Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
soapaddict wrote: do grants that osap give you always go directly into your bank account or do they use for to help pay off your tuition
Your university is always paid in full before you receive any money in your bank account.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
699 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
CWatson87 wrote: Your university is always paid in full before you receive any money in your bank account.
That's not true. You can choose for them to pay your tuition directly, or have it deposited into your bank account directly. You have this option when you apply for it. I have OSAP deposit it into my account so I can pay my tuition manually.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
OriginalPoster wrote: Where would I get the tuition, books and other fees for the 2014/2015 year or would it be safe to use the 2013/2014 year (the one that just ended)
University materials should already have those fees published for the upcoming year. If not, then use the 2013-2014 figures.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Not necessarily. If that $4k is previous years OSAP money, it is not considered an asset. If you have even semi-regular cash-flow its going to be hard to determine if it is in fact a previous loan.
How would OSAP be able to know that the 4k in money is from them last year? The chances of them accepting that the money came from the previous year would take some explanation and hope that they would listen.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22691 posts
3682 upvotes
joepoonie wrote: How would OSAP be able to know that the 4k in money is from them last year? The chances of them accepting that the money came from the previous year would take some explanation and hope that they would listen.
Its up to the student to prove where the money came from.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Its up to the student to prove where the money came from.
And that's why it could easily affect his OSAP - the length of time it would take him to convince OSAP that it was legitimate would be so long that he'd never see the money.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22691 posts
3682 upvotes
joepoonie wrote: And that's why it could easily affect his OSAP - the length of time it would take him to convince OSAP that it was legitimate would be so long that he'd never see the money.
Not following your logic. There are only two cases:
1) The $4k is not previous OSAP funding and will therefore be recognized as an asset, possibly reducing funding for this year.
2) The $4k is previous OSAP funding and will not affect current year funding.

Outstanding loans are not a consideration for OSAP funding.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Not following your logic. There are only two cases:
1) The $4k is not previous OSAP funding and will therefore be recognized as an asset, possibly reducing funding for this year.
2) The $4k is previous OSAP funding and will not affect current year funding.

Outstanding loans are not a consideration for OSAP funding.
What I meant is say the $4k is previous funding. If OSAP considers it not to be previous funding, you'd lose the amount of funding based on the $4k. By the time you're able to appeal the ruling, you're still out money because you'll have to find a way to cover the loss of funding.

So $4k assets = say, $2,500 funding
So if the funding is pulled, then you'll have to find another way to make up the $2,500 -> take out another loan.
You're out the interest on the $2,500 even if your appeal goes through.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22691 posts
3682 upvotes
joepoonie wrote: What I meant is say the $4k is previous funding. If OSAP considers it not to be previous funding, you'd lose the amount of funding based on the $4k. By the time you're able to appeal the ruling, you're still out money because you'll have to find a way to cover the loss of funding.

So $4k assets = say, $2,500 funding
So if the funding is pulled, then you'll have to find another way to make up the $2,500 -> take out another loan.
You're out the interest on the $2,500 even if your appeal goes through.
Still not following. The outcomes of cases 2 and 3 are essentially the same- you loose the money. In case 2 you had it and it was taken away; in case 3 you just never got it.

1. List as asset, its found to be eligible/no audit: life's good
2. List as asset, found to be ineligible: at worst, pay back the overpayment (assuming this is a second occurrence), otherwise keep the funding.

3. Do not list as asset: do not get incremental funding.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19126 posts
9047 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I am doing an extra year (5th year) at Ryerson University. I just tried applying for OSAP again. What steps do I need to do to apply? It keeps on rejecting my application because it claims I have been out of school for 4 years, as I graduated from high school 4 years ago.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
geokilla wrote: I am doing an extra year (5th year) at Ryerson University. I just tried applying for OSAP again. What steps do I need to do to apply? It keeps on rejecting my application because it claims I have been out of school for 4 years, as I graduated from high school 4 years ago.
You're probably doing the 30% off tuition application. The main application for 2014-2015 is the one you should be applying.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19126 posts
9047 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
dragon_drift wrote: You're probably doing the 30% off tuition application. The main application for 2014-2015 is the one you should be applying.
I was doing the main application.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Nov 11, 2013
15 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I applied for the 2014/2015 year and clicked view estimate and saw:

[QUOTE]Loan and grant funding: $12,300
30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant: $1,780
Total Funding $14,080[/QUOTE]

I was just curious on what others are potentially receiving? Is 14k the max amount OSAP can give or could it exceed this?
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
OriginalPoster wrote: I applied for the 2014/2015 year and clicked view estimate and saw:

I was just curious on what others are potentially receiving? Is 14k the max amount OSAP can give or could it exceed this?
I believe it can be exceeded. One of my classmates received ~$17k, but she lived in Owen Sound and studied in Oshawa.
Oct 20, 2007
821 posts
414 upvotes
I keep reading about paying off the Federal portion of loans first -- how does one find out how much they owe per federal and provincial loan?

Does one call them to find out, make the payment, then call to make sure it went to federal ..or is this online somewhere? I didn't see anything on the NSLSC page.

I am in the 6 month grace period but this building interest is killing me! Thanks in advance
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
minttea wrote: I keep reading about paying off the Federal portion of loans first -- how does one find out how much they owe per federal and provincial loan?

Does one call them to find out, make the payment, then call to make sure it went to federal ..or is this online somewhere? I didn't see anything on the NSLSC page.

I am in the 6 month grace period but this building interest is killing me! Thanks in advance
Yes it's online on the NSLSC website. I don't think you can "pay off" one part first then the other part.
Mar 29, 2011
825 posts
68 upvotes
I'm going to be finishing my courses and OSAP is going to start charging me interest on June 18th. I'm planning on attending a graduate program in January, when I reapply for OSAP for that will the interest I've been charged be erased?
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
millow wrote: I'm going to be finishing my courses and OSAP is going to start charging me interest on June 18th. I'm planning on attending a graduate program in January, when I reapply for OSAP for that will the interest I've been charged be erased?
No, they will charge you the ~6 months of interest on the applicable loan portion.
May 24, 2013
787 posts
284 upvotes
OriginalPoster wrote: I applied for the 2014/2015 year and clicked view estimate and saw:

You can definitely receive more, it really depends on your situation. Parental income, disability, dependents, etc. I know a guy who got just over 20k from osap, absolutely crazy amount. Mind you, he fit into almost every category of need.
May 27, 2014
17 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I need some help

I currently am on academic probation for the summer term OSAP. Ive received my OSAP money this summer aleady. I go to York U and am finishing my last 3 courses and will be graduating this fall no problem.

I've enrolled into college for this fall as well. I have applied for OSAP for the 2014-2015 school year. My OSAP just updated and it says they need an academic progress letter for the 2014-2015 academic term now. How exactly do I write this letter as a student entering my first year in college on academic probation with OSAP due to my university grades?