• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2014 3:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2292 posts
961 upvotes
Mujeeb wrote: How is OSAP broken for not giving money to somebody who's parents make 160k? My parents combined income was less than one quarter of that.
broken because it assumes parents will always contribute.
divx wrote: yes, your parents prioritize getting a house instead of your education, failure as parents
how is this OPs fault? the purpose of osap is to assist those who lack the means to pursue post secondary education with the ability to do so, not punish someone for something they have no control over.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
goodguy90 wrote: broken because it assumes parents will always contribute.

how is this OPs fault? the purpose of osap is to assist those who lack the means to pursue post secondary education with the ability to do so, not punish someone for something they have no control over.
The problem is that the government is trying to socially engineer "families" to be together and help each other out by requiring that they help their kids. Of course, we know can't always happen, but the government insists anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
The government also provides parents and relatives with MANY ways to create an education fund from birth, if I had kids, I would be dropping a little $50 bill every month in a RESP, the benefits you get and grants / matches / benefits are pretty substantial in most cases, especially with some workplaces matching contributions ect.

It's really all handed on a silver platter, if you have really well off parents who don';t plan for your education, well then, that's a parental problem not a government problem, and you can still possibly get accepted if you have left living with them (ie left at 16 , now 19, you will get osap) I believe its 2+ years of living on your own, or being 22+ to get OSAP without them considering parental income.

And to the poster who told me not just to look at salary because they might have other things to take care of (ie. other kids). The only valid reason for well off parents to not support their kids would be due to supporting MULTIPLE kids and becoming broke due to it, but OSAP basically auto-approves any child after the first, so again they look out for you here too.

Sucks if your parents make a ton and decide to get a bigger mortgage or go on tons of holidays instead of paying your miniscule $8000 tuition. Id definitely move out asap. If it is any sort of legitimate reason (ie covering another childs medical expenses) OSAP will look into it and definitely take it into consideration, they have very good ways to judge income and who can afford what, trust me they are more generous with the money than trying to deny students.
Dec 25, 2012
66 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
I worked for 1 and half years to save money for school. Right now I survive by working one job, bursaries from school and scholarships.
Also, the job I have is at my school which pays me $16 per hour. And combining all the help I get from my school, working 20-24 hours a week and I get about $2000-$2500 through scholarships/bursaries.

Its really not impossible to make a workable plan to pay for tuition. Yes, you may go a year or two behind on age but this way you don't have to rely on parents or osap.

Worked for me, i am sure otherw can give it a try.

P.S.: i don't live with my parents.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
goodguy90 wrote: how is this OPs fault? the purpose of osap is to assist those who lack the means to pursue post secondary education with the ability to do so, not punish someone for something they have no control over.
it's not op's fault but op have options, get a loan from the bank, or work and save up, it's possible to do it without parent's money and without student loan, if it makes the op feel any better, many people have it worse
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Financials wrote: The government also provides parents and relatives with MANY ways to create an education fund from birth, if I had kids, I would be dropping a little $50 bill every month in a RESP, the benefits you get and grants / matches / benefits are pretty substantial in most cases, especially with some workplaces matching contributions ect.

It's really all handed on a silver platter, if you have really well off parents who don';t plan for your education, well then, that's a parental problem not a government problem, and you can still possibly get accepted if you have left living with them (ie left at 16 , now 19, you will get osap) I believe its 2+ years of living on your own, or being 22+ to get OSAP without them considering parental income.

And to the poster who told me not just to look at salary because they might have other things to take care of (ie. other kids). The only valid reason for well off parents to not support their kids would be due to supporting MULTIPLE kids and becoming broke due to it, but OSAP basically auto-approves any child after the first, so again they look out for you here too.

Sucks if your parents make a ton and decide to get a bigger mortgage or go on tons of holidays instead of paying your miniscule $8000 tuition. Id definitely move out asap. If it is any sort of legitimate reason (ie covering another childs medical expenses) OSAP will look into it and definitely take it into consideration, they have very good ways to judge income and who can afford what, trust me they are more generous with the money than trying to deny students.
Not quite..... If under 4 years out of hs parents must sign off for the student to get OSAP. There is very little leeway there at all. Even if a kid leaves home due to abuse, addiction issues, etc, if the parent doesn't sign there is no OSAP at all. That means for the vast majority of kids in those situations that post secondary is not an option till they meet the independent student criteria. Even appealing is a slim shot as OSAP wants police reports, childrens services reports, etc to document the issues and that isn't something that most kids can or want to get involved in as its psychologically taxing. I've personally helped several kids with serious family issues deal with OSAP. Only 1 was able to get funding before the 4 yr mark... and that was only because there was a conviction in their case. That meant there was a ton of documentation and thankfully victim services had provided good counseling so that person was mentally strong enough to drudge it all back up....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Ivanbin wrote: I was planning to live in toronto for the upcoming year, and was wondering if that might have some impact on my OSAP application? Any tips?
Move to another province so that you don't have to deal with Ontario's BS but you have to live there for 12 months before you're eligible for student aid. You can't find a job in ON when you graduate anyway ;)
Jun 1, 2008
721 posts
245 upvotes
Richmond Hill
See if your parents can get a line of credit to borrow from. That might be easier to pay off than OSAP.
Dec 15, 2010
29 posts
3 upvotes
Ivanbin wrote: Couldnt get OSAP for the year because my parent's income is too high. However they have just bought a new house, and our old one isnt sold for another while. So they have a lot of debt for now and two mortgages. I was planning to live in toronto for the upcoming year, and was wondering if that might have some impact on my OSAP application? Any tips?
There has been a lot of very good advice in response to your situation. I think you should suck it up and enrol for January once the first house is sold, but if you do not want to do that, and you really want OSAP, there is another possible solution. Ask your financial aid office for the Application for Appeal Form (or get it off www.canlearn.ca) and submit a special consideration appeal. Write a letter, explain the situation that parents are in. Provide proof that the sale doesn't go through til October, show the financial hardship this is causing your parents and the family and ask that they not include the value of the first house in the asset valuation for your parents. Not sure if you will be successful but it only costs you a few hours of your time and some sheets of paper. Just remember that you only have one shot at the appeal - you are not allowed to appeal a negative appeal board decision - so make sure you have all your financial ducks in a row.