Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Mar 17, 2012
104 posts
8 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
My osap finally came tonight! Because I am a mature student I don't get the 30% off tuition....that is disappointing!
Aug 31, 2011
227 posts
17 upvotes
NORTH YORK
anyone know what the "ontario special bursary" is? do you have to be eligible for osap to get this or can anyone get it?
Jul 31, 2012
137 posts
35 upvotes
OTTAWA
durantula wrote: anyone know what the "ontario special bursary" is? do you have to be eligible for osap to get this or can anyone get it?
Ontario Special Bursary is no longer funded by the government. Most schools are offering a special bursary program to replace it - check with your financial aid office. This is usually for people studying part time and may be used for a diploma/degree or upgrading/esl depending on your school. If you are on OSAP you can't have special bursary.
Jul 31, 2012
137 posts
35 upvotes
OTTAWA
duyle1337 wrote: sigh i don't understand, i haven't gotten any extra money from osap, everyone else i knew got a couple 100-300 extra for textbook which i badly need. I thought Canada Student Grant for Persons from Low-Income Families is directly desposited into your bank??, instead all 1500 went to my school for tuition ! and getting 200 on the 20th, and 10th of oct 350..
Loans and Canada Student Grants can go to your school for tuition....Ontario Grants must go to your bank account only. But whats the difference, if it went to your account and you owe tuition, you would just have to pay it out anyway
Aug 7, 2012
185 posts
2 upvotes
York
does osap pay off your fall and winter tuition automatically? or just deposit fall funding now in bank account?

still haven't received btw. sept 7th funding date and still nothing,
Aug 12, 2012
105 posts
3 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
yeeson wrote: does osap pay off your fall and winter tuition automatically? or just deposit fall funding now in bank account?

still haven't received btw. sept 7th funding date and still nothing,
Every school is different. My school deposits everything into my bank account, while my sister's automatically deducts her tuition first.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
1438 posts
49 upvotes
Timmie G wrote: I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the 'grant' was scheduled to be deposited 09/11. When I noticed it hadn't gone in, I checked and now its pushed back to mid October. I wonder why the change.
The same happened to me as well, it was suppose to be released on the 14th, now it is pushed back to oct 9/10
Dec 8, 2008
704 posts
24 upvotes
I was using the Aid calculator to calculate how much they would give me for a MBA program i wanna do in USA, the cost per year is $47000 and i was only eligible for $7000 loan, I have gotten more loan in my undergrad program :/ and my financial standing hasnt really changed much.

Is there a max that grad students can get?
Aug 31, 2011
227 posts
17 upvotes
NORTH YORK
so what are the odds 1 year osap restriction will be lifted after a year and a half if the student during that time did the following: went back to school for one semester part time got a B+ in the class he took, all the monthly repayments have been made up to know without any being late. any body here ever been on osap restriction than get it removed after the year was over?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1382 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
raps4lyfe wrote: I was using the Aid calculator to calculate how much they would give me for a MBA program i wanna do in USA, the cost per year is $47000 and i was only eligible for $7000 loan, I have gotten more loan in my undergrad program :/ and my financial standing hasnt really changed much.

Is there a max that grad students can get?
Less funding for non-Canadian schools.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
durantula wrote: so what are the odds 1 year osap restriction will be lifted after a year and a half if the student during that time did the following: went back to school for one semester part time got a B+ in the class he took, all the monthly repayments have been made up to know without any being late. any body here ever been on osap restriction than get it removed after the year was over?
Lots have... the main thing is that loan payments need to have been made on time and are up to date. :)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Aug 31, 2011
227 posts
17 upvotes
NORTH YORK
CSK'sMom wrote: Lots have... the main thing is that loan payments need to have been made on time and are up to date. :)
they all have been paid so far, no lates except for one for march which happened because a problem on the banks side i called them right away and rescheduled the payment right away.
hopefully everything goes smooth for me as i go through this process.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
56 upvotes
NORTH YORK
CSK'sMom wrote: If you applied for OSAP, the tuition grant was also applied for along with every other grant. It's an all-in-one app.
Thanks...good to know.
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
Sep 9, 2012
6 posts
ETOBICOKE
Okay, so my school has confirmed my enrollment, and I called the National Student Loan Centre to make sure everything was going smoothly and they told me they haven't received any confirmation as of yet! It's been a week since my school confirmed, anyone else having this problem? Now they're saying it'll be another week before I receive my deposit which I don't even believe anymore. I don't understand how it can be confirmed on one end and not on the other, it just doesn't make sense. I talked to my financial aid office and they said it was "strange". Real comforting huh?

Edit: Just called now, they finally received my confirmation certificate, so they say it'll be in my account no later than this Friday! So to anyone else in this situation, it took about a week for the National Student Loan Centre to receive confirmation AFTER my school had confirmed. Keep on them though, I've been calling NSLSC and my financial aid office (calling and going into the office) everyday so you have to hound them to get it done. Good luck.
Sep 11, 2012
2 posts
STAPLES
jghetto wrote: Okay, so my school has confirmed my enrollment, and I called the National Student Loan Centre to make sure everything was going smoothly and they told me they haven't received any confirmation as of yet! It's been a week since my school confirmed, anyone else having this problem? Now they're saying it'll be another week before I receive my deposit which I don't even believe anymore. I don't understand how it can be confirmed on one end and not on the other, it just doesn't make sense. I talked to my financial aid office and they said it was "strange". Real comforting huh?

Edit: Just called now, they finally received my confirmation certificate, so they say it'll be in my account no later than this Friday! So to anyone else in this situation, it took about a week for the National Student Loan Centre to receive confirmation AFTER my school had confirmed. Keep on them though, I've been calling NSLSC and my financial aid office (calling and going into the office) everyday so you have to hound them to get it done. Good luck.
How long did it take to say they confirmed enrolment on the osap site? I went into my schools financial aid office Thursday and they said they did it then. I just checked the osap site and it still says the school needs to confirm my enrolment, and NSLSC still hasn't received anything.
Sep 9, 2012
6 posts
ETOBICOKE
It took 1 business day for me, I went in on Tuesday last week and it was confirmed the next day on the site. That part doesn't matter as much as NSLSC having confirmation though since they're the ones that actually release your funds. Just keep calling them everyday to see if they got it, I was on the phone with them for 4 hours on Friday and NSLSC finally received it.

Edit: On an unrelated note, my bank changed my account number without telling me so now NSLSC doesn't have the correct information (my bank account number is the same as before, just with a "zero" added on the end, anyone ever heard of this??). Because of this, NSLSC said once the deposit is returned because of the bad account number they will send a cheque and all of this will take another 2 weeks. Ugh.
Sep 13, 2012
2 posts
@jghetto Yeah this happened to me, except they inputted my bank account number wrong. They entered two numbers in the wrong order. Didn't realize until I check the NSLSC site today and called them. It may not take two weeks though. I was told I'd get it around the 25th (so two weeks), but I already have it.
Mar 5, 2007
92 posts
33 upvotes
leafs911 wrote: Still no movements....Ryerson is kinda pissing me off.
Talk about it. I went to Fin Aid today and what the lady told me at the line was "be patient". :|
Jul 23, 2010
42 posts
2 upvotes
xxchrno wrote: Talk about it. I went to Fin Aid today and what the lady told me at the line was "be patient". :|
I am pretty sure they haven't had to pay for +$500 work of text books, iClickers, Webassign, transportation and other crap, with 20$ in their bank account.
Sure the government is doing us "slackers" a favor, but we will be paying them back PLUS interest. And if we take out time to pay them back we will get nailed with late fees.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)