Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

May 25, 2009
392 posts
1 upvote
CSK'sMom wrote: Every single school has some form of OSAP deferral. It may have been in your initial accceptance package with the deposit info. It may be on your school's website. Seeing as you have never said which school no one can really tell you exactly where it is/was. ;)

Yes, you need to take all your banking info (everything needed for direct deposit or a void cheque) with you when you pick up your loan papers. The remaining OSAP amount will then be direct deposited roughly 10-14 days later.
My school is Ryerson. I tried to find the OSAP deferral thing on Ryerson's website and I just can't find it, it's not in my acceptance package...
Dec 14, 2007
239 posts
4 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Eminson wrote: My school is Ryerson. I tried to find the OSAP deferral thing on Ryerson's website and I just can't find it, it's not in my acceptance package...
It might not be as explicit as that, for example I had never heard of it before but knew of my university's policy. Try checking around on their pages about tuition fees and deadlines as well as financial aid and accounts.
Banned
Mar 1, 2009
36 posts
Every school offers osap deferral. I suggest you go down to your University (ryerson in your case) and talk to their registrar/ student fee's booth. They will be happy to tell you where to fill out the form. Avoid calling at this time of the year. You could end up waiting thirty minutes for a short 5 minute conversation.
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
Hmm, the OSAP app wants to know how I'm meeting my daily living costs because my income is apparently too low. Well, I'm living off past savings, but they want supporting documentation. What sort of documentation will they want from me? Bank statements? Credit card bills? Old pay stubs? Rent receipts? (I think I've lost my receipts for 2008, and I haven't received the ones for 2009 yet.) How far back should the documentation go? I'll have to do a lot of digging.
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
CSK'sMom wrote: Keep it short and sweet. Write a letter explaining exactly how you are living and on what. Provide a bank statement supporting your claim. I will add though that I hope you were 100% upfront about your assets when you initially applied or this could bite you in the butt.
Do I write the letter in the Daily Living Costs box provided by the online application? How do I provide supporting documents? I can't find a way to attach anything (I haven't submitted my application yet). I thought that they'd let me know what documents they wanted once they received my app? And my assets have been slowly dwindling these past few months. I'm being completely honest with them about what I have in the bank. I did just file my tax return, though, so I'm expecting some more money in the future. But I wasn't sure if I should include that? It's not exactly income. Also, I'm subletting my apartment, but I wasn't sure what to do about that either, seeing as I don't think that's income either. Thank you for taking the time to help! =)
May 25, 2009
392 posts
1 upvote
domokun2009 wrote: Every school offers osap deferral. I suggest you go down to your University (ryerson in your case) and talk to their registrar/ student fee's booth. They will be happy to tell you where to fill out the form. Avoid calling at this time of the year. You could end up waiting thirty minutes for a short 5 minute conversation.
Thanks....but I just got told my someone that unfortunately Ryerson doesn't have a deferral form for students waiting for OSAP money to come through...
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
CSK'sMom wrote: What you'll do is explain the subletting, living on savings in the box provided on the application. If they want more they will let you know and you'll send it (bank statement, etc.) directly to your school's FinAid office, along with your declaration pages. Tax refunds aren't considered income so don't report that. Subletting shouldn't be income either.
Thanks! I'll do that. =)
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
Huh, I just noticed that there's an estimator on the site. I put in my numbers, but I noticed something strange. No matter what I put down for expected summer income, I still get the same estimate. How come? Shouldn't the estimate vary based on how much I expect to make this summer?
Sep 18, 2008
353 posts
1 upvote
does anyone have their date of release for Septembers portion of osap? also no grants yet :(
Sep 5, 2006
94 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Quick Question:

7 years after highschool and a couple of degrees later, I am once again applying for OSAP. How will my OSAP funding be affected if I declare that I am living with my parents?

I have been living on my own since I was out of HS and I have been regarded as independent by OSAP for the last few applications. I do not expect much financial assistance from my folks aside from living under their roof. If I declare "living with parents" on my application, will they automatically assume that my parents will be helping out with money?
May 13, 2009
114 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote: Go into your school's FinAid office and talk to them in person. There are different income thresholds for Ontario Access Grants so just because you got one doesn't mean you'll get the other. You do know you're expected to contribute to your expenses right? ;) When all else fails, get a job. You should have been working this summer and banking everything if you weren't working.
The only reason why I'm confused is because my brother recieved this grant and I didn't > :(
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
Hello,

I have some OSAP questions related to Program transfer; I was in ITM of Ryerson U last year and transferred to BM recently. I have been taking the same mandatory courses (with 100% courseload) for both programs' requirements, since they're very similar for first year, so when I applied OSAP for my second year, I put in Business Management -- 2nd Year student, basically, because technically I will be 2nd year attending university.

Now I am just wondering, since I just got transferred to this new BM program, the majority of the credits got transferred automatically, but then there are some that requires a transfer credit request, as well as few BM-only courses that I need to take to satisfy BM 1st year.

So now, is it fine the way I did my OSAP, or do I need to inform OSAP my situation? Please advise, thank you!
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1734 posts
522 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: Are you a 1st year student who also applied for the QEII and made all the deadlines for it? If you are, many are experiencing grants not showing up yet on their summaries. One of my own son's is experiencing it with not a single grant showing as of yet... We're hoping that it gets straightened out when the QEII is processed hopefully this coming week...
FWIW I got a letter confirming that my QEII had been deferred (I'm on an internship this year and not returning to school until September 2010).
Sep 5, 2006
94 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote: No they won't. The criteria to be classed as an independent student is 4 years out of highschool. Once you hit that mark it never changes and you'll always be considered independent for OSAP purposes. In reality, that means that your parents are nver again expected to help with your costs and their income is never again required on the app.
Thanks for your answer. This question actually got me curious... how do the government know if I am living on my own or with my parents? Even when I was still a dependent, I don't think I ever showed OSAP any evidence that I no longer lived at home (rent receipt). Is this because I went to school in a different city?

If someone is fresh out of high school, goes to university in the same city as their parents but decides to move out, will they then need to show proof?
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: At this point I would say leave it alone. The school will notify OSAP of the program change anyway...
Will this pose a problem on paper during the Confirmation of Enrollment signing when on OSAP report it states Business Management - 2nd Year, but School record states Business Management - 1st Year?
May 13, 2009
114 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote: Are you a 1st year student who also applied for the QEII and made all the deadlines for it? If you are, many are experiencing grants not showing up yet on their summaries. One of my own son's is experiencing it with not a single grant showing as of yet... We're hoping that it gets straightened out when the QEII is processed hopefully this coming week...
Yes I made all the deadlines. Thank you for all the help, greatly appreciated
Dec 14, 2007
239 posts
4 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Broozes wrote: I was on the fence whether to apply or not for OSAP, and now I am thinking of doing it, however I just realized that on the website they are saying you should apply in June for September.

Can I/Should I, apply for OSAP now, seeing as it is beginning of August?

And if I do, is there a good chance I will receive it before the academic year starts or not?
You can still apply. Since you didn't apply until now there is a lot less chance that it will processed by the beginning of September. The likelihood I'm not sure at all but considering when it is now and how long it takes (plus others have waited too obviously) I wouldn't count on it at all.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: It shouldn't. Lots of people change programs right before school starts or shortly after. If OSAP has a problem with it they will let you know if they need any additional information or supporting documents...
Got it. Thanks for your answers. :D
Jun 25, 2009
391 posts
41 upvotes
York
CSK'sMom wrote: In a nutshell you are expected to contribute to your educational costs and you aren't penelized for doing so. On the flip side you aren't rewarded with more funding for being lazy and not working during the summer. :)
Hah, that makes perfect sense. :)
soggychicken wrote: Quick Question:

7 years after highschool and a couple of degrees later, I am once again applying for OSAP. How will my OSAP funding be affected if I declare that I am living with my parents?

I have been living on my own since I was out of HS and I have been regarded as independent by OSAP for the last few applications. I do not expect much financial assistance from my folks aside from living under their roof. If I declare "living with parents" on my application, will they automatically assume that my parents will be helping out with money?
I'm almost certain that your assessment will be lower if you declare you'll be residing with your parents. I'm in the same boat. I've been independent for several years, with my own apartment, etc., but going back to school means I'm trying to cut back on my expenses, so I've recently moved back with my parents. If you declare you're living with your parents, OSAP will probably assume that you won't be paying rent, which means less funding.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)