Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

May 31, 2010
405 posts
22 upvotes
Quick question.

I put on my osap application (not sure why, but that I'm in the 2nd year, its actually 3rd), will this screw me over? I'm doing a 2nd degree, so I was awarded two years worth of credits.
May 31, 2010
405 posts
22 upvotes
You simply write a letter and send it. Be sure to include your latest transcript. Include your name, SIN, on all documentation.
Just make the letter short and sweet. Explain why your marks were low, and what changes you are making to address it. 2-3 paragraphs should do it.
ramo88 wrote: I need some help

I currently am on academic probation for the summer term OSAP. Ive received my OSAP money this summer aleady. I go to York U and am finishing my last 3 courses and will be graduating this fall no problem.

I've enrolled into college for this fall as well. I have applied for OSAP for the 2014-2015 school year. My OSAP just updated and it says they need an academic progress letter for the 2014-2015 academic term now. How exactly do I write this letter as a student entering my first year in college on academic probation with OSAP due to my university grades?
May 27, 2014
17 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
qpalzm wrote: You simply write a letter and send it. Be sure to include your latest transcript. Include your name, SIN, on all documentation.
Just make the letter short and sweet. Explain why your marks were low, and what changes you are making to address it. 2-3 paragraphs should do it.
I get that part, but i'm making the transition from university to college. I have classes at my uni until the end of summer. I need OSAP first week of September. How do I provide a transcript to them if the courses are still going. Also, how do i explain how i'll improve my marks if i'm entering my first year of college? It's a tricky situation because i'm on academic probation for my first year of college, once again based on uni marks.
May 31, 2010
405 posts
22 upvotes
ramo88 wrote: I get that part, but i'm making the transition from university to college. I have classes at my uni until the end of summer. I need OSAP first week of September. How do I provide a transcript to them if the courses are still going. Also, how do i explain how i'll improve my marks if i'm entering my first year of college? It's a tricky situation because i'm on academic probation for my first year of college, once again based on uni marks.
You won't get the funding until your final marks are in and they confirm you passed them. (or at least passed 60%)
They usually work fast at that point, but yeah, you won't get the money early Sept.
Dec 12, 2007
27 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
qpalzm wrote: Quick question.

I put on my osap application (not sure why, but that I'm in the 2nd year, its actually 3rd), will this screw me over? I'm doing a 2nd degree, so I was awarded two years worth of credits.
Write to OSAP (or your financial aid office) and tell them you made a mistake about your year (that you are actually in your 3rd year instead of 2nd).

Last year, my school put me as a 2nd year instead of 3rd and I ended up receiving a letter from OSAP asking me to write an academic progress letter as they thought I repeated a year. It delayed my aid by a month and was only rectified once my school updated my year.
Sep 30, 2013
61 posts
Hey I have a question. I'm going to the UK for my Postgrad and I want to know what I have to fill to tell OSAP that I'm still in school
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19126 posts
9046 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote: I am doing an extra year (5th year) at Ryerson University. I just tried applying for OSAP again. What steps do I need to do to apply? It keeps on rejecting my application because it claims I have been out of school for 4 years, as I graduated from high school 4 years ago.
<br />
<br />

Bump
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
699 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
geokilla wrote: <br />
<br />

Bump
I'd contact the Financial Aid office at Ryerson and they should be able to clear things up for you fairly quickly.
Feb 8, 2009
622 posts
51 upvotes
When applying for OSAP this year and they require you to state your current assets how would income tax returns from like 4 years back be treated if you suddenly receive funds from old income tax returns deposited into your bank account? Are those exempt from being considered assets? Would you suddenly receive some sort of overfunding notice from OSAP in such situations?
Aug 19, 2014
2 posts
Ottawa, ON
Forgive me if this is a stupid question.....but I will be going to an out of province school in Alberta (U of A) in Sept. Should I expect to receive max funding (about $13 000) if I had received the max the year before (at an Ontario school)? Or is there a significant difference in funding between going to an in-province school and out-of-province school? Thanks.
Dec 12, 2007
27 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
nursing87 wrote: Forgive me if this is a stupid question.....but I will be going to an out of province school in Alberta (U of A) in Sept. Should I expect to receive max funding (about $13 000) if I had received the max the year before (at an Ontario school)? Or is there a significant difference in funding between going to an in-province school and out-of-province school? Thanks.
For the loan part, there shouldn't be a significant difference. I attended an out-of-province school for three years and I was able to get 14k each year (max OSAP funding + low income grants). For more information see this page: https://www.ontario.ca/education-and-tr ... mounts-aid.

However, if you're going out-of-province, there are some (in-province) grants that you won't be eligible for (like the 30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant).
Sep 21, 2010
6 posts
Toronto
I have a few quick questions about my OSAP application this year........I'm going into my fifth and final year of university and have applied for OSAP for the past four years. I know that now that I have been out of high school for 4 years I no longer need to provide my parents information on the application. I was just wondering how this will effect how much OSAP I will receive. I come from a low income family on social assistance therefore get enough OSAP every year to cover all my education costs in the first place...will the amount I receive change at all now that parental income is taken out of the equation?
Also, to be able to graduate in June I need to take more than a full course load (3 credits/6 courses instead of 2.5 credits/5 courses) in both the fall and winter semesters........do I need to indicate on my OSAP application that I am taking more than a full course load......if so how do I do that? and will I receive additional OSAP for those extra courses or do they only take into consideration a 100% course load and nothing more?
Dec 12, 2007
27 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
jessicauoft2014 wrote: I have a few quick questions about my OSAP application this year........I'm going into my fifth and final year of university and have applied for OSAP for the past four years. I know that now that I have been out of high school for 4 years I no longer need to provide my parents information on the application. I was just wondering how this will effect how much OSAP I will receive. I come from a low income family on social assistance therefore get enough OSAP every year to cover all my education costs in the first place...will the amount I receive change at all now that parental income is taken out of the equation?
Don't know about the second question but for the first one, they will look at your income only and determine how much to give you. If you were already receiving the max OSAP can give (when parental income was taken into account), if your income is the same or below theirs, it should not change your funding (you'd get the same amount of loans).

Now, if your income is significantly less than your parents' income, you might qualify for additional funding through grants (like the low income grant). But, if you were already receiving these grants before (when parental income was taken into account) then nothing should change (you'd still get them as long as your income is about the same or lower than your parents' income).

I went through the same thing after my 2nd year and I experienced no changes in the amount of funds (loans and grants) I received each year (I got max funding).
Aug 31, 2014
1 posts
I'm transferring from your average, uninteresting four-year (Hons.) program in a boring, nondescript university. The kind of place where the only light in its halls are the crisp white welfare cheques just cashed by the new grads.

The goods news is I'm outta here and starting fresh in fall, another year with me and my cancer, OSAP.

Here's where I have my anxiety attack though: I'm as prone to money problems as the federal government is to housing a nest of dung beetles in its' mouth so when it comes to my student loan, I'm a scrawny starved beggar, waiting for my next meal (aka $$$).

SO MY QUESTION IS: I'm entering a program that has three semesters. I'm totally new to this concept and, more importantly, concerned with how it'll affect my OSAP. I was told today that there's only two disbursements no matter what: %60 in Sept, %40 in Jan.

Will I receive the funding I need for the third semester? Which disbursement will it be included in?
I'm especially nervous because I rent a place so I receive funding for living costs in addition to tuition/fees. Times are tough and I just really need the assurance that I'll be okay.

Thanks all. Xo.
Aug 31, 2006
997 posts
167 upvotes
I applied to college to begiin January 2015, and will need full funding from OSAP, I have no experience with it whatsoever.From other people's stories, they say OSAP is very strict in limiting how much money you can earn before they lower your funding, and that they cut the funding disproportionately. The issue for me is that I don't believe whatever I earn will be sufficient to cover a year of school. I did the aid estimator a while ago based on my life (I made about $6000 this year or less, and have no assets) and it give me the max I think, but it doesn't seem to work for my program anymore so I cannot play with the figures to find out what kind of wage I can earn. Does anyone have an idea how much you can earn before they will cut funding. I am pretty sure I don't qualify for any of the other grants like 30% off.

Before anyone says something, I budgeted and had a lot of money from my job saved up but it's been significantly cut into because of some family circumstances.

I hope someone can help. Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
vanessie wrote: I applied to college to begiin January 2015, and will need full funding from OSAP, I have no experience with it whatsoever.From other people's stories, they say OSAP is very strict in limiting how much money you can earn before they lower your funding, and that they cut the funding disproportionately. The issue for me is that I don't believe whatever I earn will be sufficient to cover a year of school. I did the aid estimator a while ago based on my life (I made about $6000 this year or less, and have no assets) and it give me the max I think, but it doesn't seem to work for my program anymore so I cannot play with the figures to find out what kind of wage I can earn. Does anyone have an idea how much you can earn before they will cut funding. I am pretty sure I don't qualify for any of the other grants like 30% off.

Before anyone says something, I budgeted and had a lot of money from my job saved up but it's been significantly cut into because of some family circumstances.

I hope someone can help. Thanks
You're allowed $110 a week I believe before you get reduced funding from OSAP.
May 2, 2012
4 posts
1 upvote
guelph
Question- I was on OSAP for 2008-09; 2009-10; 2010-11 (Undergraduate degree), and 2011-2012; 2012-2013 (Graduate degree).
I started my job hunt before graduation and still, to this day, I am not employed. I tried in my field, and then lowered my expectations day by day... even the local grocery store won't hire me. They think it's best to laugh at me when I tell them, No I'm not still in high school...
I applied for interest relief and it's good from March 2014-August 31, 2014.
Anyway, because of this stressful and frustrating job hunt I decided to apply for a 1 year college program that will give me some decent employable skills in my field, along with networking opportunities in the city I am trying to find work in... AND upon graduation I can take the professional exam for this field to become certified in it.
I applied for the program, knowing the only way this will work is if I get funding, I've got nothing. I have a few online contracts that pay a little... grocery money basically, so I'm limited in my ability to make miracles happen. So... I was put on the waitlist, and now I find out I've been accepted. Everything was all rainbows and butterflies until I got an email from OSAP about my application.

The status says:
"Your application is on hold because you have been restricted from receiving OSAP. Review the items listed under Checklist for details. If you plan to continue your full-time studies and have previous loans you must ensure that they are placed into interest-free status so that you do not have to repay the loans and interest while you are in school."

I have looked at their list and I think it's because I am on interest relief. Has anyone had this happen before, if so, what did you do?
I can't go off interest relief. I can't afford the 611/month payments if I am going to be going back to school (save up for 1st/last rent, moving, etc). Then again, I wonder, if I stay on this interest relief, does that mean my application is held until Sept 1, 2014... and then it's super delayed? Because that would be a BIG BIG problem.

I have 1 week to confirm the offer of acceptance. Tuition is due mid July..or is deferred until Sept if you are paying with OSAP. My spouse is working on his master's degree (thesis work), so we're both pretty useless in the income department.

I have no idea what to do. I didn't want to go back to school... it makes me SO angry that my interview feedback sounds like a broken record of you have great education, but lack experience...work awhile at the bottom to gain some more years and then reapply. I'm not that much of a spring chicken, I'm 29. I'd rather be employed right now, but it hasn't happened. I've worked with recruiters and employment counselors, I volunteered in areas to gain more skills.. but nothing.

It's not like I haven't ever been employed before. I worked all through university, I had a graduate practicum placement in a government office, and I have great references.
I'm rambling now...so I better post this before I ramble more.

----
*update*
I've learned what the restriction is. Apparently, I had an overpayment in the 2012-2013 year. To get OSAP for this new program, I need to payback $5790...to which I say.. if I had that, I wouldn't have applied for OSAP in the first place.
The financial aid worker at the college was surprised I hadn't received information about this restriction (Nothing...we had moved but I got all of our mailed forwarded here, along with updating the addresses on everything 30 days prior to the move).
She's mailing me a copy of this restriction info for my records.
I don't understand it at all. I underestimated my 2012 income on my application for 2012-2013 year by $435. I overestimated my 2013 (jan to apr) income by $1200.

OSAP is so frustrating!for 2013 I made $4651 and my spouse made $1122. We're not made of money. The financial aid worker asked about the possibility of funding it myself (ummm...why am I calling again???), if my parents could help (my dad passed away, my mom's on disability.... family's always been financial barely comfortable), or a LOC (had one, cosigned with my dad, paid off when he died, need a cosigner..don't have one).

So it looks like this dream is a no-go. Very disappointing! Wish there was help out there for people who need assistance finding, and securing their FIRST careers (Second Career? I wish).

*update*
Ughh... this is my error. I have figured out what it is!
On my OSAP application for my graduate program, it listed the program length as 2 years (6 terms). Osap divided up the funding for the year (3 terms) and paid it out over 2 terms (sept & jan). In my undergrad, I applied for funding for summer courses I took, so I assumed (stupidly) that this was the same thing. I did not realize this at all...so when I graduated after 5 terms...earlier than OSAP's 2 year program length, I had an overpayment for the term (summer 2013). I did the math and it's exactly correct, $5790. This sucks!
My head was definitely somewhere else during all that time time, my dad was diagnosed with cancer during my 1st year at grad school, and my mom ended up in a stroke rehab facility. He passed away days before I started the second year of my program and I was determined to finish it ASAP, so I wanted to be finished in April and not in August. Stupid me!
May 24, 2013
787 posts
284 upvotes
Hello,

This fall, I have the option of going full time (3 classes) or part time (2 classes). I only have two classes left to take before I graduate, however, I have read that my OSAP funding will significantly decrease. I was thinking of retaking a class to increase my mark, which will bring me to full time. Is there a significant funding difference in these two scenarios?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)