out Orijen.

The website even says:
Brands can easily have one product on the top ten list and another receive a one star rating. There is no list of ‘great brands’ that are reliably free of toxins across the board.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2013
11 posts
6 upvotes
Being that Orijen is the most expensive, most hyped around and had some of the lowest ratings, not even one line showed in the top recommended brands.

I think it important for the the whole picture
Apr 25, 2011
608 posts
207 upvotes
British Columbia
Orijen likely isn't in the top 10 because all of their foods have some fish and they also all have a very high meat content and meat is where the majority of contaminants are coming from. But it is hard to say why for sure as the site does not breakdown the star system nor are overly forthcoming about what they found in the foods. It is impossible to look at the "big picture" when data is not provided.

The top 10 is cluttered with freeze-dried raw products. In my opinion, they should not be listed with kibble. It is not made the same way nor priced the same.

Here's an interesting AMA on Reddit:
We are the Clean Label Project, a nonprofit that identified dangerous contaminants present in popular pet foods. Ask us anything!
Jul 1, 2017
43 posts
2 upvotes
how are such contaminants getting into the food chain in the first place ?
they boast about using such high quality meats - but no clean farms could possibly produce cows/chickens/sheep with such a high contaminant rate.
Lead and cadmium don't just accidentally enter the food system, or can they be accidentally added into the processing within the factory ?
Aug 31, 2009
215 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
if you are so worried about contaminants, feed your fur babies raw meat.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1544 posts
161 upvotes
Calgary
I spent the last 3 hours doing research on this organization and I can safely say that based on everything I've read, this entire cleanlabelproject organization looks like a joke. I put absolutely zero faith in the results and I'm going to continue feeding my dog Orijen Original. I appreciate the OP raising awareness to this, but it's a total facade.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2005
1654 posts
600 upvotes
I used to trust Champion food a lot, but after they changed their formula for Acana Pacifica which I used to feed my dog, I found out the moisture lever went up, the main ingredient changed to cheap fish, lots different than before (worse), so I stop to use this brand.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4457 posts
773 upvotes
Mississauga
raccoon wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:11 am
I used to trust Champion food a lot, but after they changed their formula for Acana Pacifica which I used to feed my dog, I found out the moisture lever went up, the main ingredient changed to cheap fish, lots different than before (worse), so I stop to use this brand.
They switched from Salmon to Pilchard because it's has more consistent, stable, and balanced Omega 3/6 ratios. I'm not disputing that the fish is cheaper than salmon though. Also, there's more moisture in the new ingredient because they are now using 50% fresh/raw fish compared to 35% previously. But you'll also notice they are now a 70/30 ratio of meat ingredients/fruits & vegetables, whereas before, it was 60/40.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4705 posts
50 upvotes
Local
I've been feeding my dog orijen regional red for a few years now. It's really hard to know what my dog likes. The only way I can do that is by buying two different bags and putting a bowl of each and seeing which one he eats. But my dog doesn't eat much dog food. More treats and people food too. I feel bad for dogs that aren't allowed to eat people food. Because dog food was only manufactured for our convenience. So I am skeptical if it's really good or not.