Students

Osap tips/advice/questions

Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45507 posts
11944 upvotes
She's not a mature student because she will hopefully be attending post-secondary right after high school next year.
Jan 8, 2009
679 posts
306 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 3:01 pm
She's not a mature student because she will hopefully be attending post-secondary right after high school next year.
As johnb56789 said parental income is a determinant for OSAP for non-mature students. If she will be in residence/living away from home, she will be entitled to more money. If she will only be a little short and does not want to take or need the loan portion from OSAP, she can apply giving all the required information and then take only the grants. That might give her the little extra she needs.
Jan 6, 2018
1 posts
My parents pulled out 22k. And I handed in my paper recently to update my account for osap. Are there anything I should expect from osap. They've funded me for the fall term and winter term is starting in a week for Sheridan College. FinAid office said Osap will most likely pull out of Fundings since 15k is like a limitation
Nov 25, 2014
50 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hello,

I'm going to apply for request of living allowance on my OSAP application. It asks for a rental agreement as proof. So I was wondering, if I should write in the rental agreement that I started to rent since Jan 1 or Feb 1. because I'm concerned if I write Jan 1, then OSAP will not give me money since they think I already have $1400 (2month rent 700+700) to give to the landlord.

Or should this not be a problem?

Because I really want to make sure OSAP would consider my request for rent allowance. I don't wanna mess up. I really need to get approved for rent allowance..

Or, would it be better to write the rent from February 1, because it makes sense, since I haven't lived on the rent yet, so OSAP could send me money..

Could anyone please help me regarding this, if you have any idea about this..

If you have any further question, please feel free to ask me.

Thank you very much.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/osap-li ... #p28786189
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1890 posts
581 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Question:

I did a fulltime application for this winter semester as I thought I will be taking 3 courses. However when all was said and done I ended up taking 2 only which makes me part-time.

Osap already calculated my funding based on a full time course load and said they are waiting for my school to confirm enrollment but it has been like 3 weeks and my tuition is now overdue (I have paid it via my own money but I usually have osap by this time).

My question is what happens now? I assume my school will tell osap I am part time, will I get no funding or will it be recalculated?

Thanks
Jul 2, 2014
15 posts
OSAP recently recalculated my funding and are saying that I owe them about $1400. How did they get this amount and why would they do this? I've been up to date with all my financial information, been attending classes regularly, and doing well grade wise. Two of my friends have also received the same message and OSAP is saying that we were all overpaid. Who do I contact about this?
Mar 2, 2018
1 posts
Hello everyone!

I just have a few questions.

I am about to finish my studies, and I am looking for information on my OSAP repayment.

So I am married to someone who works in the USA. Our plan was for me to move there permanently, given that we are married. However, the one issue is that there MAY be a possibility that I cannot work in the USA for a few years. I may get lucky and get a job and I can repay back my OSAP, but if I do not, I would be out of a job for several years.

My husband is already paying back his own OSAP, which is over $500 a month. Would OSAP expect him to pay my OSAP bill? Or, would it solely be based on my own earnings?

Another question that bothers me: what happens if we end up having children and I stop working for a bit? Would OSAP also expect my husband to cover my OSAP bill on top of his own?

I really do want to pay my bill, but the money that I and my husband would make in Ontario would cause him to not be able to pay his own bill, which is why he moved in the first place. But, he also cannot pay another $400 for my own bill if I am not working!
Feb 24, 2018
124 posts
37 upvotes
Does anyone have any updated info on doing a part-time job and OSAP? I'm working part-time atm and will till May, also plan to start school in May. I don't work a tonne of hours, 10-20 per week till school starts and I'm not an 18 year old student or someone who's still in the first four years of an undergrad or within 4 years of high school. When I initially applied last month and got my Osap funding for this program, I wasn't working at all.

Also, do they ask you to earn/contribute $3,000 on your own via part-time jobs now during the summer even if you're doing 3 semesters in a row and not planning to take the summer off?
Jan 21, 2018
12 posts
1 upvote
I have been approved for RAP, now what does interest outstanding at statement end date mean?

2018/03/12 Interest Outstanding at Statement End Date $41.87
2018/03/12 Closing Balance $22,763.74
2018/02/27 Repayment Assistance* -$14.29 $22,763.74
2018/02/27 Repayment Assistance* -$107.83 $22,763.74
Mar 12, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
I have heard that if an individual is on RAP a certain # of times, the government eventually kicks in more funding/aids in paying off one's loan more aggressively. Is this correct? I have been approved for RAP 6x. At what point do I move into the next stage, and what does that involve?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45507 posts
11944 upvotes
Now that we've filed our 2017 tax returns, is it time for my daughter to apply for OSAP or is it better to wait until June when all the possible school offers would have come out? I read somewhere and noted that it's best to apply by June 15, 2018.

We're leaning towards UofT for now and with that, there will definitely not be any residency or living away from home but it all depends if she gets a few more offers or not.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1720 posts
87 upvotes
Barrie
I'll be in my final semester of nursing soon, which consists of 450 hours of praxis. Will I be able to get OSAP for this? I'll essentially be working full time (and earning nothing) which will make it hard for me to work my actual job and I'm concerned about making ends meet.
May 19, 2015
588 posts
198 upvotes
chickibum wrote:
Apr 12th, 2018 8:47 am
I'll be in my final semester of nursing soon, which consists of 450 hours of praxis. Will I be able to get OSAP for this? I'll essentially be working full time (and earning nothing) which will make it hard for me to work my actual job and I'm concerned about making ends meet.
it depends if your school submits to OSAP that you are full time. Is this part of your bachelor degree? You should be fine. If this was separate somehow or if you know your fin aid won't submit confirmation of full time enrolment then you don't get OSAP at all.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Apr 29, 2018
4 posts
Toronto
Hi Folks. I recently applied for OSAP for the first time. However, there was no MSFAA form or signature pages to download anywhere in the application . Do they turn up at a later stage on the required documents section? TIA
Engineer by profession .. Analyst by choice.
Sep 2, 2015
107 posts
21 upvotes
East York, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Apr 11th, 2018 11:50 am
Now that we've filed our 2017 tax returns, is it time for my daughter to apply for OSAP or is it better to wait until June when all the possible school offers would have come out? I read somewhere and noted that it's best to apply by June 15, 2018.

We're leaning towards UofT for now and with that, there will definitely not be any residency or living away from home but it all depends if she gets a few more offers or not.
you apply separately for each school (or at least I did, but as a mature student) so you might as well get started on the UofT one at least.