Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
SamyMike wrote: Wondering how long it will take to complete osap process in 2020......
Im thinking the same thing too. Although i applied back in 2016-2017 , got the fundings before school starts. But who knows this time. Hopefully application run smoothly this year
Jun 11, 2009
361 posts
Can I work full-time while on OSAP? A friend told them there is a limit how much I could work while on OSAP.

I work night-shifts and plan on attending full-time at Seneca for CTY.

I've already applied for OSAP and will be receiving around 5200 once my college confirms my enrollment.
The application did not ask for my employment status, just my gross income.
Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
lanken123 wrote: Can I work full-time while on OSAP? A friend told them there is a limit how much I could work while on OSAP.

I work night-shifts and plan on attending full-time at Seneca for CTY.

I've already applied for OSAP and will be receiving around 5200 once my college confirms my enrollment.
The application did not ask for my employment status, just my gross income.
When i was in college back in 2016-2017, there was a point in my osap application where they ask u how much u made in specific dates (sept-jan, jan-april) . I dnt remember exactly how the process works , but i guess I'll figure out when i apply this coming june ..
Feb 12, 2020
10 posts
Hello. I just want to ask if you are still eligible for osap if you dont have taxes to file because of no employment/job, .
I have a 15 month old son and common law with my partner.
Common-law works full time .

I am going back to college this September 2020 and got my offer already, im just wondering if im eligible for osap funds. Im really depending on osap for September 2020.
Feb 24, 2012
236 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Not sure how to answer the osap question "do you live with your parents". I am an older student at 27 and yes i live with my sister and dad who each own half the house. Would i check this yes or no
Jul 26, 2020
20 posts
2 upvotes
Hi,

When I entered zero assets into the OSAP estimator, it estimated a $5,800 grant and a $5,800 loan.
When I ran it again and entered 40K in assets, the estimation did not change.
Then I got curious and tried entering half a million in assets and still the estimation did not change.

Can anyone please explain how the assets affect the outcome?

Thank you!

(Note: parental information was not entered so only the federal part was assessed)
Aug 6, 2020
8 posts
7 upvotes
The grant is 100% your money through OSAP that you do not have to pay back.
Aug 26, 2004
883 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
ZevelOrgani wrote: Hi,

When I entered zero assets into the OSAP estimator, it estimated a $5,800 grant and a $5,800 loan.
When I ran it again and entered 40K in assets, the estimation did not change.
Then I got curious and tried entering half a million in assets and still the estimation did not change.

Can anyone please explain how the assets affect the outcome?

Thank you!

(Note: parental information was not entered so only the federal part was assessed)
I'd like to know that too.
Aug 22, 2020
2 posts
Does anyone know why ontario student grant is reduced? I got 9k last year and $354 this year provided everything else is same?
Although there is federal grants but where did ontario student grant go?
Jul 24, 2018
369 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone explain me about osap grant please? I was planning to do master. So master program asks around 50k for full program and per semester around 20k. How much osap grant could be for person who has income under 35k? Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
8476 posts
6210 upvotes
MateenA91575 wrote: Does anyone know why ontario student grant is reduced? I got 9k last year and $354 this year provided everything else is same?
Although there is federal grants but where did ontario student grant go?
Yeah I am curious about this too. My daughter had an estimate of $4K from Ontario grant and $6K loan a few days ago. Now they just revised and $0 from Ontario grant and $0 loan. only federal grant left. Not sure why the change. Is it something we could ask them to explain?
Dec 30, 2021
1 posts
I know exemption threshold for study period income is $5,600 per term and similarly $11,200 for two terms. However, if say the income is $7,000 in first term and $ 4,000 in second term I.e. total $11,000 for both terms. As the first term income is over $5,600, so would it effect OSAP funding? Or they would count income for both terms? In this case it would be under exemption threshold for study period for BOTH terms.

I would appreciate if someone clarify me this. - Thanks.
May 18, 2019
235 posts
130 upvotes
ON
i have question. My wife is planning to start a course and funding via OSAP. Does CRA/authorities checks money in saving/chequing account for deciding amount under OSAP?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6348 posts
6702 upvotes
Center of Canada
About OSAP, if parents have high income, kids will not get OSAP AND Grants at all. Am i correct?
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Banned
Oct 4, 2023
13 posts
6 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: About OSAP, if parents have high income, kids will not get OSAP AND Grants at all. Am i correct?
Never hurts to apply, worst that happens is they say no and you're in the same place. But theoretically no, you likely won't get anything that's needs-based. You can let OSAP make that decision. I'm wondering if there are scholarships that require you to apply through OSAP, but aren't needs based (but merit based instead). I remember that some scholarships require that you apply for OSAP - perhaps so they have legitimate copies/references of financial records:
Have you been out of high school for at least 6 years as of the start of your 2023-24 study period?
Yes * selected
No
You're considered to be an independent student. You don't have to provide information about your family in step 3.