Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2016 1:09 am
Nov 28, 2011
60 posts
5 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Hey! When will the students be receiving their spring/summer OSAP loans??
Dec 9, 2008
824 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
has anyone received money for the 30% off grant yet?
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
princess2132 wrote:
Apr 4th, 2012 11:19 pm
Hey! When will the students be receiving their spring/summer OSAP loans??
Not till after the term starts usually. The confirmation of enrollment can't be completed till then...
rjones416 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 2:06 am
has anyone received money for the 30% off grant yet?

There is a dedicated thread in this forum dealing with that...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Apr 4, 2012
19 posts
TORONTO
How do I write an OSAP restriction removal letter after the 1 year is over?I made many huge mistakes and don't even know where to start.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
bottles123 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 3:34 pm
How do I write an OSAP restriction removal letter after the 1 year is over?I made many huge mistakes and don't even know where to start.

Be short, sweet and to the point. It shouldn't be more than a page or so. Tell them what led to screwing up and what you have done to rectify the situation and how you plan to not repeat the same mistakes along with any goals you have moving forward. They will want a transcript as well so order one. :)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Apr 4, 2012
19 posts
TORONTO
CSK'sMom wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 7:56 pm
Be short, sweet and to the point. It shouldn't be more than a page or so. Tell them what led to screwing up and what you have done to rectify the situation and how you plan to not repeat the same mistakes along with any goals you have moving forward. They will want a transcript as well so order one. :)

The restriction on my file apparently is on till August.Is it possible to apply for 2012-2013 OSAP in April-May like usual and then hand in the letter with the signature pages?
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
bottles123 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2012 9:59 pm
The restriction on my file apparently is on till August.Is it possible to apply for 2012-2013 OSAP in April-May like usual and then hand in the letter with the signature pages?

Yes, that is what you'll do. When your app processes the letter and transcript requirement will be listed. They get sent to your finaid office and with your declaration pages is a good idea then they have everything together...
Mar 22, 2012
2 posts
LONDON
Want konw what kind of seperation agreement should I submit for OSAP? I've got a college offer in summer semester, hope to get my own money to pay for tuition fee and living cost as soon as possible.

Decide to seperate with my hub after several years of endless quarrel. Don't want to spent my husband's money again, he's still in university and owe heavy OSAP debt in the past 2 years.

Though still in deep love of my hub, I can't bear this kind of marriage life anymore.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2008
4025 posts
16 upvotes
Hey guys, so i filled for OSAP in jan and i still didnt get it yet, then i found out that one of the forms was filled wrong, its already april/ middle of the semester, do i get less OSAP because of this? what is the penalty? BTW, i have already mailed in the form again.
Nov 28, 2011
60 posts
5 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I enrolled in 1 spring course and 2 internet courses which are regular (spring and summer)
I go to ryerson and there are three osap forms available, a spring extension form, a summer extension form and a spring and summer extension form. I had filled out the spring and summer extension form but now realized that i should have given in the spring form instead of spring/summer. Now what do I do? Do I just leave it or do i have to go to the fin-aid office and explain my situation? Will this delay the funds?
Mar 17, 2012
33 posts
PEMBROKE
I talked to fin aid at Algonquin (Pembroke) and was told that there are a lot of changes for the 2012 application. She hinted that there may even be changes to the car issues. As a mature student, a husband who needs to get to work and three kids working (two will be at college in the fall but working for the summer) and one vehicle it makes it interesting! We are waiting to see what happens with that.
Oct 27, 2003
206 posts
2 upvotes
Shelburne
momofmen wrote:
Apr 10th, 2012 3:44 pm
I talked to fin aid at Algonquin (Pembroke) and was told that there are a lot of changes for the 2012 application. She hinted that there may even be changes to the car issues. As a mature student, a husband who needs to get to work and three kids working (two will be at college in the fall but working for the summer) and one vehicle it makes it interesting! We are waiting to see what happens with that.
There are ways around the car thing. We have 2 cars. Both over 10 years old. I put $5000 as the combined value of both and they never questioned that. So you can have as many cars as you want as long as they are not worth more than $5000. Hope we can soon apply.
Mar 9, 2011
43 posts
3 upvotes
Hi, I tried to read through as many pages as I could bear, but did not find a post similar to my question(s).

I will be in my 4th and final year this September. For the past 3 years, OSAP have been covering for my expenses because of my mom's low income. However, my mom became too ill to work this year, and is now receiving Ontario Works. I am listed as her dependent adult.

I am not sure what the implications are for my OSAP (other than the fact that it is perfectly legal to be a dependent adult of a OW recipient and have OSAP as well). But I intend on moving out September 2012 (4th year) and I intend to get my name off as my mom's dependent adult for her OW too. I want to apply to OSAP as an independent because my mom will not be providing anything for me anymore. But I go to university within the city, so it is unavoidable to live 40km from my mom's home. I have not been out of high school for 4 years yet either, but I am 21.

The reason I have to move out is because I need higher marks to enhance my chances of getting accepted into grad programs. My home and neighbourhood provides me with a very poor study environment. There are a few better reasons for me to move out, but they are too personal to share, so use your imagination?

Problem now is that I don't appear to qualify as an independent for OSAP. (And it appears that I will forfeit $1600 from the 30% tuition cut if I do apply as an independent, which makes me a little sad.) Can you tell me whether I would be able to apply as an independent or not? Thanks in advance!
× < >