Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Jan 8, 2009
937 posts
656 upvotes
Simcoe County
QadeerP4208 wrote: Is it possible somehow my application is being processed speedily or do you think im still in for the long run ?
I would not count on your application being processed in time to cover the items needed. If all that is left is the confirmation of enrollment then that's a good sign but that won't happen until school actually starts. Can you cover the items yourself until your OSAP arrives? If not, I would contact the school's financial office and explain your situation. They may have a bursary you're eligible for or even a short-term loan sort of thing you can apply for while waiting.
Aug 31, 2018
2 posts
I am trying to borrow some money from family / friends to help me purchase atleast some of the things required( namely a high end laptop) I intend to speak to the financial aid officer on Tuesday to see what can be done. Thanks for the advice :)
Sep 6, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
Hello,
Im in my 2nd year & applied for OSAP in July & allI had to submit were my children's birth certs so I did & it says the date they were submitted, & then a couple weeks ago I got a message saying my funding was calculated & that I can expect the payment between Sept 7 & 11 & so I checked my status recently & it says my OSAP says that is on hold because I need to submit documents & gives me the option to click to see what documents I need. Then I do so, & it says I have no documents I need to submit. So its super confusing & I tried to reach Finacial Aid at the school but its so busy with school starting that the phone is always busy signal or no answer or your on hold for hours. Anyone else have this message on their status?
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
Hello,
How often does OSAP pay out with delay usually?
Before I got my OSAP in the begging if September.

Now even my school did not make any confirmation.

I send an email -I got an automatic message to wait 10 - 15 business days.

On NSLSC:
Important Notice
September Funding Update

You should expect to receive your funds 4-6 business days after your studies start. We will send an email to your online secure inbox once your funding has been released. If there are any issues with your disbursement, we will contact you.
???

It is our new government is trying to save some money or....?

Thank you
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Feb 24, 2018
967 posts
687 upvotes
Same problem, I've been waiting for my school to confirm enrollment and it's been on the same status for weeks.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
2233 posts
1021 upvotes
Funds haven't been released yet.
Also noticed this message in the funding page.
This year, OSAP funding will automatically be sent to the school you’re attending, and if there is any remaining funding, it will be deposited directly into your bank account.
Sad, can't pay for tuition myself through plastiq anymore.
Sep 19, 2018
1 posts
Hi Guys,
I applied for OSAP on September-8th and documents were sent OSAP through my college on September 10th. I am seeing status like "Funding can not be calculated because documents are not yet received". May I know when this will change ? Any how long does it take for OSAP to provide funding from applying OSAP(Anybody have timeline) ?
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
rnanndrews wrote: Hi Guys,
I applied for OSAP on September-8th and documents were sent OSAP through my college on September 10th. I am seeing status like "Funding can not be calculated because documents are not yet received". May I know when this will change ? Any how long does it take for OSAP to provide funding from applying OSAP(Anybody have timeline) ?
up to 6 weeks to wait.
Now they are so busy.
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8476 posts
6210 upvotes
Why NSLSN started charging interest when my daughter still in school? Is it because she did not get anything from OSAP this year ($0) so they think she finished school and started charging interest? She will call them later today to straighten it out. As long as she is still in school she should still get interest free on the loan right?
Aug 25, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
Hi

I am an adult learner and received OSAP recently. I also receive grant as I have family and 3 kids. I would like to know if it is Oke to put money I received from governemnt into Saving Account.
Aug 25, 2018
9 posts
1 upvote
MasterPro wrote: up to 6 weeks to wait.
Now they are so busy.
I don'/)t know if you hear from them or not. The best way to speed up the process talk to Financial advisor at your school and take your all original document, which needs to be uploaded into your OSAP account. Besides uploading your documents financial advisor have an authority to verify your documents.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8476 posts
6210 upvotes
Hi,
Does anyone know if interest accidentally charged during grace period can be reverted? My daughter still in school and she will have 3 more years of post grad. She applied for OSAP and normally her student status would get updated. This time, she did not get any funding (not even loan) due to some large scholarship she received. So her status never got updated. She also called her school and they said they would submit her status immediately (which was more than 2 weeks ago) and till this day, the interest keeps piling up. She called NSLSN yesterday and they claimed "too bad, you should have updated us. Now nothing you can do and just wait for school to update your status. In the meantime, interest is not reversible". Rep was very rude and unfriendly. My question is, is it true that interest is not reversible? she is in school all this time but they are charging interest. Anyone knows the answer or has similar experience before?

Update: Rep was not just rude but totally wrong. After my daughter decided to pay off the entire loan + interest because she didn't know if her school status would ever get updated by her school or not. well today (after more than 3 weeks), her account has now a surplus of ~$280 as the interest was disappeared from her account. Now she doesn't know what to do with the extra money in there :(
Last edited by mkl38s on Oct 18th, 2018 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 16, 2018
2 posts
I have a question in regards to buying a vehicle while under loan.

I am a full adult (out of high school 4 years+)

If I was to get a loan of 10-15k and buy a used vehicle, can it impact my OSAP funding greatly?
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1427 posts
847 upvotes
GTA
kgozi66694641481 wrote: I have a question in regards to buying a vehicle while under loan.

I am a full adult (out of high school 4 years+)

If I was to get a loan of 10-15k and buy a used vehicle, can it impact my OSAP funding greatly?
it would be considered an asset so probably yes. you might not get loans as they expect you to sell cars and such too fund education
Fido Customer - $24/30 GB for 10 mths then $29/30GB
Oct 22, 2017
4 posts
I graduated in Dec 2017, but still haven't received my OSOG yet. Anyone in the same boat?
Nov 19, 2018
3 posts
Hello,
I have a question guys, right now I've been granted by OSAP for the whole year, which started this September(fall term); but I changed my mind and planning to stop midway like just finish this first sem and not countinue the 2nd sem(winter). Would it affect my loan? What's going to happen to that remaining balance to be paid for the school? Did any of you guys had been in this situation? Will wait for your reply... Thanks
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1427 posts
847 upvotes
GTA
PierreJ79870 wrote: Hello,
I have a question guys, right now I've been granted by OSAP for the whole year, which started this September(fall term); but I changed my mind and planning to stop midway like just finish this first sem and not countinue the 2nd sem(winter). Would it affect my loan? What's going to happen to that remaining balance to be paid for the school? Did any of you guys had been in this situation? Will wait for your reply... Thanks
You will owe the money immediately. You won't get the money for the second semester or will have to pay it back immediately once you receive it depending on when OSAP finds out youre not doing a second semester.

But also just call your financial aid office or OSAP they would have official advice vs random people on the internet who do not have final say with regards to your loans and its silly to wait for our response when you can just call OSAP
Nov 19, 2018
3 posts
But let say if, I’ll go to another school and take that program would I be able to use that remaining fund that supposed to be for that 2nd sem? That I’m withdrawing from...
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1427 posts
847 upvotes
GTA
PierreJ79870 wrote: But let say if, I’ll go to another school and take that program would I be able to use that remaining fund that supposed to be for that 2nd sem? That I’m withdrawing from...
Again that’s a very specific question that you should be asking osap for. Imo I would imagine they would want to reasses your program since it is different from the one you’re currently in. What happens to the money in between that assessment I have no idea. Again call osap and just ask them. Hypotheticallly even if you’re worried.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)