Students

OSAP Academic restriction for 1 year (HELP ASAP)

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2017 4:21 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2017
5 posts

OSAP Academic restriction for 1 year (HELP ASAP)

Okay guys I am in a big problem right now. I was attending wilfrid laurier for computer science, and did so bad that I got a letter from osap stating I wont get funding for a year. I knew I am not cut out for Computer science, so I applied to Ryerson for first year all over again. And I just got accepted, but I really don't know what to do to get funding from osap. What should I do?? Help please!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3077 posts
1093 upvotes
Edmonton
Why did you bother applying for college before you had figured out how you'd pay for it? Your story makes it sound like you knew you were on restriction, and then you went and applied anyway.

You could try just taking classes part-time while you work, so you can get your grades up. You could take a year off. You could work and go to school. Are you living at home now, so your living expenses are reasonable? Do you have parents/family that can lend you some money?

What have you already thought of?

C
[OP]
May 17, 2017
5 posts
CNeufeld wrote:
May 19th, 2017 5:53 pm
Why did you bother applying for college before you had figured out how you'd pay for it? Your story makes it sound like you knew you were on restriction, and then you went and applied anyway.

You could try just taking classes part-time while you work, so you can get your grades up. You could take a year off. You could work and go to school. Are you living at home now, so your living expenses are reasonable? Do you have parents/family that can lend you some money?

What have you already thought of?

C
Hey man i've actually thought of appealing my case because for real, CS wasn't for me. I was struggling big time with anxiety and living away from home. It all caught up to me and I failed miserably. I won't sound whiny on my letter but would make it sound legit and tell them whatever happened for this to happen absolutely has destroyed me. But should I appeal this way?
Sep 2, 2015
45 posts
7 upvotes
East York, ON
tell ryerson about your situation and ask for a deferral to next year then go home and take a break until then. some universities will let you defer the start up to 1 year provided you don't go to some other school in that time.
[OP]
May 17, 2017
5 posts
Hey Silkweave, what exactly do you mean by defer? I called osap today and told them about my situation, they said some schools would not stop your financial aid, so tell ryerson about it and ask for assistance.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3077 posts
1093 upvotes
Edmonton
tahamalik96 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 12:50 am
Hey Silkweave, what exactly do you mean by defer? I called osap today and told them about my situation, they said some schools would not stop your financial aid, so tell ryerson about it and ask for assistance.
So did you contact Ryerson?

If you can't afford to go to school on your own, contact the Ryerson Admissions office. Explain that you've gotten an admission, but can't go this year. Ask if you can defer your admission for a year, and if you can, what the process would be.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/defer

C
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23075 posts
986 upvotes
Markham, ON
"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" (Albert Einstein?)
[OP]
May 17, 2017
5 posts
Hey buddies so thanks for all yall help, I'll just wait and see what to do.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3077 posts
1093 upvotes
Edmonton
tahamalik96 wrote:
May 24th, 2017 4:27 pm
Hey buddies so thanks for all yall help, I'll just wait and see what to do.
So you're not going to reach out to the Admissions department and see what your options are? What was the point of asking for help if you're just going to wait and see what happens?

C
[OP]
May 17, 2017
5 posts
Dude I am going to reach out to the admissions department, I will ask them for assistance but yeah that's about it at this moment. If hopefully everything goes well, I'll update you guys so that if there are others in this situation, they would know what to do
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel