86 posts
8 upvotes
How long does osap usually take to process? I haven't applied yet for Fall :(
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
699 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Civies wrote: How long does osap usually take to process? I haven't applied yet for Fall :(
Depends on your financial aid office. Mine took less than a week to be approved.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
billy08 wrote: I'm in a 5 year co-op program and have completed half of 3rd year (ie. 5 semesters). I will be returning to school September - April (2 semesters). Do I need to complete separate fall and winter OSAP applications in this case?

I will be starting semester 1 of 4th year in January, so none of the 8 month selections on the website apply to me.

Thanks in advance.
You are going to have to phone your finaid office and they will tell you what to do if none of the options are applicable to your situation.
Civies wrote: How long does osap usually take to process? I haven't applied yet for Fall :(
OSAP apps are never processed till at least the beginning of July, often more like the middle of July. They are done in chunks vs all at once. Every night more apps are processed and emails are sent out. Finaid offices have nothing to do with processing apps. ;) You have time to apply but the longer you wait, the more likely you will be delayed getting your funds...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Jul 12, 2010
52 posts
1 upvote
Hi so. I got a letter from Osap/financial aid saying there's a difference in the income I reported on my OSAP application and from the CRA. I reported that I received no income from the previous year on my app because I didn't from any sources, but apparently the CRA are saying I have over 4k of income that I didn't report - which I don't have (definitely wish I did though). So do I just call my financial aid and tell them this is incorrect? Or do I have to prove in some way that I never had this 4k income from anything?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
kashay wrote: Hi so. I got a letter from Osap/financial aid saying there's a difference in the income I reported on my OSAP application and from the CRA. I reported that I received no income from the previous year on my app because I didn't from any sources, but apparently the CRA are saying I have over 4k of income that I didn't report - which I don't have (definitely wish I did though). So do I just call my financial aid and tell them this is incorrect? Or do I have to prove in some way that I never had this 4k income from anything?
Well, you're going to have to find out from CRA whether the 4k of income is a mistake or not. If it is, then you get it corrected and there's nothing wrong. However, if you did have 4k of income that you didn't report, you will need to pay back the difference that OSAP calculates based on you having 4k more income than before.
Jul 12, 2010
52 posts
1 upvote
joepoonie wrote: Well, you're going to have to find out from CRA whether the 4k of income is a mistake or not. If it is, then you get it corrected and there's nothing wrong. However, if you did have 4k of income that you didn't report, you will need to pay back the difference that OSAP calculates based on you having 4k more income than before.
Okay so I just call the CRA to see why they're saying I have the 4k income? Considering this is my fourth time using OSAP, never having an issue before and never having a job, I just find this all weird. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kashay wrote: Okay so I just call the CRA to see why they're saying I have the 4k income? Considering this is my fourth time using OSAP, never having an issue before and never having a job, I just find this all weird. Thank you.
Look at your notice of assessment for starters. Make sure you didn't mistakenly report grants/scholarships/bursaries as income. it seems to be a common mistake made by many. You are still going to have to deal with CRA to straighten this out but look to your own records first to try to figure it out...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22691 posts
3682 upvotes
kashay wrote: Hi so. I got a letter from Osap/financial aid saying there's a difference in the income I reported on my OSAP application and from the CRA. I reported that I received no income from the previous year on my app because I didn't from any sources, but apparently the CRA are saying I have over 4k of income that I didn't report - which I don't have (definitely wish I did though). So do I just call my financial aid and tell them this is incorrect? Or do I have to prove in some way that I never had this 4k income from anything?
Look at your return and see whats on 105.
Jul 12, 2010
52 posts
1 upvote
CSK'sMom wrote: Look at your notice of assessment for starters. Make sure you didn't mistakenly report grants/scholarships/bursaries as income. it seems to be a common mistake made by many. You are still going to have to deal with CRA to straighten this out but look to your own records first to try to figure it out...
Oh thanks, you're right - they were reported as income instead of bursaries etc. I think I have to fill out a report and call CRA tomorrow. Thanks guys!
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19126 posts
9045 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For my OSAP I said I am taking 80% course load. Any way to change that now that I submitted my application?
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Jun 13, 2013
20 posts
4 upvotes
geokilla wrote: For my OSAP I said I am taking 80% course load. Any way to change that now that I submitted my application?
Go to your registrars office and they will tell you what to do.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
699 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Penelooo wrote: Go to your registrars office and they will tell you what to do.
It would need to be your financial aid office. But 80% is still considered a full course load, so I'm not sure if it would make any difference if you're staying above the threshold.
Feb 24, 2013
577 posts
111 upvotes
none of your busines…
Got a letter from OSAP that the income I reported for last year and what they assessed from CRA was different. I failed to include scholarships, grants and bursaries for my estimated income. I dont plan on taking OSAP anymore, but I will be applying for Ontario Student Opportunity Grant, so what should I do?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
DealSeeker3000 wrote: Got a letter from OSAP that the income I reported for last year and what they assessed from CRA was different. I failed to include scholarships, grants and bursaries for my estimated income. I dont plan on taking OSAP anymore, but I will be applying for Ontario Student Opportunity Grant, so what should I do?
If you're talking about 2012-2013 OSOG, you'll need to deal with your assessment first (especially if you were overpaid).

If you're talking about 2013-2014 OSOG, I believe you need to have OSAP in 2013-2014 to get OSOG in 2013-2014.
Feb 24, 2013
577 posts
111 upvotes
none of your busines…
joepoonie wrote: If you're talking about 2012-2013 OSOG, you'll need to deal with your assessment first (especially if you were overpaid).

If you're talking about 2013-2014 OSOG, I believe you need to have OSAP in 2013-2014 to get OSOG in 2013-2014.
I'm talking about 2012-2013 OSOG. How do I deal with assessment and what happens if I choose to ignore it?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
DealSeeker3000 wrote: I'm talking about 2012-2013 OSOG. How do I deal with assessment and what happens if I choose to ignore it?
It's pretty obvious. If you need to pay OSAP back because they gave you too much, then you need to pay them back. It's pretty simple. If you do owe them money and you choose not to pay them back, they won't give you OSOG.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7741 posts
399 upvotes
Scarborough
My OSOG was $448. Thanks Government of Ontario, you penny pinching *Blllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
I applied OSAP last week, when i checked the status this morning, it says errors/missing information; i clicked and entered into details, there is nothing over there, it doesn't tell me what is the error and how to correct it.

anyone has any idea what is going on there? I am attending UTSC BTW.

thanks
Jun 13, 2013
20 posts
4 upvotes
ghnboy wrote: I applied OSAP last week, when i checked the status this morning, it says errors/missing information; i clicked and entered into details, there is nothing over there, it doesn't tell me what is the error and how to correct it.

anyone has any idea what is going on there? I am attending UTSC BTW.

thanks
Technical error maybe? Anyway you should go to the registrars office/Finaid and tell them. Also the ministry will send you a letter soon stating what the problem is.
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Penelooo wrote: Technical error maybe? Anyway you should go to the registrars office/Finaid and tell them. Also the ministry will send you a letter soon stating what the problem is.
i went through all the info that i filled in the application, there is no mistake unless they have question regarding to my vehicle again. i put the market value this year(which i got it from the blackbook), instead of the price i paid last year.