Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1068 posts
26 upvotes
My daugher filed for OSAP and was told that she needs my Notice of assessment. Mcmaster has deadline of Jul 14 for the documentation and i just netfiled my taxes now. how long will it take to get my Notice of assessment? will My daugher OSAP be held up if i dont provide by Jul 14th?
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2133 posts
491 upvotes
if you do it now, the chances of it being assessed by July 14th is a bit small (may still possible). Create an account with CRA, login and check. If it's there, you can download it right away. Are you sure they need a copy of notice of assessment? Last time my daughter applied for undergrad OSAP (a couple of years back), they asked for line 150 (or something like that). if so you can use your number from your tax return. If you file after July 14th, you may not be able to pay her tuition fee using OSAP, e.g. you pay it first and get the OSAP money later. We always applied for OSAP late every year (around late August or beginning of September) and that was fine. OSAP deadline for Sep 2017 school year is like way later, probably beginning of 2018 even
Aug 10, 2015
227 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
Are you sure July 19th is the deadline for OSAP? and not McMaster's first installment payment? Because I always (like poster above) filled late August and got money once school started. But also my school has a deadline for people who are paying out of pocket mid-summer. However, if you get OSAP they will put a deferment on your account and won't get charged a late fee.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2016
1825 posts
661 upvotes
Mine was assessed almost immediately. If you log into your CRA account, you will see an interim assessment - PERHAPS, if you're lucky. The official one isn't available for over a week. Ask McMaster if they'll accept a copy of your interim assessment, if its available.
Jul 11, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
jacobe wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 2:00 pm
Anybody here who applied get the free tuition thing this coming September? I am curious on how this new rule going to be implemented.
I'm getting the "Free" Tuition as well. Basically from what I've heard, the Ontario government is amalgamating a bunch of their grants together, so instead of "Low Income Family", "Access Grant" and what not into one super grant for "Free" Tuition. So you still apply for OSAP as normal and if you qualify they give you grants equal to "the average tuition cost", so in my case for example, despite being eligible for the free tuition, I do not get Free tuition. My tuition totals approximately $8,812 while I am getting $8,700 in grants (And my tuition doesn't include all mandatory fees, that would bring it closer to $9,500, really not free then!!). To quote OSAP, it states as follows about the amalgamation of grants;
"To help more students qualify for grants and access the student loan system, the government will create a single major upfront grant — the Ontario Student Grant (OSG), starting in the 2017–18 school year. This will be done by redirecting 100 per cent of the funding from the 30% Off Ontario Tuition grant, Ontario Student Opportunity Grant, Ontario Access Grants and other grants offered by OSAP."
Another nice little note in the OSAP reforms includes this;
"Students from families with incomes of less than $50,000 will have no provincial student debt."
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
2038 posts
111 upvotes
North York
johnb56789 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 8:07 am
I'm getting the "Free" Tuition as well. Basically from what I've heard, the Ontario government is amalgamating a bunch of their grants together, so instead of "Low Income Family", "Access Grant" and what not into one super grant for "Free" Tuition. So you still apply for OSAP as normal and if you qualify they give you grants equal to "the average tuition cost", so in my case for example, despite being eligible for the free tuition, I do not get Free tuition. My tuition totals approximately $8,812 while I am getting $8,700 in grants (And my tuition doesn't include all mandatory fees, that would bring it closer to $9,500, really not free then!!). To quote OSAP, it states as follows about the amalgamation of grants;
"To help more students qualify for grants and access the student loan system, the government will create a single major upfront grant — the Ontario Student Grant (OSG), starting in the 2017–18 school year. This will be done by redirecting 100 per cent of the funding from the 30% Off Ontario Tuition grant, Ontario Student Opportunity Grant, Ontario Access Grants and other grants offered by OSAP."
Another nice little note in the OSAP reforms includes this;
"Students from families with incomes of less than $50,000 will have no provincial student debt."
Thanked. So my understanding is that in your scenario: $9500 - $8700 (OSAP grants) = $800 (what you really owe in loans or have to come up with yourself for the school year). That doesn't seem too bad. Tuition isn't exactly free but it sure does cost much less than what previous students had to borrow. I owed like $3K in my first year. Never had to borrow for the remaining years so I didn't rack up a lot of student debt. Is this your first time going to university and your family income is less than $50,000?

Anybody here who is applying as a mature student? I read that you have to be out of school for one full calendar year to qualify for this new funding system. Or is there someone who is getting a second degree? Is the funding similar?
Jul 11, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
jacobe wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 6:37 pm
Thanked. So my understanding is that in your scenario: $9500 - $8700 (OSAP grants) = $800 (what you really owe in loans or have to come up with yourself for the school year). That doesn't seem too bad. Tuition isn't exactly free but it sure does cost much less than what previous students had to borrow. I owed like $3K in my first year. Never had to borrow for the remaining years so I didn't rack up a lot of student debt. Is this your first time going to university and your family income is less than $50,000?

Anybody here who is applying as a mature student? I read that you have to be out of school for one full calendar year to qualify for this new funding system. Or is there someone who is getting a second degree? Is the funding similar?
Yes, that is my scenario, however, it doesn't include my living expenses and other school expenses. In total, an estimate that I got from OSAP said I am eligible for $14,800, with (my mistake in the first post) $7,900 Grants and $6,900 Loans (But this could change once I've applied). The $14,800 does not fully cover, I have to provide about $2000 or so which I do through my CPP/ Trillium and HST benefits. Right now, almost at the start of my third year, I'm sitting at about $13,000 in OSAP debt with more to come. It is my first time at university and family income of $35,000 approx.
Jul 15, 2017
1 posts
Hey everyone my name's is Greg. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction here. I have to complete a credit review form for OSAP and I'm beyond stressed out over it. I'm hoping to find some sort of assistance completing it. Are there any guides or resources out there for this? Thanks in advance!
Jun 24, 2017
3 posts
Hey there everyone,

I've posted a question in a different thead labeled "The OSAP Rescrition" thread but there hasn't been anybody that could help me out with my questions.

I have a restriction on my OSAP file for filing for a consumer proposal while having an outstanding Canada Student Loan. The loan was only $1,200, I just finished paying it this week. I was told by the NSLSC that once I did that, after 10 days my account would settle and I could just call them and they would remove the restriction from my file. HOWEVER, I have this SECOND restriction on my file which is very mistirous and not even officers from the financial aid office at my school could figure it out. It was placed on my file at the time of filing for my comsumer proposal, but the NSLSC is saying that, that particular restricion is with Ontario (provincial level), and not at the Federal level which had to do with paying off the loan amount.

Is there anybody that can shed some light on this situation? I know being unable to pay off those $1,200 I owed in student loans before filing my CP was the biggest mistake of my life so far, but I am incredibly frustrated as I have not been able to receive OSAP all of last year and I am moving REALLY SLOW with school (can only afford to pay for 1 course every semester while working full time).

Please any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Thank you!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2133 posts
491 upvotes
Has anyone received his/her OSOG yet? my daughter's school year ended in May but as of today OSOG for loan reduction is not in her account yet. Is it depending on university? hers is uOttawa
Jul 20, 2017
269 posts
67 upvotes
Finally the federal gov published a sketch of the rules for the federal tuition grants for students..
As usual some details are missing, it only provides a range of numbers. it seems that Ontario students loose a little, all the others gain quite a lot ( I guess trudeau is sure that he will win in Ontario, no matter what he does). The website does not exactly defines the clawback percentage ( it looks like 5%), neither has a calculator. Previously the grants were based on different income levels for each province. Now that has been replaced with one level for all the country...this seems unfair to ontario that has the highest living costs.. so alberta, sask, nb and ns vote trudeau ...
Mar 6, 2015
227 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
If one change program in post secondary institution and hence lengthen his or her study, how will his or her osap be affected?
Jul 11, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
Well, as per the norm, the government has screwed me over yet AGAIN!!!

I put in my OSAP application and received my funding summary a little while ago and see that despite having such a low family income (WAY under the threshold for "Free tuition") magically, I am not eligible for it?!?!

My estimate shows the following;
Grants; $6,116 + Loans; $6,930 = Total; $13,046 (LESS than my first year under the old system)

Almost $3,000 UNDER what the initial estimate showed and I have NOTHING that should bring it down that far (The ONLY thing is that my brother is starting post secondary meaning my mother has to help two kids through school with her income). Despise both Trudeau and Wynne that's for sure, this "Free tuition" thing was the ONLY saving grace for Wynne but she's managed to go and blow it for me.
Jul 11, 2017
17 posts
9 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 6:27 pm
If one change program in post secondary institution and hence lengthen his or her study, how will his or her osap be affected?
Well, I changed my program (From BAcc Bachelor of Accounting to BBA Bachelor of Business Admin) and so far nothing has changed for me, I will be going into my third year now under the BBA after completing two years of the BAcc. In my case, every course I have done carries over so there is very little catching up, hence not much extra if any time at all tacked onto my degree. My OSAP this coming year is much lower than it should be, so I'm not sure if it is caused by the change or the new system yet. I emailed my Student Aid office to get them to start looking into it, but I highly doubt a program change would affect OSAP, so long as you don't hit the lifetime maximum.
Aug 31, 2017
1 posts
Hi so I'm suppose to get $2860 in my bank after tuition but I only received $1000 would THE give me the rest after couple of days? This is just for the 60%