• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 1:06 pm
[OP]
Jul 19, 2016
145 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario

Orlando in mid April

Will be heading to Orlando for a week mid April.
I know Disney is the obvious place to be..... however it's my first time, so not sure which parks should we even go to that is good for a 4 year old Daughter?
She is into Paw patrol, Cinderella, Mickey/Minnie.
We would likely also hit animal kingdom.

My questions are..............
- Is Animal Kingdom a part of the Disney world parks? Just wondering whats the best way to buy tickets and go each day. Not sure if I want to buy a 3-4 day pass since we can never be sure what a kids mood will be while we are there :)
- Is Universal Studio worthwhile for a kid this young?
- What other fun things are there to do? I'm sure wife would like a day of outlet shopping too :)

Thanks for the suggestions!
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8302 posts
5745 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sounds like you need a Disney primer...
Start here for basic info on WDW
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA ... s_gmap_421

At that age, most of your time is going to be spent in Magic Kingdom

Animal Kingdom & Epcot are both great
Just more geared to older kids / adults

Staying onsite at Disney has its advantages
(Early Admission - Fast Pass Advance Bookings - Character Events etc)
But it is pretty expensive

We’ve done both
Staying at the resort ... and staying offsite
Elsewhere in Orlando or nearby Kissimmee
Everything from hotels to condos or house rentals
All are great for their own reasons
Just need to rent a car to get around
Which is very easy to do at the Orlando Airport

Seaworld is a hit with young kids
Far more than Universal
They love the animals
And how accessible they can be
See Animal Experiences on the website
https://seaworld.com/orlando/?utm_sourc ... paign=YEXT

There is also the Kennedy Space Centre
https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com
Although probably better for bigger kids
(Although our youngest was 3 the first time we went)

And out there on the coast (1 hour away)
You also have nearby Cocoa Beach
And farther afield... although worth the trip Daytona
Where you can drive your car on the beach ... that’s always fun

Orlando is jammed packed with stuff for families
Like Mini Golf, and Theme Restaurants with Dinner Shows etc

And yes there is also a fair bit Outlet Shopping
In addition to regular Malls & Big Box Stores
TONS to do in this part of Florida
Probably why so many of us find ourselves going back time & time again

Orlando Tourism = https://www.visitorlando.com
TripAdvisor = https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g345 ... tions.html
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8076 posts
2383 upvotes
Toronto
For 4 year old girl the way you described, Magic Kingdom. MK is huge. There is a train that goes around, if you like to take that for some of the stops. But there is still a lot of walking. For rides, she'll be restricted to the kids section (still big).

You don't need to worry about trying to get in early and get out late, to maximize the hours for the day. She'll be tired and fall asleep as the day wear on. So be prepared with a stroller. When she's asleep, you and your wife can take turns looking after the kid and going on adult rides if that's what you like.

Universal is better for slightly older kids.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2171 posts
554 upvotes
sunstar1980 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2019 11:57 am
Will be heading to Orlando for a week mid April.
I know Disney is the obvious place to be..... however it's my first time, so not sure which parks should we even go to that is good for a 4 year old Daughter?
She is into Paw patrol, Cinderella, Mickey/Minnie.
We would likely also hit animal kingdom.

My questions are..............
- Is Animal Kingdom a part of the Disney world parks? Just wondering whats the best way to buy tickets and go each day. Not sure if I want to buy a 3-4 day pass since we can never be sure what a kids mood will be while we are there :)
- Is Universal Studio worthwhile for a kid this young?
- What other fun things are there to do? I'm sure wife would like a day of outlet shopping too :)

Thanks for the suggestions!
Search over on Disboards for all things related to Disney.
Nov 11, 2011
335 posts
413 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
-I think the Universal Parks are not going to appeal to your 4 year old.

-The Disney Parks are very expensive however there is a Canadian Resident discount ticket right now but it is for a minimum of 4 days. Animal Kingdom is one of the 4 Disney parks that make up Walt Disney World in Orlando

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA ... gMEALw_wcB

-There is a shopping area with places to eat and many specialty stores called Disney Springs right in the area of the parks. This is one way to get a touch of Disney without having to actually go into the parks.

-Another idea is to do a character dining meal like "Chef Mickeys" at the Contemporary Resort. The meal is a buffet with a childrens section but Disney characters come out and visit with the guests as they eat. I think it is Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald at this place. There are others but most are in the parks. I think the Hilton Disney Springs does one on Sundays as well

-I would consider Busch Gardens in Tampa. It is relatively inexpensive compared to Disney and about an hours drive from Orlando

-Just dont go to Disney at Easter, it will be too crowded to have fun for a first time visit
[OP]
Jul 19, 2016
145 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
Is Seaworld really worth it for a 4 year old since I notice there are a lot of rides that are for older kids?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27183 posts
13168 upvotes
Ottawa
sunstar1980 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 10:13 am
Is Seaworld really worth it for a 4 year old since I notice there are a lot of rides that are for older kids?
There's a section of kiddie rides near the aquarium.
[OP]
Jul 19, 2016
145 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 4:11 pm
There's a section of kiddie rides near the aquarium.
So you would say it's worth the $150 for a 4 year old at Seaworld?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27183 posts
13168 upvotes
Ottawa
sunstar1980 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 4:16 pm
If you're not on a budget and want to experience more than Disney World, I would say yes.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1673 posts
375 upvotes
With a young kid, staying at the Disney resort is so much better. Consider: shuttle straight to the parks, on-site Disney magic (in your rooms, around the resort, in the kiddy pool areas in case your kids need to end the day early) . When you stay away at a hotel away from the resort, it just feels ... nothing fancy. And with a kid so young, you might even go to the park early, go back/take a nap, go back into the park late in the afternoon.

In my opinion, Animal Kingdom is nice but lacking the kind of Disney magic in Magic Kingdom. It just feels like a safari type park (which is fun in its own way) but little girls will love Magic Kingdom. 4 year old is quite young for Universal, just because you won't be able to go on most rides, and the only dedicated toddler area (Dr. Seuss) is only okay.
Nov 11, 2011
335 posts
413 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
sunstar1980 wrote:
I think it used to be but right now they are renovating a lot of the little kids area and making it a Sesame Street themed section scheduled to open in 2020 (I think, might be earlier)

We took our kids once when they were about 5 and 7. It was a good day but they never begged to go back like they have for Disney. A lot of it is sitting and watching animal shows so if your little one is on the active side it might not be the greatest day. It is still fun and there is lots to see but not so much to do

Have you thought about Legoland Florida? or maybe a Disney waterpark?
[OP]
Jul 19, 2016
145 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
alohamom wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 6:50 pm
I think it used to be but right now they are renovating a lot of the little kids area and making it a Sesame Street themed section scheduled to open in 2020 (I think, might be earlier)

We took our kids once when they were about 5 and 7. It was a good day but they never begged to go back like they have for Disney. A lot of it is sitting and watching animal shows so if your little one is on the active side it might not be the greatest day. It is still fun and there is lots to see but not so much to do

Have you thought about Legoland Florida? or maybe a Disney waterpark?
hmmmmm...... my kid is definitely not much of a sitting type. Super active.
So Legoland might be something I can look into. Is there a lot to do for a 4 yr old?
Waterpark..... not that interested since we will be put up in a resort that has alot of water play activities for kids.
Nov 11, 2011
335 posts
413 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
sunstar1980 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 9:29 am
hmmmmm...... my kid is definitely not much of a sitting type. Super active.
So Legoland might be something I can look into. Is there a lot to do for a 4 yr old?
Waterpark..... not that interested since we will be put up in a resort that has alot of water play activities for kids.
My kids have only been to the Legoland park in California and that was when they were very little. They really enjoyed themselves and so many of the rides are designed for small children. I have not been to the Florida park but I would assume it is similar. If you look at the rides there are a few that are designed just for really little kids, even toddlers like the Duplo tractor and train rides.

Looks like most rides require the child to be 42" tall or be accompanied by an adult

Here is the link-
https://www.legoland.com/florida/map-explore/rides/
[OP]
Jul 19, 2016
145 posts
42 upvotes
Ontario
alohamom wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 9:57 am
My kids have only been to the Legoland park in California and that was when they were very little. They really enjoyed themselves and so many of the rides are designed for small children. I have not been to the Florida park but I would assume it is similar. If you look at the rides there are a few that are designed just for really little kids, even toddlers like the Duplo tractor and train rides.

Looks like most rides require the child to be 42" tall or be accompanied by an adult

Here is the link-
https://www.legoland.com/florida/map-explore/rides/
Oh just realized its like an hour drive from Disney area....... hmmmmm............ might have to look for something around Orlando maybe :)
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
4525 posts
715 upvotes
Ottawa
sunstar1980 wrote:
SeaWorld, Busch Gardens and Legoland are all quite a bit less than Disney and Universal. Right now, I believe you can get SeaWorld for $80 for 1 day, $100 for 2 day (2 days choice from Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Aquatica (Seaworld waterpark) and Busch Gardens waterpark) or 3 days for $120 (more days than that might warrant buying a season pass).

For Legoland, they do have tickets that include Legoland, Orlando ferris wheel (I forget what it's called), Ripley's aquarium and Madame Tussauds.