• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 5:06 pm
[OP]
May 13, 2007
276 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto

Orlando to Port of Miami

Hi RFD, I need a shuttle recommendation from Orlando to Port of Miami if anyone has taken one lately?

Thanks a bunch!
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1589 posts
732 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I have flown before (Southwest I believe?) and I've also rented a car.

This is approx 4 hours away so a shuttle isn't going to be cheap unless you look at Greyhound or something like that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5913 posts
3513 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Rent a car.

Even folks going just from Orlando to the Port at Cape Canaveral (1 Hour) rent a car

It’s just so dang cheap to rent a car in Florida, even for a short hop... plus the convenience of not being on someone else’s schedule

Alternatively... ask your cruise line if they are running shuttles for the cruise

Some lines offer shuttle buses to Port Everglades and Port of Miami from other Florida cities (ie Tampa, Orlando, Fort Myers etc)
Jul 7, 2017
976 posts
317 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
f you drive just allow time for traffic. Even the toll-ways can come to a standstill at times.

On the subject of tolls, no cash tolls anymore and any tolls you incur will be billed the car rental company who bill bill you that, and a hefty service charge, unless you prepay for tolls (if available). I refuse to travel in Florida anymore. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get to an airport w/o going on a toll road.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5913 posts
3513 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
thriftshopper wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 7:12 pm
f you drive just allow time for traffic. Even the toll-ways can come to a standstill at times.

On the subject of tolls, no cash tolls anymore and any tolls you incur will be billed the car rental company who bill bill you that, and a hefty service charge, unless you prepay for tolls (if available). I refuse to travel in Florida anymore. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to get to an airport w/o going on a toll road.
Good point.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

Normally, there is less traffic on the Florida Turnpike than the I-95, though the TP has tolls
And as stated Florida is going / has gone for the most part electronic
Toll Fees are higher if you don’t have a transponder
ASK the Rental Co, what their policy is for renters
Whether they do Charge Backs (Expensive)
Or if they recommend that renters get either a SunPass Portable Transponder or a more temporary SunPass Mini Sticker Transponder

https://www.sunpass.com/en/support/faq.shtml

The traffic around Miami is horrific... and it doesn’t seem to matter what time of day or night

Probably why, the closer you get to Miami the more toll roads there are... I don’t think it’s possible anymore to get into Miami without a toll
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4377 posts
553 upvotes
Montreal
You can get into Miami without paying a toll but it's convoluted. You need to get off I-95 in North Miami Beach and go through Miami Beach (Collins Avenue) is probably the best or maybe Biscayne Blvd. In South Miami Beach, there's a ramp that gets you to Miami right near the port.

As for Sunpasses, you can buy a temporary sticker at places like Walgreens. However, you need to register it online before you can use it legally. That involves linking the license plate to the sunpass. Then it gets complicated because many vehicles already have the rental company's sunpasses linked to their plates. If you go through a toll, you could find yourself paying 2X - once from the one installed in the vehicle and again from your sticker. If you don't take the rental company's sunpass option (which can be as much as $15 per day plus tolls) you could be hit with an admin fee of as much as $50. Different rental companies have different policies so you need to understand what to expect in advance.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5913 posts
3513 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Goggle wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 11:13 am
Thanks all for the replies.

My ship departs from port at 4pm, what time the latest normally had to be checked in?

I found this off google and seems reputable, anyone has experienced it? https://www.shuttlesreservations.com/se ... ack-button
Check your Cruise Contract, and your Boarding Papers (pkg you will have received by email or snail mail that usually includes your baggage tags / sticker info)

But generally speaking... last ALL ABOARD is about 1 to 2 Hours Before Sail Away, with most lines holding their Muster Drills in the last Hour to 1/2 Hour in Port
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4377 posts
553 upvotes
Montreal
In situations like that I usually board around lunch time and have a meal while they load the luggage and get the room ready.

As for the shuttle, I checked what the shuttle might cost for 1 person or for 4. With my parameters, 1 person cost $50.99 and 4 people cost $54.99. One of my choices only had the option to be dropped off at Miami airport so you'd have to get to the Seaport from there. They did have a more expensive door-to-door option though that seems worth the extra.

I checked and an UBERx is $237.
Phils
[OP]
May 13, 2007
276 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Their door to door cost usd$220, assuming to rent a car from Orlando MCO to Miami MIA plus fuel and Seaports would probably cost close to $200? Not to count 3-4hr driving time.
Phils wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 4:15 pm
In situations like that I usually board around lunch time and have a meal while they load the luggage and get the room ready.

As for the shuttle, I checked what the shuttle might cost for 1 person or for 4. With my parameters, 1 person cost $50.99 and 4 people cost $54.99. One of my choices only had the option to be dropped off at Miami airport so you'd have to get to the Seaport from there. They did have a more expensive door-to-door option though that seems worth the extra.

I checked and an UBERx is $237.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1605 posts
195 upvotes
We have done the drive between Orlando and Miami for a cruise twice. It is an easy drive. You can usually rent a car for about $30 for a day. We have stayed off the toll road as suggested because of the rental surcharges. Instead of the eastern toll roads we used I27 and I98.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4377 posts
553 upvotes
Montreal
I would imagine there would be significant drop-off charges if you pick up a rental car in Orlando and drop it off in Miami.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5913 posts
3513 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Phils wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 4:52 am
I would imagine there would be significant drop-off charges if you pick up a rental car in Orlando and drop it off in Miami.
Not really...
The USA and Canada don’t handle car rentals the same way when it comes to drop fees
And Florida its often a non issue / no fee state cause there are so many rental cars on the road always being shuffled around
That these 2 cities are common destinations (in the same state)
When there are drop fees in the US they are more about inter-state drop offs
Cause like here, the cars are registered in one state
And everything (ie Insurance) is tied back to the home base
So they need to get the car back there
But again... such a bigger population over the same amount of land mass as Canada
Makes that a whole lot easier
Hence, WHY our Cdn Rental Companies have the HUGE FEES
Cause the car has to get back to home base / Province
Even if that means hiring a driver to do it... or towing it back
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1605 posts
195 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Aug 12th, 2018 4:52 am
My last rental, Feb 2018, from Orlando airport to Miami airport was $42 for one day for a full size car. Pretty reasonable pricing.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17186 posts
2063 upvotes
Langley
Rental is the way to go. Don't even consider a shuttle.

The rental car places have a toll payment admin plan for $4/day. Not worth it if you're renting for 2 weeks and rack up .25c in tolls, but well worth it for a 1 day rental like this.

Or you can buy the Sunpass sticker for $5.

Or you can plan your route to avoid tolls. (Specifically, automatic tolls. The ones with a cash option are pretty easy to manage.)

Shuttles will be a fullsize van full of strangers, no access to your luggage, you don't get to stop and eat/piss sightsee when you want, you don't pick the radio station or decide where the AC is set. Sometimes they're taking people not going to the port, so you have to stop at other hotels along the way. No comparison.

As for timing, you should be there around lunch. Why not get an extra meal on the ship? If you haven't booked you trip, plan to get into Orlando as early as possible. I almost always arrive the day before, just to give some wiggle room in the event of a cancelled flight or issue on the road. Last time I went on a Florida cruise, some friends of ours had a couple bags go missing between Vancouver and Orlando. They had to waste a bunch of time at the airport looking into it, then they had to scramble to buy their kids a weeks worth of clothes and swimsuits, then drive like madmen from Orlando to Miami. They were the last ones on board the ship.

Last time I took a shuttle was in LA... the guy circled the airport 3 times looking to get more people, so he could take a full load to San Pedro. We wasted 45 minutes before we left the airport.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)