Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Permah wrote: Anyone receive OSAP confirmation yet?
you mean school confirm enrolment? My school hasn't confirmed enrolment yet for summer semester.
Mar 10, 2012
922 posts
547 upvotes
ghnboy wrote: you mean school confirm enrolment? My school hasn't confirmed enrolment yet for summer semester.
OSAP website just shows "Submitted on May 5th" for me. It says to please check back in Mid-May.
Sep 24, 2006
988 posts
201 upvotes
Collingwood
ive received about 30k of osap so far including grants over last 4 years. If i repay about 4000$ this summer, will this make me get less in the fall?

Enless I just wait to repay it after i receive it in october? but they always split it into two disbursements one in January.

thanks.
Jul 8, 2012
13 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Permah wrote: OSAP website just shows "Submitted on May 5th" for me. It says to please check back in Mid-May.
Same.
Sep 17, 2007
61 posts
3 upvotes
Guelph
OSAP website updated my file, says that my summer funding has been released. Has to have been in the last few hours. In my experience, the funding has often already been released for a while before the website actually updates.
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Panopticism wrote: OSAP website updated my file, says that my summer funding has been released. Has to have been in the last few hours. In my experience, the funding has often already been released for a while before the website actually updates.
which school are you in? UofT still hasn't confirmed the enrolment yet/
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2924 posts
1908 upvotes
Moon
Hey guys, I am in my third and final year (the course is 3 years) studying overseas. So what happen was i forgot to update my year 1 income during year 2 and the income difference was massive as i was not sure how much money i would earn. The money was deposited in my account automatically thus a quickly transferred it to my overseas account. First I got in trouble with the provincial level, and the ministry came after me. I explained my case and the department was understanding as I had shown a reasonable amount honesty. I could have easily not file my overseas income but i decide it was the right thing to do since i was getting OSAP.

However a few weeks ago i received mail in my Canadian address, and it requested for the same type of infomation that the ministry wanted. After sumbitting pretty much all my income payslips in the last two years. I received a letter stating that I was not eligible for funding anymore (for my final year) and I had received a 1 year ban from OSAP as well after graduation. This is really bad for me as I was looking to further my studies right after to try and get a higher income job to pay off these debts. Can i appeal this decision? and I thought the ministry was a higher power than OSAP itself. and what would u guys recommend for me to do in this situation.

I am trying this as quick as I can so thanks for ignoring my grammatical error.

Kind regards,
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
kangarooz wrote: Hey guys, I am in my third and final year (the course is 3 years) studying overseas. So what happen was i forgot to update my year 1 income during year 2 and the income difference was massive as i was not sure how much money i would earn. The money was deposited in my account automatically thus a quickly transferred it to my overseas account. First I got in trouble with the provincial level, and the ministry came after me. I explained my case and the department was understanding as I had shown a reasonable amount honesty. I could have easily not file my overseas income but i decide it was the right thing to do since i was getting OSAP.

However a few weeks ago i received mail in my Canadian address, and it requested for the same type of infomation that the ministry wanted. After sumbitting pretty much all my income payslips in the last two years. I received a letter stating that I was not eligible for funding anymore (for my final year) and I had received a 1 year ban from OSAP as well after graduation. This is really bad for me as I was looking to further my studies right after to try and get a higher income job to pay off these debts. Can i appeal this decision? and I thought the ministry was a higher power than OSAP itself. and what would u guys recommend for me to do in this situation.

I am trying this as quick as I can so thanks for ignoring my grammatical error.

Kind regards,
OSAP is need based, and based on what you have written, it's pretty obvious OSAP believes you either (1) have lied twice about how much money you make or (2) that you make too much money to be eligible for OSAP.

The first time last year, you were put on probation for not accurately showing your income. You got a warning. And now, you've probably done the same thing once again. Second strike is an automatic one year ban.

Likelyhood of you getting a successful appeal is less than 5% -> I've never heard of someone appealing successfully.

BTW, in another thread, you mention that some immediate family members work for OSAP -> you should have aksed them for advice prior to putting in false information.
Aug 27, 2012
389 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
is there anyone in UTSC got there money? mine still shows that school needs to confirm enrolment.
Jul 6, 2010
176 posts
176 upvotes
ON
I left school toward the end of March because I got what is pretty much my dream job.

The school had my status marked as "Not Returning" at the end of the semester because I failed too many classes (I just stopped going).

For some reason I received OSAP for the next term still. I am pretty weak when it comes to money and used most of it to pay off some outstanding bills and just generally buy some things I wanted. I know this is stupid and irresponsible, so none of that please.

Today I received a letter from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities informing me that my OSAP funding had already been released to my bank account (duh, that was like 20 days ago, little slow on the draw there) and that it is "your responsibility to return the funds" (exact wording).

My question is, since I don't have the funds to return all the money to them immediately, will I receive any sort of penalty other than to have to pay the money back with interest?

Thanks
May 22, 2014
2 posts
i am on a 3 year program just finished 2nd year currently moving on to the 3rd year. i recently submited my osap and i assumed i had to mail in another msfaa but when i clicked on printed documents it says no documents are required. why is it like that?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
dissentience wrote: I left school toward the end of March because I got what is pretty much my dream job.

The school had my status marked as "Not Returning" at the end of the semester because I failed too many classes (I just stopped going).

For some reason I received OSAP for the next term still. I am pretty weak when it comes to money and used most of it to pay off some outstanding bills and just generally buy some things I wanted. I know this is stupid and irresponsible, so none of that please.

Today I received a letter from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities informing me that my OSAP funding had already been released to my bank account (duh, that was like 20 days ago, little slow on the draw there) and that it is "your responsibility to return the funds" (exact wording).

My question is, since I don't have the funds to return all the money to them immediately, will I receive any sort of penalty other than to have to pay the money back with interest?

Thanks
You'll be forced to pay it back with interest.
Jun 3, 2013
53 posts
10 upvotes
AT100000 wrote: i am on a 3 year program just finished 2nd year currently moving on to the 3rd year. i recently submited my osap and i assumed i had to mail in another msfaa but when i clicked on printed documents it says no documents are required. why is it like that?
"You sign a student loan agreement once for your "lifetime". It outlines all of the terms and conditions for both federal and provincial funding. This agreement is called the "Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)"."
May 22, 2014
2 posts
yougotmail wrote: "You sign a student loan agreement once for your "lifetime". It outlines all of the terms and conditions for both federal and provincial funding. This agreement is called the "Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)"."
sorry about that what i meant was the signatures on the sheets about the family income and the parents signature sheets which i had to hand in for my last 2 years but for the 2014-2015 it says i don't require documentation which concerns me on why.
Sep 24, 2006
988 posts
201 upvotes
Collingwood
ive received about 30k of osap so far including grants over last 4 years. If i repay about 4000$ this summer, will this make me get less in the fall?

Enless I just wait to repay it after i receive it in october? but they always split it into two disbursements one in January.

thanks.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
staffpro wrote: ive received about 30k of osap so far including grants over last 4 years. If i repay about 4000$ this summer, will this make me get less in the fall?

thanks.
They will take the $4000 that you have into account as that is an asset. So if you decide to pay OSAP off, you may also get less OSAP for next year as well.
Sep 24, 2006
988 posts
201 upvotes
Collingwood
joepoonie wrote: They will take the $4000 that you have into account as that is an asset. So if you decide to pay OSAP off, you may also get less OSAP for next year as well.
Its my last year though, so next year is irrelevant to me, and why would it count as an asset I am paying down loan balance.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
staffpro wrote: Its my last year though, so next year is irrelevant to me, and why would it count as an asset I am paying down loan balance.
Because they will take the $4000 as an asset that you could have used to pay for your tuition.

BTW, I meant next year as September, not next year as in September 2015.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22691 posts
3682 upvotes
joepoonie wrote: Because they will take the $4000 as an asset that you could have used to pay for your tuition.

BTW, I meant next year as September, not next year as in September 2015.
joepoonie wrote: They will take the $4000 that you have into account as that is an asset. So if you decide to pay OSAP off, you may also get less OSAP for next year as well.
Not necessarily. If that $4k is previous years OSAP money, it is not considered an asset. If you have even semi-regular cash-flow its going to be hard to determine if it is in fact a previous loan.
Banned
Jan 15, 2014
43 posts
do grants that osap give you always go directly into your bank account or do they use for to help pay off your tuition