Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Troubles proving common law status.
It states I can use an affidavit or other documents to prove but I've exhausted anything I could think of (mortgage statements, Childs information, etc)
And I really don't want to spend the time and money to get an affidavit (wife works far and it's hard to get time off).
Any other ideas on how to prove our relationship that has worked?

we have a son and have been living together for 5+ years.
Jan 25, 2008
176 posts
14 upvotes
Just received an email that I'll be getting OSOG payments. However, my OSAP has been paid for. How do I go about about collecting it. Will they send the money to my bank?
May 31, 2010
405 posts
20 upvotes
HoltAllen wrote:
Jul 16th, 2016 11:59 pm
Hey all, looking for some help!

I used the OSAP aid estimator and it came up with a figure of ~$11,000. After completing my actually OSAP application it gave me an early estimated amount of $6200. The application says it's still verifying information with third parties and that this process will take approximately 4-5 days. Should I expect the $6000 to be roughly in the ballpark of what to expect? Is the aid estimator usually that far off? I also noticed I over estimated my income for the two periods between January and September by about $~3000. Will having this changed have any significant impact on my estimate/loan amount?

Some quick background facts. I moved back in with my parents in January 2015 and am 27 years old. I think I would qualify as an independent student, though I don't know exactly what that means for OSAP. I also won't be working during my time at school, as my last shift is July 29th. Going back to school wasn't planned for this year, as I have been dealing with bad anxiety and depression. Between January and July 29th I've probably made somewhere in the range of $8300 (my application estimation amount was around $11,000). As I wasnt planning to go this year I didn't really have any savings to speak of.

Basically my concern is that the estimated amount is just barely enough to cover my tuition, compulsory fees, books and other direct education costs. Seeing as I won't have a job and you can't really work that much while on OSAP I feel as if I won't have much in the way of spending money for anything outside school. I'm more than willing to go it on the $6,200, it's just the aid estimator led me to believe at least some part of travel and living expenses would be compensated by OSAP.
You would be considered independent if you are 4 years removed from HS..otherwise what your parents make impacts your funding.
Aug 8, 2016
3 posts
Will OSAP income discrepancy have an impact on the "loan forgiveness program for rural doctors and nurses?" I'm about a week away from being able to apply for the rural forgiveness program on my Canada portion of the student loan and I just got a letter saying that my reported osap income is different from my actual income. Unsure if it will affect the Canada portion of my student loan? Thanks!
May 18, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton, ON
jrychlik wrote:
Jul 29th, 2016 11:55 am
It states I can use an affidavit or other documents to prove but I've exhausted anything I could think of (mortgage statements, Childs information, etc)
And I really don't want to spend the time and money to get an affidavit (wife works far and it's hard to get time off).

Are you going to Mohawk? You can get an affidavit for free at the MSA.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
WeTheNorthRTZ wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 8:13 am
jrychlik wrote:

No, Mac.
Contacted the MP in area, he says his guy is out of town till 15th. Hoping thats enough time... I think it should be though considering everything else is completed.
Jan 25, 2008
176 posts
14 upvotes
Stretchy wrote:
Aug 8th, 2016 4:55 pm
Just received an email that I'll be getting OSOG payments. However, my OSAP has been paid for. How do I go about about collecting it. Will they send the money to my bank?
Got my answer. They sent a cheque.
Aug 16, 2015
13 posts
Ottawa, ON
I finished school end of May, Till last week I Had the OSAG estimate on my osap page, but its not there anymore! What does that mean ?!
Thank you.
May 18, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton, ON
jrychlik wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 9:50 am
WeTheNorthRTZ wrote:
jrychlik wrote:

No, Mac.
Contacted the MP in area, he says his guy is out of town till 15th. Hoping thats enough time... I think it should be though considering everything else is completed.
Im assuming youve contacted Mac and asked if they have a solution? Kinda weird that Mohawk would have someone in the college that can do it on the spot and be done with it within 20 minutes and Mac has no solution!

Best of luck regardless!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1171 posts
79 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
WeTheNorthRTZ wrote:
Aug 12th, 2016 11:52 am
jrychlik wrote:
Aug 10th, 2016 9:50 am
WeTheNorthRTZ wrote:

No, Mac.
Im assuming youve contacted Mac and asked if they have a solution? Kinda weird that Mohawk would have someone in the college that can do it on the spot and be done with it within 20 minutes and Mac has no solution!

Best of luck regardless!
Yeah I've contacted mac and their answer was a blunt "you need an affadavit". Ive decided to get one through MP's office, although I have to wait till friday to get it done (hes on vacation, wife works). Im just hoping that this wont cause any issues with the date ill receive the money. I don't think it should since EVERYTHING else is completed and I've receieved my final quote from OSAP already but I dont know.
Aug 12, 2016
1 posts
Hi There,

I have about 40,000$ debts to osap. My payment starts from 2 month. The thing is given the family and working income and mortgage, nothing would be left to pay-off the osap. Is there any way to address that?

Thanks,
May 31, 2010
405 posts
20 upvotes
nabvkim wrote:
Aug 17th, 2016 7:30 pm
Hi There,

I have about 40,000$ debts to osap. My payment starts from 2 month. The thing is given the family and working income and mortgage, nothing would be left to pay-off the osap. Is there any way to address that?

Thanks,
Call them. Your payments can be decreased. Plus..I think Ontario is changing the rules and you will only have to start paying off loans once you earn more than 25k.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2009
1305 posts
83 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Hi there,

I have an existing OSAP loan that has been in repayment for close to 4 years now. In 2015, I decided to return to school on a part-time basis to upgrade my education in my field (healthcare). I'm attending university through distance education. The program is considered part-time, initially, but I have been approved to take 3 courses/semester which works out to 60% of a full course load (which OSAP considers full-time). I still work full-time and with no dependants, so I know I am not entitled to any additional loans, but are there any grants I can apply for that OSAP issues? My application for the 30% off tuition was declined as I've been out of high school for many years.

I have been put into an "in study" period with my current loans, just wondering if there are any grants out there for people like me who aren't new highschool grads and are upgrading their career prospects.