Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Jan 25, 2008
172 posts
6 upvotes
Paid off osap. When does it stop saying "in repayment" on the national student loans website?
Dec 23, 2008
783 posts
56 upvotes
Guelph
I paid of my OSAP loans in 2014 during RAP. I had around $300 interest but my income tax receipt does not reflect that, in fact my tax receipt is less than $1. Called NSLC, and the rep said only payments made before/after RAP are reflected on the income tax receipts, I just wanted to make sure is that true?
Dec 28, 2011
641 posts
124 upvotes
Midland
how much can someone qualify for summer osap. Full time
Apr 6, 2016
5 posts
Question: I applied for RAP but now considering going back to school for next intake or next year, will I get approved for OSAP again? Or will I not considering I applied for RAP.

I couldn't get a job with my first degree so I'm hoping to get a diploma next instead. Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks.
Jan 31, 2016
51 posts
11 upvotes
Thorold, ON
Energie11 wrote:
Apr 12th, 2016 7:42 pm
how much can someone qualify for summer osap. Full time
In my experience, I received about as much as a normal Fall/Winter term.

Does starting to pay off your OSAP affect your eligibility for future funding? I want to start paying mine off with the CanTire Options MC (free set of tires or toilet paper for life...) since my credit limit is only $500 and I never want to pay any interest.
Can confirm, CIBC is garbage. Barely worth the $300.
Apr 24, 2016
1 posts
Okay I need help. I'm currently studying in the US and I need to make sure I get this application right.

I am starting my university program next month, May 2016. I will be entering as a 3rd year student as I already attended community college for the last two years. My first year at the university will end next April 2017, and then I will begin my second and final year of the program May 2017. I will graduate the following year, May 2018. Does that make sense?

I'm reading on the OSAP site however that applying for May 2016 puts me in the 2015-2016 application. It says OSAP begins a new year in August of 2016 (the 2016-2017 term). I am getting very confused, since they consider an academic year to start in the fall, but I am starting my program in the Summer semester.

Do I apply for just this semester (May 2016-August 2016)? And then do a new application for the 2016-2017 year in August?

Or do I apply for the entire year May 2016-2017 on the 2015-2016 application??

No one at my financial aid office is familiar with OSAP as its a US school so I'm on my own. Apparently I'm smart enough to get into university but not smart enough to figure out OSAP lol.

Also, I am a full time student by my university's standards (I'll be taking 9 units per semester for the spring/summer/fall semesters for both years of the program). What percent do I put for % of full course load? 100%? Not sure what Canada considers a "unit" or "full time"
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2012
1934 posts
292 upvotes
Need a bit of help RFDers.

I have a gross income of $1xx,xxx from business but my net income is negative, as a loss was filed (self employed business).

I have applied for a part time OSAP loan for the summer (taking 1 class around $1000 fees+books+transportation). It is an online course, have to come in for the final exam.

What are my chances of being approved? Can I hand in page 1 and 2 of my T1 general as proof of income? I haven't received my NOA yet.

In terms of the transcript they are asking for (I applied last year summer when income was $0 for part time), do I have to send an official transcript to my financial aid office?

Thank you.
Oct 4, 2012
128 posts
3 upvotes
Vaughan
I originally planned on taking 3 courses in the summer term, considered 60% course load, and thus submitted a full-time osap application. I have already received my notice of assessment in the mail, but I've recently changed my mind and am taking 2 courses instead. Since I'm only taking 2 courses, which is 40% course load, I'm no longer eligible for full-time osap and must change my application for part-time. What's the correct way to change this?

Should I cancel my full-time application on the osap website and submit a part-time application?

or

Should I contact my student financial aid office to report the changes to my current application?
Mar 30, 2016
18 posts
Have anyone ever experienced this, or know the procedures after withdrew from the program?
Mar 26, 2013
278 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
i just completed my OSAP for 2016-2017 school year but i estimated wrong how much i would be making from may-august i will be leaving ontario to BC for school as well. How can i fix this? thanks
Feb 5, 2011
183 posts
8 upvotes
Hello, I took OSAP starting in 2003 to 2006 when I was at humber college, then I took osap from 2006-2009 while I was at university of guelph. I worked for two or three years and made regular payments on osap every month. In september 2015 I went back to college and took osap again. my question is how long before my osap is stopped? this is 3 year program and i will need to pay tuition for 4 more semesters.
Jul 22, 2015
2 posts
York, ON
ssharm02 wrote:
May 30th, 2016 3:09 pm
Hello, I took OSAP starting in 2003 to 2006 when I was at humber college, then I took osap from 2006-2009 while I was at university of guelph. I worked for two or three years and made regular payments on osap every month. In september 2015 I went back to college and took osap again. my question is how long before my osap is stopped? this is 3 year program and i will need to pay tuition for 4 more semesters.
I am in a similar situation, and have also attended multiple schools while receiving OSAP.
I've received OSAP for a total of two years, at two different schools (receiving OSAP for one year each).
Will I be eligible for OSAP funding if I choose to transfer to yet another (third) school?

Here is what my schooling and funding looks like so far:
  • Year 2013-14 at University A, funded by OSAP, performed poorly and was put on OSAP academic probation for the next period that I receive OSAP
  • Year 2014-15 at University A, self-funded
  • Year 2015-16 at College B, funded by OSAP on academic probation, received OSAP after submitting a 'Letter of Academic Progress', doing well, likely to get back to good-standing based on marks and completion of courses
I am looking to attend Year 2016-17 at University C, and hope to receive OSAP funding.
Will I be eligible for OSAP for that particular year, and for the 3 years that follow? Or would the second transfer (and third school) signal a lack of academic progress, and thus break my academic probation and put me on OSAP suspension for one year?

Thanks
Jan 24, 2010
60 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lovetolearn wrote:
May 25th, 2016 7:30 pm
i just completed my OSAP for 2016-2017 school year but i estimated wrong how much i would be making from may-august i will be leaving ontario to BC for school as well. How can i fix this? thanks
Talk to financial aid office (preferably in person). They have more access to your loans than you have online and can make changes 24/7.