Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Sep 11, 2014
149 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
whatthechell wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 7:46 pm
Does the OSAP website say it has been released? Contact your financial aid office, otherwise have you checked your student account to make sure the funds weren't deposited direct?
Yes it says its been released however I never got a message from the nslsc. I also cannot contact them because all of their phone options don't allow me to speak with a live agent. I also checked my student account and it says I still owe the full amount so I have no idea whats going on. I'd also like to mention that I am a returning student. I graduated from a University for business a year ago and am now attending college for a tech program.
Sep 14, 2017
23 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
Juggernaut1 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:26 pm
Yes it says its been released however I never got a message from the nslsc. I also cannot contact them because all of their phone options don't allow me to speak with a live agent. I also checked my student account and it says I still owe the full amount so I have no idea whats going on. I'd also like to mention that I am a returning student. I graduated from a University for business a year ago and am now attending college for a tech program.
The NSLSC is a bitch to get through to. If you select the option for "current student" and then select "change of address" you will be directed to a live agent. I've called 3 times in the last week and each time using the "change of address" prompt I've been put through within 2 mins. I also only got an email from them like 5 days AFTER my OSAP had been put in my account, so you may not get anything before that happens.
CJ
Sep 11, 2014
149 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
whatthechell wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:33 pm
The NSLSC is a bitch to get through to. If you select the option for "current student" and then select "change of address" you will be directed to a live agent. I've called 3 times in the last week and each time using the "change of address" prompt I've been put through within 2 mins. I also only got an email from them like 5 days AFTER my OSAP had been put in my account, so you may not get anything before that happens.
Oh i see. It has been 7 days since my status changed to release so I'll trying using the method you mentioned in order to talk to them. Thanks.
Oct 5, 2017
1 posts
Sorry for the ignorance but is 25% interest of monthly repay normal?

Say, I'm repaying $100 monthly and they take ridiculous 25% of it and only $75 gets paid?
Oct 21, 2017
1 posts
Hi everyone, I recently checked my status on OSAP application for 2017/2018 that says 'Restricted' for significant income variance. I was going through this forum and saw some of you have faced the same situation. On the website, it doesn't fully describe what will be consequences or how I should deal with it but I do need the Osap in order to complete my last year. In additional information, they only mentioned that I will receive a package for further details. I am extremely concerned because usually when I fill out the Osap application, I go through my T4 and tax summary to put the numbers in. At this point, I am not sure what I have done wrong to receive such a restriction. Can anyone tell me how serious it is? and if there is any way of resolving it? Also what options usually what options do they give you? I do want to point out that this is my first time receiving such restriction. As far I recall, I have not gotten previous notice of anything on my OSAP application. If anyone faced the same situation please if you could share the best practice to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance.
Sep 2, 2015
79 posts
16 upvotes
East York, ON
isyed200 wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2017 9:24 am
Hi everyone, I recently checked my status on OSAP application for 2017/2018 that says 'Restricted' for significant income variance. I was going through this forum and saw some of you have faced the same situation. On the website, it doesn't fully describe what will be consequences or how I should deal with it but I do need the Osap in order to complete my last year. In additional information, they only mentioned that I will receive a package for further details. I am extremely concerned because usually when I fill out the Osap application, I go through my T4 and tax summary to put the numbers in. At this point, I am not sure what I have done wrong to receive such a restriction. Can anyone tell me how serious it is? and if there is any way of resolving it? Also what options usually what options do they give you? I do want to point out that this is my first time receiving such restriction. As far I recall, I have not gotten previous notice of anything on my OSAP application. If anyone faced the same situation please if you could share the best practice to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance.
Talk to your school's osap office.
Nov 25, 2014
48 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Does OSAP provide loan for rent, if you're living 9km away from mother?

If I'm living with my mom, then OSAP won't give rent I believe?

Also, I was reading, if you've not been out of high school for more than 4 years, then you need to be living at least 40km away from your parents.. so after 4years, if I'm living about 9km away from my mom, OSAP will provide loan for rent, is it?

Thank you for any help.

Hope you have a great day!
Sep 2, 2015
79 posts
16 upvotes
East York, ON
suzie994 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:21 pm
Does OSAP provide loan for rent, if you're living 9km away from mother?

If I'm living with my mom, then OSAP won't give rent I believe?

Also, I was reading, if you've not been out of high school for more than 4 years, then you need to be living at least 40km away from your parents.. so after 4years, if I'm living about 9km away from my mom, OSAP will provide loan for rent, is it?

Thank you for any help.

Hope you have a great day!
i applied for osap as an adult and they never asked where my parents live. i think after the 4 years are done they don't care anymore
Nov 25, 2014
48 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Silkweave wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:28 pm
i applied for osap as an adult and they never asked where my parents live. i think after the 4 years are done they don't care anymore
Hi Silkweave,

Thank you for your answer. Do you know about student line of credit as well? if the loc gives money for rent if living or not living with parents?

Thank you alot.
Nov 25, 2014
48 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
original post- http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-get- ... p-2145348/

Hello,

Could you please help me, if you know..how we can get maximum Student Line of Credit.. Does LOC check how much I get from OSAP?

I read you should apply LOC before applying OSAP.

I was wondering what will determine how much I get from LOC. I'm planning to apply from RBC. When RBC asks how much will I get from OSAP, I'll have to give exact numbers?
Will showing OSAP fund decrease the amount of fund from LOC?

I'm sorry, I have no idea how this works as I've never tried to apply LOC before. Does the LOC just give you how much you ask for, or LOC determines themselves how much I'm suppose to receive?

How can I get maximum funding?

Thank you very much for help.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2250 posts
525 upvotes
suzie994 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:21 pm
original post- http://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-get- ... p-2145348/

Hello,

Could you please help me, if you know..how we can get maximum Student Line of Credit.. Does LOC check how much I get from OSAP?

I read you should apply LOC before applying OSAP.

I was wondering what will determine how much I get from LOC. I'm planning to apply from RBC. When RBC asks how much will I get from OSAP, I'll have to give exact numbers?
Will showing OSAP fund decrease the amount of fund from LOC?

I'm sorry, I have no idea how this works as I've never tried to apply LOC before. Does the LOC just give you how much you ask for, or LOC determines themselves how much I'm suppose to receive?

How can I get maximum funding?

Thank you very much for help.
Last year when my daughter getting professional LOC from TD, the rep went over her expenses to determine the final amounts, she never asked about OSAP. This was after 4 year undergrad for my daughter though, so not sure if it makes a difference if it were for undergrad
Nov 25, 2014
48 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
mkl38s wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 2:44 pm
Last year when my daughter getting professional LOC from TD, the rep went over her expenses to determine the final amounts, she never asked about OSAP. This was after 4 year undergrad for my daughter though, so not sure if it makes a difference if it were for undergrad
Thank you for the answer. Also, I really needed to know.. if OSAP gives money for rent if im living within 40km from my mom? im 4 yr out of high school..
ill be living about 1km from my mom..

Thank you very much for your help.

Hope you have a good day.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2250 posts
525 upvotes
suzie994 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 8:33 pm
Thank you for the answer. Also, I really needed to know.. if OSAP gives money for rent if im living within 40km from my mom? im 4 yr out of high school..
ill be living about 1km from my mom..

Thank you very much for your help.

Hope you have a good day.
I don't remember if OSAP was asking about leaving with parents or not, one thing for sure though, OSAP never asked about parents income. They however did ask though ,whether you will be getting help from your parents, and if you will, how much would that be per term. As an adult student, I don't think they expect parents to help out anymore
Sep 2, 2015
79 posts
16 upvotes
East York, ON
suzie994 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:16 pm
Hi Silkweave,

Thank you for your answer. Do you know about student line of credit as well? if the loc gives money for rent if living or not living with parents?

Thank you alot.
LIne of credit isn't like osap, there's a fixed amount and it depends entirely on whether someone with a job can guarantee the loan. i haven't had one (except the one I'm paying off right now) in years tho, you could just ask a bank. But IMO it's not worth getting one unless you really don't get enough from osap.
Mar 26, 2013
297 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Typically a student line of credit is a maximum of 20,000 per year while in studies