Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Sep 7, 2017
7 posts
Kayla1503 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:59 am
Really? Good that urs came in right away! Wouldn't mind if mine came in lol!
When you called, did they tell you when they released your money?
My agent said they released the Federal portion last Wednesday and the Provincial portion on Thursday, therefore the Federal came in today and the Provincial will come in tonight or tomorrow morning!
Sep 6, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
They said they went through with it being released & it takes a few business days so by Friday I should have it, or they r releasing on Friday & then a few business days from then? It was kinda confusing & hard to hear cuz my kids were screaming as I was trying to listen. I'm hoping by Friday it'll be in my account so I can buy my books & stuff.
Jul 20, 2017
141 posts
20 upvotes
johnb56789 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 11:07 am
Well, as per the norm, the government has screwed me over yet AGAIN!!!

I put in my OSAP application and received my funding summary a little while ago and see that despite having such a low family income (WAY under the threshold for "Free tuition") magically, I am not eligible for it?!?!

My estimate shows the following;
Grants; $6,116 + Loans; $6,930 = Total; $13,046 (LESS than my first year under the old system)

Almost $3,000 UNDER what the initial estimate showed and I have NOTHING that should bring it down that far (The ONLY thing is that my brother is starting post secondary meaning my mother has to help two kids through school with her income). Despise both Trudeau and Wynne that's for sure, this "Free tuition" thing was the ONLY saving grace for Wynne but she's managed to go and blow it for me.
Having a brother in univ. should help your case. The whole "Free tuition" slogan is a PR stunt. What is not shown on your OSAP is that your family also lost the ONT tuition credits worth about $1000 and any OSOG if you had any last year...
Sep 7, 2017
7 posts
Kayla1503 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:28 am
They said they went through with it being released & it takes a few business days so by Friday I should have it, or they r releasing on Friday & then a few business days from then? It was kinda confusing & hard to hear cuz my kids were screaming as I was trying to listen. I'm hoping by Friday it'll be in my account so I can buy my books & stuff.
You can login your NSLSC account & see when it was released. I checked mine shortly after I called and it says it was released on Wednesday & the second portion on Thursday. Then it processed over the weekend and I got it today & the second portion tomorrow. It's all listed in your NSLSC account :)
Sep 6, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Hmm. I can't seem to sign on to the nslsc because I have no idea where to find my loan number or registration number & when I asked them on the phone they said I would get that after I get the money? Which kinda defeats the purpose of checking the status online? Lol! But the osap site now says Released & says it's been deposited as of today. So maybe by Friday I should get something. I would like to buy my books! :)
Jul 11, 2017
10 posts
4 upvotes
Sebastian6300 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 12:05 pm
Having a brother in univ. should help your case. The whole "Free tuition" slogan is a PR stunt. What is not shown on your OSAP is that your family also lost the ONT tuition credits worth about $1000 and any OSOG if you had any last year...
You would think for sure my mother having to support TWO kids through post secondary that I'd be able to get more. I went to the Registrar at my school and they said that apparently my CPP Disability Dependent Benefits that I get now also count as OSAP grants in the eyes of the Government, so I am getting $13,046 + $1,930 = $14,974, when it didn't count as that last year under the old system. Plain and simple, NEW SYSTEM SUCKS. And I've been seeing so many articles on the New OSAP how it's "helping more students", my guess is that there's gonna be a lot more angry students that are getting less under this new system that may be getting something like CPP as well
Sep 14, 2017
10 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
tomerayz wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 10:50 am
I see. Mine states Ready to Release between Sept 11-13. I checked my bank this morning and got two payments from them; one was the canada loan & the other was the canada grant. I'm just waiting for the Ontario grant now.
IIRC you only receive the payment in two instalments?
CJ
Sep 6, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
So my osap still isn't in. Estimated date said sept 8-12. & on the 12 the osap site says Released. But still nothing in my bank?
Mar 15, 2010
33 posts
1 upvote
Tdot
My tuition has been paid but not on my bank account yet is this normal?
Sep 6, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
It'll prob show up in ur account Monday. Maybe they released the funds to the school first then the balance to ur account but since its Friday, you prob won't see it until Monday.
Sep 14, 2017
1 posts
Nslsc website says the disbursement date was Sept 14, and there is still nothing in my bank account. Is this normal?
Sep 7, 2017
7 posts
whatthechell wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 1:21 am
IIRC you only receive the payment in two instalments?
It changed this year with the new OSAP. I got 3 payments. The first two came at the same time, they were the Federal payments. The other came in the next day, it was the Provincial payment.
Kayla1503 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 7:44 am
So my osap still isn't in. Estimated date said sept 8-12. & on the 12 the osap site says Released. But still nothing in my bank?
That's weird. Mine changed to "Released" 4 days AFTER I already got the money in my account. Released means that it's already in your account.
Sep 7, 2017
7 posts
sumdeepleep wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 10:15 am
Nslsc website says the disbursement date was Sept 14, and there is still nothing in my bank account. Is this normal?
That's the day they released it. It still needs to be processed by your bank. That can take about 3-5 business days but since it was released yesterday, I'm going to guess your money will be in your account by Monday morning or Monday night latest.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4104 posts
1855 upvotes
Edmonton
Kayla1503 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 12:29 pm
Weird. Maybe it's just processing in my bank. I know it sounds privileged to complain but I wish it came in sooner so I can pick up my books & do the assignments that have already been assigned. Grimacing Face
No money saved up from working over the summer? Are people starting school these days with no resources of their own?

C
Sep 6, 2017
10 posts
1 upvote
Some people have other resources, but some also rely on Osap, because they have other life responsibilities to pay for, rent, car, kids etc...