Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2016 1:09 am
Apr 20, 2012
62 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Guys, I have a quick question, if some one can reply, would be highly appreciated.

1- I need to submit marriage certificate, unfortunately, I don't have one in my hand and getting back from my home country is a huge pain in ****, wondering if some one went through same situation and found an alternative solution to situation?

2- If I get approve for School "A" but doe to some reasons, I want to switch to school "B", is there a way to do that or I would have to stick with school "A" which my OSAP was approved. Just out of curiosity, M I able to change School after I get approved?

3- I have applied for OSAP while my wife is preparing for nursing, soon she gonna apply OSAP as well. Any type of disadvantage on her application?

Thanks guys.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1335 posts
40 upvotes
York Region
Hi,
i have a lump sum coming in.

My hubby and i still have osap 7 years after our graduation (april 2005).
We roughly have $12k for myself and about $10k for my hubby.
We would like to pay it off in one big lump sum and be over with it! finally :)

Can i negotiate a smaller lump sum payment to osap? is that even possible?

any amount will help...We paid soooo much in interest...Would be really good to have $500/month extra into savings.

Thank you for your help as always guys!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1316 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
edkate wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 3:32 pm
Hi,
i have a lump sum coming in.

My hubby and i still have osap 7 years after our graduation (april 2005).
We roughly have $12k for myself and about $10k for my hubby.
We would like to pay it off in one big lump sum and be over with it! finally :)

Can i negotiate a smaller lump sum payment to osap? is that even possible?

any amount will help...We paid soooo much in interest...Would be really good to have $500/month extra into savings.

Thank you for your help as always guys!
Ahaha. No.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1335 posts
40 upvotes
York Region
BryceS wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 7:57 pm
Ahaha. No.

you dont have to be sarcastic, you know> :(
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2006
1221 posts
81 upvotes
So OSAP assessed me to receive $4900 in funding for the Fall term when I applied for Fall only. They released the money and then decided I was only meant to get $2700 and had to pay them back $2200 in October. Now they've decided that they made a mistake and I was meant to get $4900 all along and show it on my assessment. But since they already released the money (and made me pay it back) they won't re-release it and there's no time for appeal since the semester is done in 2 days and I'll be done. I was first thinking to extend my OSAP for next semester, let them pay me and then withdraw once I finish in the first 2 weeks (masters program actually finishes 4 days into next semester) then pay back any extra they gave me. But they will see I'm not registered as a student (and can't register for another semester) so they wouldn't release any funds when they check my status at the start of January.

So am I just screwed? Financial aid office thinks so but I have found that they often don't know all of the possible options. I had to take out a loan from elsewhere to pay for this semester because they made me return that $2200.
Dec 8, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
I haven't received my OSOG for 2011-2012 yet, and I filed my income taxes for 2011 already. Should I be concerned? People I've spoken to have received theirs already, and online on my account it says: The verification of income starts early summer 2012. If eligible the payment of your Ontario Student Opportunity Grant will start in the fall 2012.

My parents income doesn't apply in my case. Should I be concerned? The OSAP office says they're completely random in when they pay it off, but that I am eligible (I received loans well in excess of the $10.995 limit over my 3 terms). Thanks!
Oct 5, 2009
63 posts
can i pay off my osap loan through scotiabank's online website? i tried adding OSAP as a payee but scotia doesnt recognize it as a payee
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
seanm2000 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 11:23 am
I haven't received my OSOG for 2011-2012 yet, and I filed my income taxes for 2011 already. Should I be concerned? People I've spoken to have received theirs already, and online on my account it says: The verification of income starts early summer 2012. If eligible the payment of your Ontario Student Opportunity Grant will start in the fall 2012.

My parents income doesn't apply in my case. Should I be concerned? The OSAP office says they're completely random in when they pay it off, but that I am eligible (I received loans well in excess of the $10.995 limit over my 3 terms). Thanks!
OSOG is paid out a year behind as both tax years need to be filed before it's assessed. That means for the 11/12 school year, you have to file taxes for both 11 and 12 and then it's paid in the fall of 13 as 12 taxes aren't filed till April 13. ;) What was just paid out was for 10/11 school year...... BTW, to be clear it's not paid to you anyway. It's paid to the NSLSC and applied directly to your loan account.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
G4L wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 11:54 am
can i pay off my osap loan through scotiabank's online website? i tried adding OSAP as a payee but scotia doesnt recognize it as a payee
Log into (or create) your account at the National Student Loan Service Center (NSLSC) at www.canlearn.ca The instructions are there on how to pay online through web banking, including your account number. It's not OSAP you are paying, but the NSLSC which is why you aren't finding OSAP as a payee. ;)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Mar 9, 2012
6 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Quick question,

So i have to update my income for OSAP for the semester coming up and I was curious if in the update I have to include my Ontario Trillium Benefit in it. Thank you!
Mar 9, 2012
6 posts
MISSISSAUGA
Thank you! Just curious to ask but could you explain why? I just want to understand since I am not familiar with the system at all.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
mrnothing wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 12:49 am
Thank you! Just curious to ask but could you explain why? I just want to understand since I am not familiar with the system at all.
Read the income reporting section on the OSAP site. Things like Trillium Benefit, tax returns, GST rebate cheques are not income. They are looking for earned income, not tax rebates, etc.
Dec 8, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 12:37 pm
OSOG is paid out a year behind as both tax years need to be filed before it's assessed. That means for the 11/12 school year, you have to file taxes for both 11 and 12 and then it's paid in the fall of 13 as 12 taxes aren't filed till April 13. ;) What was just paid out was for 10/11 school year...... BTW, to be clear it's not paid to you anyway. It's paid to the NSLSC and applied directly to your loan account.
Awesome thanks for your clarification. I was just concerned because it said payment of the 11/12 OSOG starts in Fall 2012 and I hadn't heard anything. I'm done my degree tomorrow actually and I'm going to pay off my OSAP in the next few days to avoid interest, as I've heard they'll just mail me a cheque for the OSOG amount if the loan has been paid off.

Thanks again!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7795 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto
I got my OSOG for the 11-12 year a month or two ago already though lol. But no biggie, you just get a cheque for the OSOG amount if you paid off the loan anyways.
× < >