• May 17th, 2017 12:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2022 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

The OSAP Restriction Thread

I thought I'd start an OSAP restriction thread for anyone experiencing this dreaded program.

Here's my story:

I received a letter in July stating I had misrepresented my actual income, failing to report thousands of dollars in income to OSAP.

OSAP, somehow, for some strange unknown reason, doubled my income, saying I make $94,000 when I actually make $47,000. They demanded I provide my tax returns and documents substantiated why I lied about my income, and why I felt someone making $94,000 still needed OSAP.

I appealed, provided all my documentation, and tried to put it as nicely as possible without saying "look, idiots, YOU doubled my income. Here's the documentation. Fix it."

It took about 10 weeks, but OSAP hilariously responded that they were sticking with their original claim that I actually made $94,000 and lied about it!

Indeed, even with my tax returns and OSAP applications clearly showing I made $47,000 and claimed $47,000 in income, they refused to fix their mistake. I am now banned from receiving OSAP for five years.

I don't need OSAP to finish my M.A. program, but I don't take kindly to their assertion that I've knowingly lied and defrauded the government. So I'm planning on appealing the appeal, if for nothing else than to put my foot down and show I did not lie to them.

I'm sure a lot of other people here have stories about being restricted from receiving OSAP. So support one another and share your stories!
12 replies
Oct 9, 2013
4 posts
ThThat's unfotunate to hear. I'm in a similar situation granted it's only 1 year and it's for not progressing academically. I might share more about my story...it depends
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2008
2277 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
You're omitting some critical details here.

Even the monkeys that process the OSAP applications could not simply fabricate something like that. Are you living with parents? Spouse, common-law partner? I don't know their exact formulas but they may consider other things, like potential savings and assets simply by looking at your income versus liabilities? Perhaps the 94,000 quoted is some sort of equivalent number?

Anyway, big deal, credit is cheap these days, even from commercial lenders.
Jan 25, 2012
257 posts
13 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
OSAP has screwed me over so many times. It's unreal. Just this year, they wanted to give me $0 loan and just receive the OTG amount for whatever $1600 approx, however, they said they overpaid me in the prior years and I had to pay them back approximately ~$2000. Like what the hell? I'm gonna graduate in less than 2 years, why can this just not wait? My god. I just quit on them after that and trying to pull together things on my own somehow. Absolutely insane.
Oct 9, 2013
4 posts
So I'm looking for some advice with regards to my situation. Here’s a little bit of background information.

I’ve been put on a 1 year financial restriction back in April 2013 by OSAP for not successfully completing my courses. I’ve also been required to withdraw from my program for 1 year and to reapply to my university in the following year (Winter 2014). To be readmitted, I’d have to take two university courses though online classes in the fall semester (which I am) and achieve a low to mid 70s average. The other option is to appeal my university withdrawal (which I haven’t…yet).

However, as dejected as I was with my predicament, I knew that I wouldn’t have made it to University without being resourceful as well being able to move past any obstacle in my way so after asking myself many tough questions, I sought out answers. Over the summer, I went through pscy-ed testing and was diagnosed for the first time with a learning disability along with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. With that being said, academic accommodations have been put in place couple week ago.

Here are some of my questions.

1. Would a recent diagnosis of a learning disability be a valid reason to appeal my OSAP restriction? My fear is that not only that have to start paying back my loan starting at the end of this month (which I have to since I’m not in a “degree program” at the moment) but that down the line any mistake with OSAP would result in a 3 years restriction.

2. I’ve been told that OSAP has possible bursaries available for students with disabilities along with a host of other programs and exemptions (e.g. reduced course load). How do I get access to it? Would I get retroactive support from OSAP for the years I didn’t know of my disability?

3. Not related to OSAP but does my recent diagnosis, would a simple appeal at my university allow me to be readmitted rather then risking not doing well in the course I’m taking right now?

Thank you kindly.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3043 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
(1) The short answer is highly unlikely. First, you've had multiple chances already with both OSAP and your university. Neither will block you off after one offence. The chance of your OSAP appeal succeeding is very low. In fact, you are probably already accumulating interest as you're not currently a student.

(2) You can try to get retroactive support, but I've rarely heard of anyone succeeding in getting the support retroactively paid.

(3) No. Again, your school had to have given you multiple chances to get your act together. The chance that they will suddenly drop your withdrawal because of your learning disability is highly unlikely.

I hate to say this, but although I sympathize with your learning disability, the fact that you had to have at least gotten two, if not three chances to improve your marks means it's highly unlikely that your diagnosis will suddenly drop all the restrictions on you.
Jan 13, 2011
465 posts
8 upvotes
osap screwed me over twice first they said they overpaid me by $2000 ok fine I said whatever after they demanded I start paying even though I never finished school yet. at first I tried paying them the $200 a month but stuff happened and I decided to apply after 8 months for re-assistance. I sent in all my pay stubs to defer payments 3 different times.

first time application did not go through because I did not send enough paystubs I sent in 4 recent ones. OK fine second time I sent 6 months of paystubs and my T4 I just stuffed a bunch in an envelope and mailed it they said I missed one for a month.
Now the third time they put it on my credit I was 60 days,30 days late on payments on my credit report like WTF I called and finally spoke to a girl who would cleared it all up for me over the phone she told me I had enough info already. However they did not remove the late payments from my credit report. I found out about it after I called bmo to raise my credit limit on a card
Aug 15, 2016
6 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have never even heard of someone getting into the kind of situation Im currently in. My financial aid office went back in my file and found mistakes they made, after I asked them to look into my current status. They basically allowed me to fall under their radar, and said I should have been on probation in 2014! I received about 5 semesters worth of funding that I suppose I should not have even received. I had health issues, my father was terminally ill and passed away which is why there were times I did not do so well. I understand the rules but what I do not understand is why nobody is being held accountable for this error? If I was put on probation in 2014, I would be attending classes right now. Because of these dolts in the financial aid office who clearly are not doing their job, Im getting screwed. I went from being in good standing, to probation, to restriction all in one day. I didn't even receive a first instance. So my question is, can I appeal this nonsense? This is not right at all.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2016
1340 posts
354 upvotes
CWatson87 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 8:08 am
I thought I'd start an OSAP restriction thread for anyone experiencing this dreaded program.

Here's my story:

I received a letter in July stating I had misrepresented my actual income, failing to report thousands of dollars in income to OSAP.

OSAP, somehow, for some strange unknown reason, doubled my income, saying I make $94,000 when I actually make $47,000. They demanded I provide my tax returns and documents substantiated why I lied about my income, and why I felt someone making $94,000 still needed OSAP.

I appealed, provided all my documentation, and tried to put it as nicely as possible without saying "look, idiots, YOU doubled my income. Here's the documentation. Fix it."

It took about 10 weeks, but OSAP hilariously responded that they were sticking with their original claim that I actually made $94,000 and lied about it!

Indeed, even with my tax returns and OSAP applications clearly showing I made $47,000 and claimed $47,000 in income, they refused to fix their mistake. I am now banned from receiving OSAP for five years.

I don't need OSAP to finish my M.A. program, but I don't take kindly to their assertion that I've knowingly lied and defrauded the government. So I'm planning on appealing the appeal, if for nothing else than to put my foot down and show I did not lie to them.

I'm sure a lot of other people here have stories about being restricted from receiving OSAP. So support one another and share your stories!
well...you are in luck as student issues are a big deal for gov't happiness right now...take all of your docs and make an appt with your MPP office...you might be surprised at the results!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2022 posts
168 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Fjr2005 wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 6:09 pm
CWatson87 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2013 8:08 am

Here's my story:

well...you are in luck as student issues are a big deal for gov't happiness right now...take all of your docs and make an appt with your MPP office...you might be surprised at the results!
Um. That was 3 years ago. I graduated debt-free and paid OSAP back in full without paying $1 in interest. No thanks to them.
May 15, 2017
1 posts
I've got a mental illness and that's why I did terribly in my studies. my gpa was 0.7. I got put on a one year restriction from osap. i went to school using my own money during that one year. didn't do so well. now im on medication and am feeling better. will i be eligible for osap again do you think? thanks, please let me know!
Mar 18, 2015
790 posts
151 upvotes
Antarctica
What doesn't make sense to me is why can't they just adjust the supposed "overpayment" in the upcoming year. Sometimes there are legit reasons such as you landed a job you weren't expecting and made some extra $$$$, but if they ask you to update the income, why not do the smart thing and update the funding next time? Or do they think all students are running investment schemes off of OSAP money?

Bunch of disfunctional goons.
Jun 24, 2017
1 posts
Hi there,

So glad I found this thread, and that is freshly new.

I have two restrictions with my OSAP, have been applying over the past two terms and it always says 1) You made an assignment in bankruptcy..(really is a consumer proposal but OSAP sees both things as the same). and 2) You defaulted on a loan...No I'm not a scammer or have tried in anyway to mess with OSAP. I just found myself in a very difficult financial situation and filed a CP, but my OSAP loan of only $1,200 was never included. My trustee simply told me that he was required to notify the NSLSC by law. This is when all my problems began and those two restrictions were put on my file.

so I called them up last Friday to find out how these restrictions can be lifted. I was hoping to find specific instructions as to what I need to do, but after calling 4 different agencies and departments, even after visiting and seeing in person on a computer screen the two restrictions, not even a financial aid officer from my school could tell me how to proceed in order to have the PROVINCIAL one lift. It just says $0, meaning there no amount that I owned at the provincial level. The first restrictions has to do with the $1,200 I owe them, and was instructed by the NSLSC that once that amount is paid in full, they will lift the restrictions 100%.

Now, can someone please provide some insight as to why not even the NSLSC could tell me why this provincial restriction has no amount, and has been put in my file since the day they were notified about the filing of my comsumer proposal? Some officer told me a couple of semesters back (summer of 2016) that I would not get any more funding until my CP is fully paid and they receive a certificate of completion, but now all officers I've spoken to only place enphasis on paying off those $1,200 I owe and things will be OK.

Anyone in a similar situation? will OSAP help me? I am paying back those $1,200 in early July, but to pay off my CP I need to ask a friend for a very large amount of money. I know he will let me borrow it 100%, but I would rather not get into anymore financial commitments unless I know for certain that I can study full time and finally finish with my degree.