Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Oct 18, 2012
90 posts
8 upvotes
can anyone help with the definition of RESP on the excluded assets section? I have some money saved in a RESP account for my daughter. Those are excluded from asset calculations right?
Aug 24, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Does anybody know if OSAP funds previously passed courses? My situation is I need a few more courses to graduate because I didn't do them earlier and I want to retake courses so I can be a full time student, upgrade my gpa to get into the degree program and so I can play sports. Would osap help with this?
Aug 24, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Does anybody know if osap funds you if you want to retake courses?
My current situation is my osap was for 2 years and I dropped some courses so I didn't graduate on time. I need a few more courses to complete my program and I want to retake some courses so I can be a full time student, upgrade my gpa so I can get into the degree program and so I could play sports. I talked to the financial aid office and they said I should be fine and I applied for osap again, now my account is on hold saying "school will provide costs of program electronically". Does this does mean once my school sends my schedule it'll be approved and I will receive funding?
Jan 1, 2011
133 posts
5 upvotes
How often does OSAP get reassessed?

Mine got reduced because I had 3 courses for fall because I dropped a placeholder course in case I couldn't get into a special course (I have to wait to get enrolled manually by my school for that special course).
I stated a 80% course load on the app.
I've enrolled in another course to have 4 course until I get enrolled in that special course.

My fall portion got issued to my bank already.
May 24, 2013
787 posts
284 upvotes
4thQuarter wrote: Does anybody know if osap funds you if you want to retake courses?
My current situation is my osap was for 2 years and I dropped some courses so I didn't graduate on time. I need a few more courses to complete my program and I want to retake some courses so I can be a full time student, upgrade my gpa so I can get into the degree program and so I could play sports. I talked to the financial aid office and they said I should be fine and I applied for osap again, now my account is on hold saying "school will provide costs of program electronically". Does this does mean once my school sends my schedule it'll be approved and I will receive funding?
I'm doing the exact same thing. I took an extra class (a class I had already passed) because I wanted to stay in full time status. OSAP will fund the class, and you will get "full-time" OSAP. Smart move on you. Way to not switch to part time aka have interest accumulate. After all, there's no harm in increased funding while simultaneously raising a grade!
Aug 24, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
theBasher91 wrote: I'm doing the exact same thing. I took an extra class (a class I had already passed) because I wanted to stay in full time status. OSAP will fund the class, and you will get "full-time" OSAP. Smart move on you. Way to not switch to part time aka have interest accumulate. After all, there's no harm in increased funding while simultaneously raising a grade!
Thanks man, this is a huge stress reliever, you replied just in time. I'm on my way to the school now to talk to my program coordinator, Thanks again
Feb 4, 2014
62 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
When I applied for OSAP I stated that I will have an 80% course load this year but actually now want a 100% is there a way to change this in your application (I already sent all the required documents)
May 24, 2013
787 posts
284 upvotes
meiisme wrote: When I applied for OSAP I stated that I will have an 80% course load this year but actually now want a 100% is there a way to change this in your application (I already sent all the required documents)
Based on facts from my University, 80% course load and 100% course load actually cost the same amount (since they're both full time). OSAP funding shouldn't change, even if you change your course load. All they care about is if you move from full time to part time, or part time to full time. In your case, since you were at 80% and now you want to change to 100%, it shouldn't really matter since they both classify as full time.
Nov 5, 2012
8 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Hi,

Did anyone get the 2013-2014 ontario student opportunities grant yet? I haven't receive anything but my friend said she got it already.
I was doing my fifth year in univeristy. I took 5 courses in fall and 3 courses in winter.

What number should I call for this information because I left school already.
Aug 24, 2014
87 posts
27 upvotes
darkpiggy wrote: Hi,

Did anyone get the 2013-2014 ontario student opportunities grant yet? I haven't receive anything but my friend said she got it already.
I was doing my fifth year in univeristy. I took 5 courses in fall and 3 courses in winter.

You can still contact your school's financial aid office for this information. Their contact information should be listed on your school's website.
May 24, 2013
787 posts
284 upvotes
Can you actually "receive" an OSOG? I thought that was just a number that brought down your owing to $7300 (assuming you did a two semester year).
Aug 24, 2014
87 posts
27 upvotes
Yeah but I think it changes if you take summer school. I'm also not sure if everyone gets OSOG.
May 24, 2013
787 posts
284 upvotes
Upon further reading regarding OSOG:

[QUOTE]How and When to Apply:
You do not apply directly for this grant. You are automatically considered through your 20xx-20xx OSAP Application for Full-Time Students.
Deadlines:
As you are considered for OSOG based on your 20xx-20xx OSAP Application for Full-Time Students, check out the deadlines for that program.
You should also know:
To be considered for OSOG, you must file your taxes. Also, OSOG is not paid directly to you. If you are eligible, your grant will be sent directly to the NSLSC to pay the Ontario portion of your Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan.[/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
darkpiggy wrote: Hi,

Your friend is mistaken. OSOG for 13/14 is assessed in 15 as both tax years (13 & 14) need to be filed first.... It's always a year behind due to the tax filing requirement.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Feb 19, 2011
215 posts
24 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote: Which estimator? The estimator tool on the OSAP site is only as accurate as the info inputted and does not have school info up to date until the schools submit it... The only estimate that is generally pretty darn close is the one given when submitting the app itself. But again, only if everything else is accurate. When verified estimates can change if info isn't accurate.
So the info is definitely accurate, which I triple checked. In fact, the OSAP main page says it covers tuition and books for 85% of students, and it doesn't even cover that for me. I tried contacting my university financial aid office, and after waiting on hold for an hour I was told that it is what it is, and when I asked for more info they hung up on me, so that seems like a dead end. Is there anything else I can do?
Jul 9, 2014
128 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
When does OSAP start depositing the money to be able to pay off the first term?
Aug 24, 2014
87 posts
27 upvotes
thedoctorr wrote: When does OSAP start depositing the money to be able to pay off the first term?
The date varies because it depends when your school confirms your enrollment/if you have provided all the required documents. If everything is clear, it usually takes 4 - 10 business to deposit the money to your school and your bank account.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4508 posts
699 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
thedoctorr wrote: When does OSAP start depositing the money to be able to pay off the first term?
My funding summary says it will be released on Sept 2.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)